Serenity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Serenity Reviews

November 28, 2016
We all know the story about how this film came to being. In my geeky opinion a great film that absorbs you from beginning to end. Will there be a sequel, part of me hopes so and part of me doesn't.
November 13, 2016
Love the movie and love the cast!
September 25, 2016
Joss Whedons character driven baby firefly gets the big picture treatment. It shows why Whedon was the right man to direct the Avengers movie years later
September 21, 2016
Even better than the show. And I loved the show.
September 17, 2016
A good end to a great show. Sadly canceled before its time.
August 31, 2016
Great movie that wraps up an outstanding series that ended too soon
½ August 30, 2016
Great movie. Based on great TV show.
I wish there was a sequel to the movie and / or the TV show was brought back
½ August 20, 2016
Better than no ending to the series, by a decent margin.
½ August 20, 2016
Serenity is the big-screen continuation of Joss Whedon's cult-hit television series, Firefly, which was cancelled after only one season and left a lot of pissed-off fans craving more; he was then given the chance to craft a proper conclusion to the story and man did he deliver! This movie is an absolute blast with an awesome cast, exhilarating action, and flawless dialogue that only Joss Whedon and these actors could perform! The film picks up some time after the end of the series, but thankfully the entire cast returns and with an outstanding opening tracking shot through the ship, Serenity, we're reminded why we fell in love with these characters in the first place. Nathan Fillion hasn't missed a beat and steps back into the role of Malcolm Reynolds with ease, still wise-cracking and bad-ass as ever. The remaining cast all bring their colorful characters to life with personal favourites like Alan Tudyk, Gina Torres, and Adam Baldwin as Wash, Zo and Jayne respectively stealing every scene they're in! The only new additions to the cast are a hacker named Mr. Universe played by David Krumholtz and a methodical assassin played brilliantly by Chiwetel Ejiofor adding a different spin to what could have been a cliched character. The plot carries over from the TV show, with the Alliance still tracking River Tam; now sending the aforementioned assassin after her, due to knowledge she possesses regarding the Alliance's dirty secrets. The film gets to expand on Whedon's original ideas, including finally seeing the deadly Reavers and all of their gruesome capabilities which was a HUGE mystery in the show and takes advantage of higher production values to make an engrossing, and memorable world the characters inhabit! It's a bit darker than the series, having much higher stakes than ever before, but with Whedon's clever writing, the film has many moments of levity to break up the gloom that don't feel at all forced. I don't think it's 100% required to watch all of Firefly beforehand, but if you do, the reward will be that much greater and you'll feel it more when we have to say goodbye to these characters one more time!
July 19, 2016
It wraps up some of the story lines left by the tv series in a satisfying manner.
½ July 17, 2016
Picking up a short while after Firefly left off, the crew of the space
transport Serenity are harboring a highly sought after fugitive -
River, a girl with incredible mental ability and amazing fighting
skills. The Alliance, the rulers of the galaxy, have sent one of their
top operatives after her. He is a one-man army and will stop at nothing
to accomplish his mission. Meanwhile for the crew of Serenity it is
business as usual, and that business generally involves smuggling,
stealing and doing whatever gets them a payout.

After Season 1 of the brilliant series Firefly the show was cancelled.
Two years later, as a consolation prize, and in lieu of Season 2, we
have the movie Serenity. Follows well from the series and is a great

Not exactly the same vibe as Firefly though, and some of that
difference might be put down to Firefly being a TV series and Serenity
being a feature film. Firefly was less about action and more about
characters - the crew of Serenity, their relationships and how these
relationships develop. Serenity is more about action with a nod to the
relationships already developed in Firefly.

This does make Serenity a bit less engaging than Firefly, though
probably more accessible to people who didn't watch Firefly.

This said, it helps a lot if you've already watched Firefly. The
backstory is only briefly explained at the start of Serenity and there
is not enough time in the movie to fill viewers in on the characters'
personalities and relationships. So, as a standalone film it is pretty
shallow. It does thus rely on the viewer to have seen Firefly to
appreciate Serenity.

This I can testify to myself. I originally watched Serenity without
seeing Firefly and found it okay but not great (gave it a 6/10).
Recently I watched Firefly (found it brilliant) and now have rewatched
Serenity. Very different view on it now (9/10).

Ultimately, Serenity provides the closure that Firefly never had and is
a fantastic conclusion to the series.
July 15, 2016
You can't take the sky from me
July 4, 2016
great fun, intelligent lively cast
½ June 14, 2016
Watch the TV series and then come back for the movie. FOX lost a cash cow cancelling this show. The film still leaves us wanting to see more of the Firefly crew.
June 2, 2016
Without knowing anything about the series, this is mediocre at its best.
April 30, 2016
The conclusion to the Firefly show, Serenity gives a satisfying ending where Summer Glau shines. Chiwetel Eijiofor is a great addition as an antagonist to the crew.
½ April 24, 2016
One of my favourites ?
½ April 3, 2016
My inner fanboy is so happy right now
April 1, 2016
Never watched Firefly but really enjoyed movie. you can watch the movie without knowing the series which is a plus.
March 23, 2016
Loved this film. It was fun, adventurous, entertaining, and surprisingly well told. A must see for sci-fi fans! One of my all time favorite films.