Sex and the City - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sex and the City Reviews

August 31, 2017
My Mom Kelli Krajci, A Lemur Wilma Flintstone One Of My Mom Kelli Krajci's Used To Be Animal Partners, And Jeffrey And Brandon's Mom Ms. Carmen, All Three Of Them Saw This At Classic Cinemas In Woodstock, IL When It Came Out, It Did Make All Three Of Them Laugh, Logan And Kiara's Mom Aunt Nicki Saw This With A Pack Of Girlfriends, This Did Make Her Laugh, I Hope Ms. Davidson Saw This When It Came Out.
August 22, 2017
A New York writer on sex and love (Sarah Jessica Parker) is finally getting married to her Mr. Big (Chris Noth). But her three best girlfriends must console her after one of them inadvertently leads Mr. Big to jilt her.

also stars Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis, Cynthia Nixon, Candice Bergen, Jennifer Hudson, David Eigenberg, Evan Handler, Jason Lewis, Mario Cantone, Lynn Cohen, Willie Garson, Gilles Marini, Madeleine Lee Gilford and Rogelio T. Ramos.

directed by Michael Patrick King.
½ August 22, 2017
I was never a fan of Sex and the City, and I don't think I ever intended to see the movie, let alone the TV series. But damn it, Kim Cattrall is a sexy woman. Although its stereotypical of me to make this the basis of watching this film, I couldn't give a f*ck. Then again I may have set myself up for egotistical torture by deciding to sit through a feature length film about annoying females living in New York.

The intro predicts the latter, because it points out that the characters have gone nowhere since the TV series finished its run and therefore it may just end up being a feature length episode of painful female based dribble. For one thing it explains barely anything about the characters beyond their predictable female egos and merely expects you to have already seen the TV series.
By 15 minutes in I felt like I had sat through 45 minutes of unfunny repetitive dribble. By the point where it felt like 2 hours, it had only been 28 minutes. So essentially, for someone not a fan of the TV series, Sex and the City: The Movie is more slow than a dyslexic snail. By 38 minutes in I wanted to smash my head over the table, and so I had to turn it off to refrain from suffering a serious concussion.
Sex and the City: The Movie doesn't teach you anything about the femlale mind, but rather gives you a reason to stereotype it and find it more annoying, because its so obsessed with style that its completely bereft of whatever substance the original TV series may have consisted of, but for first time viewers it can be safe to assume there wasn't any. I saw snippets of episodes from time to time so I know there was, but there is no way to identify that from this movie.
This is a travesty, an unfunny travesty. It teaches nothing, is almost completely bereft of sex and has no focus on the city, but instead it's the same old damn chick flick with the only difference being that it attempts to harvest the dieing spirit of the TV series. Its an unsuccessful attempt, and an unfunny, shallow unappealing one on behalf of Michael Patrick King who directs this lacklustre boring film into becoming nothing more than a crap vanity project.
So it's a terrible film for people that aren't fans of the TV series or ideas in the story, and its cheaply acted, and the one reason I watched it, Kim Cattrall, isn't capitalized on as an actress or sex symbol, which drives my disdain for this gobshite further deep.
August 22, 2017
Maybe I would have appreciated it more if I had seen the series...
½ April 25, 2017
Sex and the City is a superficial, pretentious melodrama full of shallow, unlikeable characters, insipid plot threads, crass materialism, and contradictory messages.
½ January 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
November 17, 2016
The fans of the show may be satisfied, but this film is hideous, predictable, feels like Mexican telenovela and is embarrassment to the show. Ultimately, it fails on every level and should have never been made.
½ September 13, 2016
Es entretenida, me gusta que muestra todo tipo de relaciones entre las parejas, tanto las buenas como las malas, y que al final llegan a una conclusión y un avance en los personajes, lastimosamente no me gusta Sarah Jessica Parker, no me gusta verla, y me parece que es muy larga, se podría hacer esta película en 100 minutos.
August 1, 2016
In its transition to the big screen, the long-running HBO series gives birth to an endless and uneven movie, and while the TV stories of these four women living for sex and fashion in the Big Apple could be appealing, here the characters seem only shallow, stupid and vulgar.
½ June 12, 2016
Tt jaksaa aina vaan katsoa uudelleen, sarjaa ja leffaa. Alla joku vanha arvio...mutta kyll, sellainen walk-in closet kelpaisi tosiaankin.

As fabulous as I expected! I loved the TV show, I loved the movie (but I don't like Mr. Big so much...). Great clothes, great girls, great guys, great friendship...great clothes! It was exactly what you can expect after the TV show. (but maybe the movie does not give you so much if you don't know the TV series).

All the familiar faces where there, the new girl (assistant) was nice and fresh. Samantha had calm down too much?

I laughed and I cried (and that is what any good movie is supposed to make you do). It is girlish nonsense, but I like it, it is a perfect escape from the reality ;-) It was also a nice story about love and forgiveness.

And I want such a closet, too!!!
May 27, 2016
I don't like this type of movie.
May 21, 2016
I'll admit, I'm biased- I've had a long standing love affair with Carrie and the gang for years now, and I can say as a fan, this did not disappoint.

The story follows the four leading ladies into their true adulthood- some get married (kind of), some get divorced, and some have kids. While the script leaves much to be desired when compared to the stellar writing of the TV series, it's all in all a decent story filled with ups, downs, and one liners from Carrie that still sizzle as much as they did in 2001.

While all of the woman deliver good performances, it's clear that the front runners are Sarah Jessica Parker and Cynthia Nixon. Parker bounces around from ecstatic, to depressed, to being brought back to life with ease.

It's Nixon, though, who takes the cake. The most believable of all the characters, she brings a realness to Miranda that is surely needed given her circumstances this time around. Her acting chops are on full display during a scene in which she makes a tough confession to Carrie- a turning point in the film delivered with a nervous face and quiver in her voice that both seem all too real to be acting. Although no one wants to be "a Miranda", it's her who resembles us most, and whose portrayer gives us emotion that is a cut above the rest.

Lastly, I could not write a review for this film without mentioning the superb cameo by miss Jennifer Hudson. Hudson plays Carries new assistant, and although the role is small, she delivers brilliant facial expressions and words of wisdom throughout. Her down to Earth demeanor makes her likable all around.

And who doesn't love a happy ending?

4 stars from me (yeah, I know)
May 4, 2016
A fabulous girlie film - I'd go to see this just to look at the fashion but it's also a great way to really round up the series. You won't be disappointed!!
May 2, 2016
I can see why people like watching the show, it's funny and relatable to a degree.

but this was insanely long, much longer than it needed to be. could have cut out like half an hour and it would have been better
April 2, 2016
I recently binged Sex and the City for the first time. I was excited to watch the movie but found myself playing on my phone during most of it. I love the girls, but it didn't feel the same and my hate for Big grew even more.
½ October 10, 2015
I'm so sorry I helped pay for this film.
½ September 21, 2015
It made more sense after watching the whole series in a few weeks and knowing every episode and character. Definitely looking forward to the sequel which I'll probably be watching in a few minutes.
½ June 21, 2015
My man card is in tiny pieces
June 19, 2015
Fabulous! So much style and sass in every second of the film. Absolutely love it.