Scream of Fear Reviews

• Jul 07, 2020

Scream of Fear is a brilliantly crafted thriller that deserves more attention. Perhaps it has flown under the radar for decades because it has a relatively unknown cast, aside from Christopher Lee in a supporting role. (He’s great as always, but a tad underused.) For whatever reason, this film has not garnered a large following and that is a shame, because it deserves some recognition. I love how this script builds the story, and creates tension. We are puzzling through things with the main character, and must work to piece together what exactly is going on, and who is involved. I’ll admit that I was fairly confident I had guessed the truth early in the film, because the plot does have some similarities to other movies I’ve seen in the past. Yet even though I was right about some things, there were still details that I didn’t know and that made for a good surprise in the end. Susan Strasberg is wonderful as Penny Appleby, and she brings a level of nuance that is sorely needed for this kind of role. She is great at playing the terror that comes from this ordeal she is going through, yet she brings more than just being a screaming damsel in distress. She also has smarts, and appears in control of some situations. Ronald Lewis is also great as the main confidante for the protagonist, and Ann Todd is perfect as the step-mother who appears nice at first but seems to have something to hide. Between the well-written story, and the great work from the cast, Scream of Fear is a marvelous film. It’s also one of those movies that is instantly worth watching a second time because the entire movie is recontextualized when you know all the mysteries. I would highly recommend everyone take a chance on Scream of Fear, it’s a winner.

• Mar 29, 2019

A noirish thriller with crisp black and white cinematography, Scream of Fear (aka Taste of Fear) is creepy, atmospheric, and well made. Its well thought out soundscape includes intentional silence, soft nature sounds, and frightening, unexplained thumps and crashes, which draw the vulnerable protagonist toward scenes of horror - only then does the dramatic music strike, as well as the title scream. Almost completely free of blood and gore, Scream of Fear relies largely on technical artistry to create a chilling mood around a convoluted, twisting, giallo-like plot, which meanders toward an abrupt but fairly satisfying ending.

• Feb 10, 2019

Gem of a flick. Satisfying. Not a boring moment.

Gem of a flick. Satisfying. Not a boring moment.

• Jul 25, 2017

Scream of Fear has like eleventy bajillion plot twists and a script to justify most if not all of them, it's as suspenful as Hitchcock's best movies, and it's got some really good actors and lighting to help with that. Either this or Curse of Frankenstein is Hammer's best movie.

• Nov 05, 2016

Surprisingly classy Hammer Horror film about a young woman in a wheelchair (Susan Strasberg) who returns to your family home after her father's disappearance. She then begins seeing his dead body in different place, but she's the only one who can see it. She then begins investigating her fathers disappearance with the help of her chauffeur, Ronald Lewis (who looks startlingly similar to David Hasselhoff). The film is not as in-your-face with sex and violence as their later horror films, but is more focuses on suspense, atmosphere, and some genuinely scary moments. Christopher Lee also appears in the film in a supporting role. Lee has called this the best Hammer film he appeared in and he may very well be right.

• Feb 29, 2016

Susan Strasberg keeps seeing her dead father around the estate after having been away for 10 years - except he is supposed to be very much alive according to her stepmother! With the aid of her father's chauffeur, Strasberg tries to solve the mystery, even as those around her indicate that they are concerned for her sanity. Of course, if her father is really dead, then Strasberg is set to inherit his millions. This provides a motive for doing her in - and her father too - or so she begins to think. It is hard to separate the paranoia from the reality at times in this weird tale from Hammer studios. Director Seth Holt allows stillness and silence to create suspense and absorb the viewer in the potential horror before her or him. Yet something is not quite right in this solid spooky chiller!

• Feb 17, 2016

Strasberg's doe-eyed dedication to her role and Douglas Slocombe's brilliant black-and-white cinematography counterbalance the film's increasingly ridiculous plot turns, which nonetheless have a crude, jaw-dropper effectiveness.

• Feb 03, 2016

Excellent little thriller from Hammer

Excellent little thriller from Hammer

• Aug 01, 2015

This movie reminded me of "Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte", but then this was made three years before that one. I wonder if this movie influenced the script or story of that. Well, either way I like this one better. Maybe it's because Susan Strasberg is easier on the eyes than Bette Davis, lol. Maybe it's because the music isn't so over-the-top, purposely scary. This twists at the end are they payoff for your patience. And even I didn't see the last one coming...or going as the case may be. Enjoy! It's worth watching.

• May 22, 2015

A memorable thriller, though it could be more appealing. There's some great mystery moments, nice twists, and a good ending. Decent characters, and fair pacing.