Seal Team 6: The Raid on Osama Bin Laden - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seal Team 6: The Raid on Osama Bin Laden Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
November 5, 2012
Well made, but flawed TV movie based on the raid that killed Osama Bin Laden. This is standard TV movie fair; however it is entertaining for what it is. The film's performances are questionable, but it's nothing to really complain about. Robert Knepper was the best actor here. The film is filmed in kind of a documentary style narrative, and it works well for this type of film. The film's plot is terrific of course, and it's a very engaging, suspenseful and exciting film to watch. This film will surely appeal to war film fans and thought it has inaccuracies, it still manages to be thrilling as it gives the viewer an insight into the mission that killed Bin Laden The cast for the most part do a good job here, and for a TV movie, this is a pretty good effort. This is sure to make viewers interested even more in Operation Neptune Spear and the heroic and courageous men who brought down the most wanted man in history. Very entertaining for what it is, this film is among the many films that will surface that was based on the mission. Zero Dark Thirty will most likely be much better, but this is entertaining and pretty good nonetheless. Expect something engaging, but flawed. This film is designed to entertain and show the details of the mission. For what it is, it's a must see if you love these types of films and like I said, the cast do a good job with what they have and director John Stockwell direction is good, but lacks something to really make this film standout. Still worth seeing despite the flaws. However, I have a feeling that Kathryn Bigelow's Zero Dark Thirty will be a much more accomplished film.
March 4, 2015
I give this movie three stars. I liked how they showed us all the parts and what happened in trying to find Osama. But, at some point of the movie it would get a little slow and confusing. Also they could have showed more of the CIA investigating and how they got all their information and then maybe a little more showing them actually going in and getting Osama.
July 9, 2014
I get that it's historical, but it is also ugly to watch... The background music is awful... And I was annoyed by all the interviews. I've seen better historical movies with better acting on The History Channel.
November 5, 2012
John Stockwell, Asylum Films called, they want their footage back. This snoozefest docu-drama sold as an inside story about the raid on Osama Bin Laden's Pakistani compound is light on facts, and ham-handed in political message.

As a film it was an utter bore. Every character; the shooters, the CIA, the leadership, and especially the President were cardboard caricatures. Navy SEALs was a better movie about Navy SEALs than this amateurish production.

As a means to share with the audience the chronological events of the raid, it failed miserably. It was un-factual in so many different ways and there isn't the space to get into them all. It got virtually none of the details right, and even as a fictional telling, it added no details that would make you care one iota about what was going on. I was excited to sit down an watch this, but after about 30 minutes I was looking for something to do while it ran its course.

As a way to give the viewer some insight into a Tier 1 Special Forces unit like SEAL Team 6, or Development Group (as they are never called in this movie) it was an utter disaster. Fresh out of infantry school security Marines appear more competent and professional than the pretty boy actors who put on their best tough guy voice and dress the part, but sell it about as well as manikins at a Navy Uniform Exchange store.

My overall impression is that I've seen Star Wars fan films that are more compelling than this waste of an hour and a half.
½ September 7, 2013
My Review: 5/10
Date: 9/4/2013
Melodramatic jingoistic propaganda, but interesting and exciting at times. Sounds like there were a lot of inaccuracies but I didn't know a lot about it to begin with.
½ June 22, 2013
Just sat through it this evening and found the fast-forward very useful. In fact, I used the fast forward so much - that what I actually saw seemed pretty good. Granted, it may have only been 5 minutes...but those 5 minutes were almost spectacular. Of course, I had to fast-forward through the campaign commercial part of the movie. I think that was about a third...or maybe even a half. And the self-gratifying dialog, I had to jump through that, another fourth or third. The rigid bad-ass acting and there was a lot of that - I had to jump through that. Everybody was trying to out-bad-ass the previous person. (NOTE: why does everyone in a movie now-a-days toss out their 'acting?' skills and become the consummate bad-asses?) I can understand the Navy SEALs being that way...that is their job and they kind of get trained doing this. But a bunch of D.C. sycophants? Really? In any case, skipping through that probably ate up about a quarter of the movie. SO - what does that leave me with? Let me see. Opening credits (those were stunning). Blowing up the compound (more stunning stuff), and last but not least, the closing credits (just as stunning as the opening credits). In all fairness - I knew this movie was no more than a campaign commercial. And it was pumped out by some Hollywood boot lickers, and I have no problem with that. Support your guy - wonderful. The left panders to the left - and the right panders to the right...I got that. I just would have not paid for this. I may be wrong, but I don't think this was a portrayal of anything other than a campaign
½ March 14, 2013
Moments that felt overdone leading up to the raid had this docudrama trying just as hard to recruit as it was to tell the story of May 1, 2011.
½ March 7, 2013
This was a great story and the actors did an amazing job with their characters. This could only end one way since it is based on a real war story.
January 15, 2013
Pretty decent movie. At times the shaky cam from the soliders helmets can give you a bit of a headache. Very telling story.
½ January 8, 2013
Nice little propaganda piece. I say that in a good way. The video gamesk camera work gave me flashbacks my late night Modern Warfare online matches.
½ December 15, 2012
I've recently watched this movie, and also just finished the book "No Easy Day", written by Mark Owen (a pseudonym for one of the SEALs who was on the raid).

Reading the book, it is apparent that the decisions being made at high levels (DOD, CIA, White House), weren't about whether or not to do the mission (that was always a given, as the Special Operations people knew this mission was just "routine" in terms of difficulty). Rather it was about which was less politically risky, to send in the SEALs, or to bomb bin Laden's facility to smithereens with B2s dropping lots of 2,000 lb JDAM bombs. The decision was really about what the world might think about the collateral damage (and not getting bin Laden's DNA) vs. the possible risk of a failed mission, such as the one that helped end Jimmy Carter's re-election bid.

So when this movie keeps interjecting Obama's voice to suggest that it was a tough decision for him, we should understand why it was tough. It wasn't a tough decision to kill bin Laden, as the movie tries to suggest. It was only about how it was done, and which option would risk hurting or helping Obama's popularity more. And the addition of two out-of-context clips of Mitt Romney and John McCain into the movie proves beyond a doubt that this was just as much a campaign commercial rushed to the screen days before the election, as it was a documentary of history.

Owen also took some heat for publishing his book without DOD clearance. But he did hire a former Special Operations attorney to vet out the book to insure that there were no operational secrets revealed. And having read several books on Navy Seals, his was "cleaner" in that regard than others that I've read that were reviewed by the DOD.

Why is that important? Because this movie includes scenes near the end that appear to be drone video with night vision capability, showing one of the highly modified, stealthy Black Hawk helicopters used in the operation. So DOD or the CIA must have provided that video to National Geographic, even though it displays some classified technology.

Owen never even mentioned the stealth modifications in his book. But I guess it was okay for this movie, given its purpose, whatever you believe that to be.
½ November 24, 2012
Low production value. Not much new. It is a very basic history of what led to capturing bin Laden. But doesn't have much depth. I'm far more interested to see Zero Dark Thirty to see how they handle it there.
November 11, 2012
Expectations were modest at best for this made for TV film, but came away feeling they did a pretty good job. At times it felt like they were going too much "first person shooting game", and the middle of the film drags a bit are only real criticisms. While there weren't any stand out performances, the acting overall was fair. They incorporated real footage effectively creating the sense of credibility and authenticity to film which really helped. I almost held out no hope for a decent film when seeing Xzibit was in the cast, and that it was in the action/adventure genre. That being said, I was overall pleasantly surprised and found it respectable.
March 4, 2015
December 30, 2014
Only a small view into the sacrifices of our military on a daily basis.
August 10, 2014
good war/historical pix
July 9, 2014
June 25, 2014
The movie is based on the raid of osama bin laden...well according..to me i rate it 3 stars...the movie is a bore at some places..u will be literally yawning..and in some place u will have goosebumps...the movie also shows the strength and courage of those six officers and intelligence agency of U.S.A who made a brilliant plan to kill bin laden..the movie lacks actions scenes...the movie feels like a documentary at times