The Seventh Cross Reviews

• Jul 22, 2020

Powerful and really unnerving.

Powerful and really unnerving.

• Jul 06, 2020

The Seventh Cross is an excellent film. It is about seven prisoners who escape from a concentration camp in 1936. Spencer Tracy and Signe Hasso give amazing performances. The screenplay is good but a little slow in places. Fred Zinnemann did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. The Seventh Cross is a must see.

• Mar 18, 2018

Largely forgotten WWII concentration camp film with a great cast and very believable texture as directed by Fred Zinnemann (From Here to Eternity)

• May 06, 2016

The Seventh Cross. 1936 7 Jews escape a Jewish camp. 1 got caught by the Nazis shortly after they recognised the escape. Not a big fan of having the narration of the movie. The mirror bathroom scene was interesting how it was filmed because it looked like a split screen up until one of them nearly walked right into the mirror.

• Aug 01, 2014

A compelling suspenseful tale about a man wanted by the nazis on the run.

A compelling suspenseful tale about a man wanted by the nazis on the run.

• Oct 21, 2012

good WWII drama gr8 cast & director r the fuel that makes this go

good WWII drama gr8 cast & director r the fuel that makes this go

• May 27, 2011

Adapted from the book by the same name, this 1944 film fictitious depiction of Germany and the Nazi reign has it's ups and downs, but just seems too American to pass as a movie I'd consider good. The year is 1936 and 7 men escape a concentration camp in Germany, and the general of the camp raises 7 crosses and vows to crucify the escapees. All are caught, except for 1: Heisler. Heisler runs around the town trying to survive, meet the people he once knew in search for help and shelter. The country and the people he knew have changed, but there is still humanity past the darkness. This movie reminds me of The Pianist. A man trying to run from the Nazis with help from friends. The Pianist did it way better. For starters, this movie isn't a true story, and takes place in a time that predates concentration camps, and a lot of everything of historic significance. With this disregard for actual history and a creation of how America saw the Germans, this movie tried to get away with a lot of things. And the portrayal of the 3rd Reich DEFINITELY didn't give off that scary suspence when we normally think of Nazis. As a matter or fact, this movie was pretty dull and melodramatic through and through with many missed opportunities. The acting was pretty ok. The characters who were the happiest acted the best, like Hume Cronyn who was nominated for an Oscar. But most of a lot of scenes where a swing and a miss that didn't capture the attention it needed. Though I'm beginning this review off absolutely hating this movie, the technical side of the movie was pretty fantastic. Fred Zinnemann, who directed the western classic High Noon, does a great job in this movie, considering that it was his very first movie. What impressed me the most about this movie was the fantastic cinematography. The movie begins off looking very artistic with incredible uses of lighting and a very detailed backdrop, and through the whole movie you'll see very creative camera angles and hard, dramatic lighting. As lousy as the story is, it does look pretty sweet. But like I said, because the movie tries to be as fictional as possible while staying true to certain details, the production wasn't all that great. Some shooting areas just look like they were filmed on a regular day, very few people on set, and no tension of war whatsoever. The mood of the movie was pretty light, mostly psychological stress instead of an actual struggling threat. This movie was made the very year WWII ended, so some people are temped to give this movie some slack. I'm not. The Seventh Cross is dull, inaccurate, and most of all, more American than anything else with American actors passing off badly as Europeans with some uninteresting dialogue. The Seventh Cross is just another anti-nazi movie of the '40s from Hollywood's moneymaking perspective, which is far from what was actually going on.

• Feb 24, 2010

I was hoping this would be a little more exciting but it isn't. Pretty much every scene with Hume Cronyn is decent but the rest of the movie is a complete fucking bore.

• Feb 18, 2010

Spencer Tracy, Hume Cronyn, Jessica Tandy and Agnes Moorehead...what a cast for 1944 in this cliffhanger about an escapee from a German concentration camp in 1936. Good performances by all who demonstrated the mistrust of a totalitarian regime.

• Brody M Super Reviewer