Robin Hood: Men in Tights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Robin Hood: Men in Tights Reviews

October 13, 2016
This movie was just laugh out loud funny... still among my favorites.
August 17, 2016
OK. Obviously it could be better... Nonetheless, Mel Brooks' fans, such as me, love it for its witty humour.
½ July 24, 2016
Acceptable mindless fun. I wouldn't seek belly laughs here, but you will chuckle a lot.
½ July 18, 2016
I thought it was pretty funny, Clever in parts but silly and over the top in other parts.
June 22, 2016
Continuing our improvised summer holiday Robin Hood film theme.

OK, so I'm no big Mel Brooks fan to start with, except for maybe The Producers and Blazing Saddles, I never think his movies are more than a string of loosely connected hit and miss sketches. This was way too lowbrow, in a bad way. The one redeeming factor was the incredible Roger Rees as the Sheriff of Rottingham, He was actually a better villain than Alan Rickman in Prince of Thieves, which is not a bad feat, I guess what I wanted was more in line with the silliness in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. So, even if I had just seen most of the films that Brooks spoofs, this didn't work for me, at all.

My son, who's 13, love it though, and would have given it 4.5 stars... Oh well, each to his own.
½ June 19, 2016
The best spoof film since "Young Frankenstein!" Another piece of work to show why the 90's rocked! They call me Little John, but don't let my name fool you, in real life, very big. There are so many great lines!
June 9, 2016
Hilarious film! Cary Elwes is fantastic in it, pulling off the jubilant and non-chalantness with a comic bravado all his own. Chappelle is hysterical as Achoo, and Brooks replacement of the Friar Tuck with Rabbi Tuckman is hysterical. A cameo from Patrick Stewart closes out a fantastic movie.
½ May 19, 2016
Robin Hood: Men in Tights is an obvious spoof of the classic, Robin Hood story and largely sets its satirical sights on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves which came out a couple years prior, but the film's lackluster execution and lame jokes let me down in a big way. I'm a fan of Mel Brooks' style of comedy, but the writing for this movie just wasn't there and many of the jokes feel like they were aimed at 10 year-olds as I was cringing more than laughing. The story is exactly what you'd expect, apart from the stealing from the rich part, as this, Robin is more just a nuisance to the king and the sheriff of "Rottingham", but uses his charisma and skills with a bow and arrow to get out of situations him and his merry men, have gotten themselves into. The cast is fairly solid and Cary Elwes is clearly having a great time, beaming constantly, but he can't rise above the childish script and the film really only provided a couple chuckles for me, mostly at the random-as-hell song and dance moments. Funny-man, Dave Chappelle appears and surprisingly says/does absolutely nothing funny and his character honestly didn't need to be there! Basically, if you're a Mel Brooks completionist, it's passable for a one-time watch, but as a stand-alone comedy it is seriously lacking.
½ January 30, 2016
A guilty pleasure spoof.
January 24, 2016
Robin Hood: Men in Tights is a parody film directed by Mel Brooks and is based on the legend of Robin Hood. It didn't really made that many money, but it has a cult following for it, which after watching it, I can see why, but I wouldn't go out and say that it's as enjoyably funny as Mel Brook's previous parody films. Cary Elwes is having a lot of fun in this, and is probably the perfect guy to play Robin Hood. The humor is mostly a hit, but then there are some running jokes that weren't that funny, although there hasn't been a joke that I start to groan at. The villain is funny in it also, and the action scenes are entertaining to watch which they gave me some chuckles. So even though Robin Hood: Men In Tights isn't that much of a comedic classic as Blazing Saddles, Spaceballs, and Young Frankenstein, but I was still entertained by the film and just thought it was a good time.
December 5, 2015
Another good Mel Brooks showing.
November 29, 2015
This was one of my favorite films as a kid, and it still is. There is no waiting around for anything in this film because every other line or action is a joke. Mel Brooks is a genius.

Tagline: Unlike some other Robin Hoods, this one can speak with an English accent.
November 5, 2015
One of the earliest parodies I'd ever watched back then.
½ September 26, 2015
Fun, satiric comedy from one of the masters (Mel Brooks). Cary Elwes plays Robin Hood better than any other I've seen on screen. Jokes are often cheesy or bad- but it doesn't make it any less fun to watch.
September 15, 2015
lame but funny. and a lot of 90s references that date it horribly. but I still have a soft spot for it, and for Cary.
August 23, 2015
Do you like Robin Hood? Do you like funny and simple movies? If so this is your movie. If don't just avoid it. By simple I don't mean boring or plain. It's just a reminder of how sometimes just a few simple jokes from one liner moments can make us laugh.
August 11, 2015
It's not perfect by any means, but this is the only Mel Brooks film I can tolerate.
July 19, 2015
Pretty good in comedy, the problem was you kind of saw most of the comedy coming :/
July 6, 2015
Hysterical, meta, and self referential. Dave Chappelle steals the show.