Russian Doll Reviews

• Apr 20, 2019

The series develop very well to a philosophical statement, however it is slow.

The series develop very well to a philosophical statement, however it is slow.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Sep 20, 2015

For many of us Yanks there's little experience with the world of film from the land down under (unless a film breaks the ranks and becomes a international sensation), and that's why you mightn't've seen Hugo Weaving act like a regular guy in this Australian offering. He plays a wannabe writer who's unlucky in love until his best friend asks that he house his new girlfriend for a minute. Guess what happens next? In the meantime there's the gratuitous use of popular songs played over the usual montage of shots of the mismatched couple falling for each other that so overdone its overdone already. The twist here is that she's a Russian, and so the couple visit Russian restaurants and we get to see Weaving experience that, or they go to a Russian nightclub and try Russian dancing ... you get the picture. Natalia Novikova does the foreign "other" pretty well and Weaving plays "not a bad guy for a change". Its not as offensive as I described. I think.

• Apr 28, 2008

Russian Doll is cute movie about a Australian man who is having an affair with a Russian women whos visa is going to end so he asks his best friend to marry her so she would be able to stay. At first Ethan and Katia hate each other, but as time goes on they start to fall for each other which means trouble for Harvey. Hugo Weaving and David Wenham lacked their usual charisma and depth of character, which was the biggest dissapiontment because I've enjoyed their previous performances.