Shampoo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shampoo Reviews

October 18, 2016
Another lost review. It's entertaining, but not something to write home about being based around a love affairs with more than six people. They were also intent on a subtle mocking the Nixon GOP throughout.
May 21, 2016
A great comedy with great acting. I loved it!
February 9, 2016
Sort of an anti-nostalgia piece . . . trading romantic notions about the late 60s for icy cynicism and shallow characters. Which represents a rarely seen perspective about that decade.
January 4, 2016
Oddly this is #47 on AFI's Top 100 Laughs list because this is an extremely dark film. Granted the central party scenes are quite funny at times, but this is hardly a comedy.
September 19, 2015
It's a nice dramady with a nice balance of comedy and drama with great performances from Warren Beatty and Goldie Hawn.
May 6, 2015
I'll take a Hal Ashby film over many films I've seen over the years. Shampoo is a fine film, but one that's certainly dated due to not just its style but its subject matter and underlying themes. Everybody gives terrific performances, and the film ends realistically, as opposed to a lesser film that might have gone with something much happier.
½ February 16, 2015
This pointed character study of a man whore was waaaaaaaaay ahead of its' time in terms of realistic depictions of sex, drugs, and language, but the shock value is limited by today's standards making the film not quite as potent to new viewers as it likely was in the time of its' premiere.
½ January 18, 2015
Entre comedia y romance un divertido film que tuvo mucho xito en el año de su estreno , destacan las actuaciones secundarias de Lee Grant y Jack Warden.
September 6, 2014
Actually enjoyed this :)
April 25, 2014
One of the very best films of 1975 and that's really saying something. Robert Towne's screenplay is perfection.
½ April 13, 2014
Mildly interesting but feels dated. Ostensibly a commentary on the social mores and morals of the late-1960s, this movie hasn't aged well. Much of the moral dilemmas and predicaments, which may have seemed fresh and unique at the time, are ingrained and old news now.

The romance angle is also nothing new.

The free-wheeling young people vs the stuffy older generation was laid on rather thick and is another aspect which seems not at all profound now.

Has its moments though. Some quite funny scenes. Overall, however, just feels dull and pointless.

Decent performances by Warren Beatty, Julie Christie, Goldie Hawn and Jack Warden.
½ April 10, 2014
Shampoo is a decent film. It is about lovers who undo a hairdresser from Beverly Hills around Election Eve in 1968. Warren Beatty, Goldie Hawn, and Julie Christie give good performances. The script is enjoyable but a little slow in places. Hal Ashby did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the romance and humor.
March 17, 2014
Warren Beatty prevented another household photo shoot. You have him to thank. Is this movie the '70s version of "High Fidelity"? (which we also just recently watched). No, because much as I love John Cusack, he can never beat Warren.
March 9, 2014
Meh. I didn't see the significance of any of it. Was any of this daring or new in 1975? Still, the principals are nice to watch, and Jack Albertson gets the girl instead of Warren, so there's that.
February 24, 2014
gr8 adult comedy that gets the balance between humor and serious right
January 25, 2014
Lame. Understood it, but didnt get it. Unfunny talkfest satire about a male casanova hairdresser cheating on his gf w literally all of his female clientele.
Weirdly, the actors here are insiders into watching the Hollywood actor sex-trade politics, some actual contributors like Beatty who co-wrote and starred along w his reported real life lover julie christie - who reportedly didn't want to be in it, but did it as a favor to Beatty.
It has a pervading melancholy angst instead of being a light adult sex comedy - that heaviness sucks the life out of the whole movie.
It should have been a real popcorn fest watching hollywood exes dealing w each other, but its like a quietly seething argument at a funeral - you just want out of there, but you politely stay til its over.
The movie ends with a typical 70s, ambiguous ending where everyone wanders away in an angst-y daze.
Its Tired, dated and could only be enhanced by commentary, so at least they could gossip about the interesting things going on while you are being tortured w this bore-fest.
Dont bother..
Look. Now Ive said to

One star for the great soundtrack.

1 of 5
January 13, 2014
This is another film that I caught for Movie Shame Monday because it's always been on my radar as something of an iconic film from the '70s, and I have to say that I just might not have 'got' it, because the overall vibe I get is one of Warren Beatty's ennui, not the alleged comedy that it's supposed to be, and on top of that I'm meant to feel sorry for the guy who's grown tired of skating by on his looks and fucking every woman who wanders into his field of vision?

Oh, woe is me.

November 27, 2013
Quietly powerful examination of a decaying culture lensed through the lives of late 1960's Hollywood that remains surprisingly relevant in the 21st Century.
September 24, 2013
When the movies were truly good and the stars real stars: just take a look at Julie Christie here, people, she was a stand out, no many like those anymore!