Royal Wedding Reviews

• Feb 13, 2019

Absolutely dreadful. These dancing guys were strange, to say the least. A 50 year old man with a 20 year old sister?? Really? I guess that's better than the typical treatment of them falling in love. Usually these tip toe men are dancing perverts on screen: attacking the youngest and best looking teenager they can find. However, Astaire is much better than Gene Kelly, who is self-absorbed and arrogant. Astaire seems to be a decent guy at least. As to the hyped "dancing on the ceiling"...are you kidding? This is another Hollywood trick that anyone could do. No talent required. Why hype this as something great and special? 1951 was not that backward. As to Astaire's choices of clothing, let's all just groan. Like Gene Kelly, he is hopelessly unstylish and ridiculous in attire. Jane Powell is gorgeous and has class and talent. She is the star of this film.

• Feb 02, 2019

The best musical romance movie ever made!

The best musical romance movie ever made!

• Aug 14, 2017

Thankfully, you can skip through the parts that just don't hold up. In my case that's every time someone sings without dancing. Don't miss the ship board dance on the rolling sea. Remember, when they fall down, there are no stunt doubles. My favorite number is "How can I believe you when you've been a liar all your life," involving the tricky business of singing, dancing and chewing gum at the same time. Of course we all love the dancing up the walls bit, which holds up even now. The plot is so weak it's completely maddening. By the way, the official blurb for this movie doesn't even get it right. They don't actually attend the Royal Wedding. Fred Astaire's love interest is the daughter of a pubkeeper. I guess no one paid or pays attention to the plot, then or now.

• Jul 13, 2017

dancing on the ceiling is a must-watch, even if you eon't like musicals!

dancing on the ceiling is a must-watch, even if you eon't like musicals!

• Jun 30, 2017

This wonderful little Astaire rom-com immediately felt like a cozy blanket that's always been with me. My knowledge is admittedly limited, but it's my favorite of Freddy's films: a familiar but appealing story, quick screwball dialogue ("How could you believe me when I said I love you when you know I've been a liar all my life?), great chemistry between the brother-sister leads, all peppered with randomly colorful and impressively catchy musical numbers. Top-notch, fluffy Hollywood entertainment.

• Jun 04, 2016

Charles Walters' colorful MGM musical features Astaire's famous dance on the ceiling, but it's really Jane Powell - in her first adult film role - that sparkles, matching Astaire in their numbers together and singing several lovely ballads, including the Oscar-nominated "Too Late Now." Sarah Churchill was Winston's daughter.

• May 10, 2016

Who would not want to see Fred Astaire for his fabulous dance routines and for Peter Lawford and his suave Lady Killer persona....Jane Powell adds the beautiful girl power to the movie and Boom!!! another great musical the likes will never be seen again by audiences in big screen movie houses....how Sad. Luckily will still can see them on our big screen high definition TV's in the comfort of our homes....

• Jan 02, 2016

Timeless classic with one of my favourite Fred Astaire dance numbers ever!

Timeless classic with one of my favourite Fred Astaire dance numbers ever!

• Apr 02, 2014

Enjoyable Astaire vehicle with a brilliant scene where he dances on all four walls, ceiling and floor of a room in the same uncut shot.

• Feb 22, 2014

It breezes by with hilarity and entertainment. It features one of Fred's more famous dance sequence, him dancing on the wall and ceiling, is quite a sight to behold. There isn't anything exceptional about this movie other than the dancing and music. And why should there be? You have Fred Astaire and Jane Powell doing what they do best. Although, if there was one exceptional thing about this movie to take from, it's that Fred Astaire can even make a coat hanger a wonderful dancer.