Scenes from a Mall Reviews

• Mar 13, 2019

This movie is heavily flawed. The script is non existent and some scenes are just TOO painful to watch at times. I love Bette Midler (the only reason I saw this) but it just is too slow and as the two main characters in this comedy it is evidently hard to keep the foundation up on their own!

• Jun 22, 2017

#WoodyAllenRetro Podcast Project One has to wonder what this would have been like if woody wrote and directed this movie himself as the base idea, setting and casting are all on point and could have been something really good - sadly this comes off more as a chance for Woody to take a break and let loose with an alternate version of himself which is entertaining in itself but the script is pretty non-existent - Bette Meddler is also cast great and delivers a good performance but the script is just too narrow and not clever enough to make this constant exchange wildy amusing - it's more frustrating and the core idea is only toyed with in a way which makes you dislike both characters... a shame really - we really think Woody at the healm would have made this much more tolerable

• Mar 25, 2017

A failed attempt to copy Linklater's Before Sunrise and ensuing movies.

A failed attempt to copy Linklater's Before Sunrise and ensuing movies.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Jan 21, 2017

I may have had some fun watching it (I did laugh a few times), but not even a day later I realized I was incapable of remembering most of what I had seen (including the ending), which is a clear indication of how forgettable, lackluster and harmless this little comedy is.

• Jun 21, 2015

Average comedy from the early 90s starring Bette Midler and Woody Allen, about a middle aged couple that go to the mall and reveal to each other that they each have been having affairs. It isn't directed or even written by Allen, but it feels like a hollow version of one of his films, as it deals with similar subject matter and has the same old style music. The movie just has nothing all that spectacular, and can be easily skipped.

• May 17, 2015

as someone who lived in so-Cal from over 30 years and yes it was alot like this rom-com from Paul Mazursky (down n out in Bev Hills'.

• Nov 22, 2014

Review: Although this movie wasn't written and directed by Woody Allen, it still has the same concept as lot of his movies. It's basically about a couple who are celebrating there 16th wedding anniversary and while they are out shopping, Allen's character admits to finishing an affair the day before. After threatening divorce, his wife also admits to an affair so the long relationship is in turmoil whilst still shopping in the mall. Woody Allen has definitely got something for this troubled relationship concept, even when he hasn't written or directed the film himself. I did enjoy the chemistry between both of the characters and there banter was amusing in parts but the storyline was a bit silly for me. For such a loving couple, I don't know why they chose to tell each other such a deep secret in the mall, especially with a dinner planned for later on that day. Anyway, it's a silly romantic comedy which is mostly based in the mall, hence the title, which goes a bit over the top after a while.  Round-Up: Well, I have now completed my Woody Allen season and it really does feel like I have watched a really long film based around troubled relationships and infidelity, with a New York backdrop. None of his earlier projects are anywhere near Blue Jasmine, which is also based around a troubled relationship but it's Cate Blanchett that made that movie brilliant. Most of the movies with Mia Farrow were quite dull but the films with Diane Keaton were much better. He's not the most versatile writers/directors and his comedy is warped and not that humerous but I'm sure that he entertains a certain type of audience, which I'm certainly not a part of.  Budget: $3million Worldwide Gross: $10million I recommend this movie to people who are into there Woody Allen movies about a couple who are celebrating there 16th anniversary and admit to infidelity whilst shopping in a mall. 3/10

• Mar 11, 2014

Really very sweet and engaging.

Really very sweet and engaging.

• Feb 28, 2014

A not so charming/likeable film staring but not directed by Woody Allen. The film starts strong but gets tedious quickly. Both Midler & Woody genuinely work well together but the script is weak & the film really runs out of steam. Simply the story of 16 year wedding anniversary that goes for a turn once one admits they cheated, then the public argument begins...

• Jan 13, 2014

It's funny but an old movie I like how it's about a married couple that go to a mall on their anniversary then decides to tell each other that they had affairs. This didn't go well lol. I find it funny for an anniversary present don't go big and but a surfboard unless you want to Carry it throughout the mall and then forget were you put it.