Rio 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rio 2 Reviews

April 17, 2017
I was very disappointed with this film. The first movie is fun and colorful, but this one is just super boring and doesn't make any sense to me. The ending was stupid and the plot bad. At least some of the songs were good though.
April 14, 2017
While sometimes fun to watch, this movie is overall not that great. It's kind of a retread of the first movie and is overly silly. Like a lot of other animated movies these days.
April 1, 2017
Bad and really forgettable, I was disappointed in the theatre. I forgot this even existed.
½ February 23, 2017
Colourful sequel, more so in its animation rather than story.
February 19, 2017
I can write a whole five-page article of why this movie is terrible. However, the main problem this movie has, for well over half of it, is its focus... The movie has no idea what plot and/or characters the audience should focus on and care about, at all. It jumps around from subplot to subplot, and keeps adding unnecessary new characters left-and-right. Blue Sky should seriously consider themselves to stop making sequels. Let Dreamworks or perhaps Disney/Pixar do it instead.
January 31, 2017
This movie was awesome!!! It was a surprisingly good sequel to the original. It had a really good storyline. It was definitely worth seeing in 3-D!!! The special effects were really cool!!! The movie also had some fun songs that kids will enjoy.
January 15, 2017
nothing special...few laughs.
January 11, 2017
I really enjoyed this sequel and thought they did a great job at continuing with the story. Look forward to more from these guys
January 4, 2017
The film is seen as the main venue of the first part, like Brazil, but now mostly reflected spectacular rainforests.
The film is raised in regard to the protection of the rain forest.
In spite of the spectacular and colorful scenery of the plot does not rise the level of the first movie.
An example could be that the in-law and father in law difficult initial ratio is so exhausted.
Many of the sympathetic animal characters are a plus, but not the main character, namely stuttering accustomed to urban life parrot.
January 1, 2017
A psychotically sadistic anti-male sexist movie. I seriously wonder if the writers of this movie are going to mass murder a group of men eventually.
½ December 30, 2016
The first movie is better than the sequel
December 22, 2016
part 1 better than this one this one's story's ok
December 19, 2016
Cute and colourful.. was almost as good as the first.. Which is a real surprise as sequels don't normally live up to the first movie.. thumbs up from me
December 8, 2016
Constant splash of colorful animation makes this successor as much fun, despite the blatant only-ones-lefts-finds-their-hidden-shockingly-still-surviving-tribe template.
November 17, 2016
WTF this movie gets 65% and the other rio 2 gets 50 something %. Wow people do not have good taste in movies.
November 17, 2016
I want to see this movie
½ November 17, 2016
When I first started watching this movie I was optimistic. Rio was a stunning success. the villain was solid and the animations were the bomb. I thought, for sure, Rio 2 the sing along version would be even better. I was ready with a plastic microphone next to me ready to jam out with these tropical creature. but I was very disappointed. The songs could not hold my attention. I'll be the first to admit, as a 15 year old guy, I don't have the best attention span. But I even had an easier time singing along to Barbie and the Nutcracker than this. Not satisfied.
November 3, 2016
I really liked it. Watch it w/ my grandson and it's pretty funny.
October 17, 2016
Fun, if a bit flawed. The major thing I can say for it is, at least, that the plot of the first is not exactly recycled as such, though a version of it comes up with a twist. The animation was again spectacular, especially in the musical sequences. Plus, there were some good gags, and set pieces, and a relevant environmental message. Overall, it was a hoot that I enjoyed.

As I said, however, it was not without problems. For starters, none of the songs were really as memorable than those of the first film (I distinctly recalled "Hot Wings" from the first clearly after watching the film), and the plot has some issues. It seems to try to do so much that, in the end, a lot of the side characters don't get nearly enough screen time, and subplots came up and then seemed to be forgotten 10 minutes later (most noticeably the plot line involving Roberto and Jewel, and the one dealing with the rivalry with the scarlet macaws). Not film-ruining, perhaps, but it still could have done with a bit of a cut-down on the initial build-up, or an extra half hour or so to let everything breathe and resolve better.

Ultimately, I did enjoy it a lot, but at the same time, I can't see myself recommending it as readily as the original. It's not as bad or unnecessary as some sequels end up being, at least, and if you can overlook the fact that it's not perfect, either as a film or as a sequel to Rio, then you'll no doubt find it enjoyable.
½ October 5, 2016