Rubber - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rubber Reviews

December 1, 2016
I feel as though people don't understand what this movie is actually about. Yes it's about a tire that blows things up with its mind, but it's also about how movies can be whatever they want. The opening seen explains that in a pretty good way. I love this movie not only for the cinematography but also for how the story is. Its the opposite of a love story. Usually the character who finds the woman tries to meet her but Robert the tire wants the opposite. Its an amazing piece of cinema that I think gets bad reviews for no reason.
½ November 7, 2016
I hate this movie with a burning passion. It makes me feel pain on a deep psychological level.
October 23, 2016
There's a lot of goofy fun here but the story gets out of hand to the point of confusion.
½ October 20, 2016
I mean what the hell...
September 26, 2016
A zany idea can wear out its welcome after a while, but Rubber is worth a look.
September 25, 2016
Um...believe me or not, this film about a psychokinetic killer tire is actually a highly intelligent and absurdly funny commentary on the current state of the relationship between audience, film makers and the film medium itself and a meditation on the artificiality of movies, constantly breaking the fourth wall in the process. It is deliberately (and to me, awesomely) absurd and alienating to that end- but all that might be hard to stomache for some, and if that happens, all that is left are pretty good effects and cinematography that manage to give a tire as much depth as a tire can have, with everything else being just decent. I personally, however, love absurdity, so, to me, Rubber was a delight in how refreshingly unique, smart and plain enjoyable it was- but I'll concede it's DEFINITELY not for everyone.
July 6, 2016
Unique but buzzard in a way where it might only be enjoyable the first time u watch it.
July 1, 2016
A movie whose protagonist is a tire with psychokinetic powers? Why not! "Rubber" is an "homage to no reason" or, as I like to think of it, and anti-film. It is a satire that shows how an audience is willing to sit through the most nonsensical story of a film as long as a production studio calls it "entertainment." As the opening monologue explains, all of the events of the movie occur for no reason. One of the more clever aspects of the film is the integration of an audience into the film. One would expect this audience to be watching the film in the theater but to emphasize the absurdity of watching this story, they are in the middle of the desert watching through binoculars. The satirical nature of the film is much easier to understand the second time around (yes, I watched this twice) but it spends too much time in the realm of "unwatchable." There is literally no reason for any of the events that occur. Whether it is Robert (the tire who has become self aware) making things explode or the "spectators" getting sick eating turkey, the tiresome (pun intended) film is an ode to the banal. I'll admit that the first time, I had unreasonably high hopes for this film as I believed that it would be a dumb-looking concept that turned out to be wildly entertaining. I was wrong. I should also admit that the second time, I was looking forward to absorbing the deeper meaning behind it but was instead struck by how unwatchable it really is. I was just so anxious for the "Just Don't Want To Be Lonely" sequence and couldn't believe that it took over ten minutes to get there. Some of the random moments are mildly amusing (like a tire watching NASCAR on tv) and the animation of Robert is impressive (stop motion, I'm assuming?), but it is still incredibly difficult to sit through this. Whether you are hoping for an entertaining film about a homicidal tire or an impressive commentary on the film industry, you will find neither in "Rubber."
June 30, 2016
I want to like this movie. I should like this movie. A little 20 minute short film with no dialogue about a tire's vengeful trek would be great. But this is an 82 minute film that replicates what it's like to fall asleep watching the wrong TV channel, made by pretentious, selfish, lazy, hateful fucks who think it's smart not to think and that everybody deserves to be brutally mutilated, people who shove wooden planks with Kurt Cobain's face up their vagina and put candlewax in their dickholes, People who see dullness in life will make a dull output into life.
½ June 24, 2016
3.3/5

How cute it is to see a movie start off by suggesting that the experience youre about to go through was conceived out of lack of reason.
So for no reason heres your 3.3.

(A movie about a killer tire is not something thats exactly easy to talk about since the idea itself once I heard of it seemed to be the most stupid thing to ever be conceived by mankind. The movie from the beggining however takes a slight turn as it justifies it through ART which both helps to understand some of the commentary that the movie might convey as making the whole concept and its execution even more retarded and laughable.)
June 18, 2016
This movie is a cinematic motherfucking masterpiece. Crafted by the Norse gods themselves this movie will have you crying tears of hysterical joy.

With lines that will go down in history, such as, "it's not over! it transformed into a tricycle!" this movie is sure to be a hit for 18+ adults of all ages.
June 10, 2016
RUBBER unfortunately believes itself smart enough to sacrifice the laughs that would come with a film ignorant enough to play its ridiculousness straight. The result is a boring waste of a premise.
May 24, 2016
Interesting start, but quickly bored me with the one joke premise of there being no point to the movie. The acting was slow and eventually got tortuous. I'm not against creativity, and murderous tires are indeed unique. But when that's all there is, The pros get quickly outweighed by the cons.
½ May 18, 2016
Ok, what the fuck were they smoking? out of all the movie ideas you had, you choose to make a movie about a tire? I am not joking, this movie is literally about a tire that kills people by shaking. In my opinion, this is the worst movie that I have ever seen in my life. This movie makes Pitch Perfect, Twilight and Fantastic Four watchable. I don't know why they even green lit this in the first place but i know is that they were 100% on drugs when they were deciding on what movie to make. Just avoid this garbage, it'll be an hour and 30 minutes waste of your life if you watch Rubber.

Score:0/10
May 4, 2016
what started out as very clever and well shot film soon drifted off to utter boredom. didn't have hight hopes but was very intrigued with the idea of this movie, sadly, the director didn't know when to stop and a fun idea slowly decayed to a migraine headache.
May 3, 2016
A story about a tire that kills people. Weird, very weird, but ridiculously fun.
May 1, 2016
This is one of those movies that's so bad, it's funny.
½ April 17, 2016
I would give it zero stars if I could
½ March 22, 2016
How the fuck was this movie even released in theatres???? its just about a tire that kills people!!! WORST MOVIE I EVER WATCHED!!!!!!!
March 21, 2016
This film is quite an odd film, it features a rogue sadistic tyre that has come to life and has gained the power of telekinesis which it uses to kill. Despite the odd storyline it flows well in terms of scene to scene and has a pleasing soundtrack as well as great cinematography. The acting was as well as could be considering the movies storyline but there was nothing overly impressive.
It may not be a horrible film but in my opinion it is not to the taste of many people and was disengaging in some scenes. For me this movie was alright but i wouldn't watch it again.