Serenity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Serenity Reviews

½ June 4, 2017
Haven't seen the series and don't want to, based on this movie. Very derivative and tried too hard to straddle sci-fi, westerns, action and comedy genres and failed to add anything of note to any of them.

My feeling about the risible nature of this movie was summed up by the final action sequence when the hero was shot in the back but still managed to display the athleticism of a trapeze artist and the fight skills of a karate expert to defeat his opponent.

One for fans only?!
June 3, 2017
Good if you like that sort of thing :)
½ June 1, 2017
Serenity may have been an adequate film...but ultimately it just represents a rushed ending to the Firefly saga and disappointment that the tv series was cancelled.
May 7, 2017
Awesome movie, but you HAVE to watch the series before watching the movie in order to fully appreciate it.
May 1, 2017
Surprised this movie rates so well. I did not watch Firefly, so it's seems likely to me the people that liked this movie were also fans. To me, plot holes abound and the story seems cliche to me. For anything Sci-Fi, I think story is really key and needs to be somewhat original or technically interesting. This met some of that criteria, but failed overall to impress. The cast is solid though.
April 24, 2017
Great dialogue, amazing battle scenes, and well-organzied extremely interesting plot with real world parallels. Even the original tv cast was able to elevate their acting skills to the big screen. The only weak spot was a villain who seemed very weak and bland.
April 1, 2017
Great film expanding on a universe that was already fascinating thanks to the tv show Firefly. I was warned by some people to not place my expectations too high for this one, but the film overshot any I had subconsciously made. The film never feels rushed and never feels like a tv show simply doubled or tripled in running time.
½ March 20, 2017
Haven't seen the serie yet. Might change my review of the movie.
½ February 5, 2017
A great finally to an amazing show.
January 26, 2017
Alright, so maybe I should have watched the series before seeing the film. . .or not? I mean it's not as if I didn't enjoy the film for what it was, practically speaking. And it's also doubly not as if theatrically released movies should require an entire user-manual of information in order for audiences to fully enjoy them. So, in that regard, as far as sci-fi/western movies based on canceled sci-fi/western television series that I've never seen go, I most certainly think this one is the best. All kidding aside though, when one looks past the glaring CGI missteps and the handful of "if you watched the TV show, you would totally understand what they're talking about" moments littered throughout, it's still a worthwhile/entertaining film with an incredible amount of wit and creativity abound.
January 2, 2017
Great movie. It makes more sense and you are more vested in the characters if you watched Firefly. A LOT of actors you will recognize in the tv show and movie cut their teeth in this franchise! Hell, Joss Whedon went on to direct a little film called The Avengers, LOL!
January 2, 2017
I put this movie off for way too long but just never knew how much I actually wanted this. Serenity was the bittersweet farewell to both the big and small screen depictions of the characters everyone needed, but luckily the crew's stories carry on in other mediums. On its own, Serenity is an awesome sci-fi, action adventure that tugs at the heart strings and delivers constant thrills.
November 28, 2016
We all know the story about how this film came to being. In my geeky opinion a great film that absorbs you from beginning to end. Will there be a sequel, part of me hopes so and part of me doesn't.
November 13, 2016
Love the movie and love the cast!
September 25, 2016
Joss Whedons character driven baby firefly gets the big picture treatment. It shows why Whedon was the right man to direct the Avengers movie years later
September 21, 2016
Even better than the show. And I loved the show.
September 17, 2016
A good end to a great show. Sadly canceled before its time.
August 31, 2016
Great movie that wraps up an outstanding series that ended too soon
½ August 30, 2016
Great movie. Based on great TV show.
I wish there was a sequel to the movie and / or the TV show was brought back
½ August 20, 2016
Better than no ending to the series, by a decent margin.