Shane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shane Reviews

October 6, 2016
Wow. Shane is AMAZING. I honestly expected to loathe it as a sentimental, smaltzy product of lazy Hollywood. But it was nothing I expected. It felt authentic, powerful and human. A beautiful film and easily one of the best westerns I've ever seen. Loved every minute.
½ June 21, 2016
160621: A dramatic story with amazing scenery and some great western stars. Jack Palance, Ben Johnson, Elisha Cook Jr and Edgar Buchanan to name a few. The gaunt Jack Wilson (Palance) is just too cool for his own good. From his jingling gunfighter spurs to his talented horse you just know he's destined to face down the "hey, he's not-so-reserved" Shane (Alan Ladd). Now Morgan Ryker (John Dierkes), here's the true bad guy, power in the Ryker family. I'd almost swear his character was copied into Tombstone (1993). Joey (Brandon De Wilde) is as annoying as can be most of the time but you've got to love his expression when Shane (Alan Ladd) first demonstrates his shooting ability. Now that's acting! And, with his sidekick, Joey brings back memories of A Boy and His Dog (1975). The sodbuster clothing drives me crazy but I guess they're sodbusters...and I don't cotton to such. It's funny, but you almost sympathize with Rufus Ryker's (Emile Meyer) position about half way through this movie, and he truly seems to not want to resort to gunplay. But, he does, and with that, you're entertained. A decent film highlighted by many good lines and a fantastic finale.
June 3, 2016
Aika hidastempoinen rytmi. Tyylitelty. Hieno kuvaus ja upeat maisemat. Se natiainen oli aivan hemmetin ärsyttävä. Yksi piste pois ihan vain sen takia.
½ May 22, 2016
One of the best westerns ever made.
May 21, 2016
Our standards are too low. This was poorly done. I could hardly sit through it. I points up how difficult good writing and direction can be. (For that, look to such films such as Glory and Dances WW.)
May 10, 2016
Great movie. Mad quirky in unexpected ways, mad HOLY SHIT in expected ways. People that think it's cheesy are dumb
April 7, 2016
Would probably higher if it weren't for the kid. Bang! Bang bang bang bang bang! I love you! I hate you! Bang! Maybe I'm just used to the quality of child actors we have these days, but this kid was Cousin Oliver annoying. I'm stunned he was up for an Oscar.

Otherwise, excellent movie.
April 2, 2016
haven't watch this in a long time still a classic western I'm sure Netflix doesn't have this ! thanks tcm for making shane comeback! !
March 1, 2016
Simplistic, endearing & poetic.
February 18, 2016
Shane is a near masterpiece in plot, storytelling, atmosphere, direction, cinematography and of course the performances by it's cast.
The plot may seem basic, but that's one of the few elements that's great, it allows drama and action to build upon it, which it does successfully.
The cast give a wonderfully intense performances, which also makes this film quite enjoyable.
½ January 26, 2016
What I loved about this movie:
-Jack Palance, Brandon de Wilde, Alan Ladd.
-the settings.
What I didn't like:
-the overuse of music,
-the length, 20 mins. too long,SPOILER ALERT
-plotting: why did Chris betray his boss? Why didn't Shane at least tell Joe what was waiting for him (a "stacked deck")? This manoeuvring towards a finale was too obvious to be believable,
-Shane is absent for great chunks of the movie as the settlers and ranchers battle it out .
Once, this was among my favourite movies but it hasn't aged well, even for a children's movie - far too much violence, especially the callous shooting of Torey.
December 4, 2015
Some of the greatest films came out of the 20th Century and among those were Westerns. There is one Western that stands out above the rest: Shane (1953). Coming off a recent Oscar win for Best Director, George Stevens holds nothing back as he captures the spirit of the Old West and the fight for Manifest Destiny. With his breathtaking cinematography, realistic characters, and beautiful acting, Shane has gone down in film history as not only one of the greatest Westerns, but also one of the greatest films ever made.

The film opens to the Grand Teton Valley and the audience is introduced to its hero Shane (Alan Ladd). A lone man, on his horse riding across the frontier where he encounters Joe Starrett (Van Heflin), his wife Marian (Jean Arthur), and their young son Joey (Brandon De Wilde). A family of homesteaders trying to work their land claim while under pressure from a group of cattlemen: The Ryker Gang. The film follows the town and its people trying to fulfill their dreams of ownership and their desires to fight for their land but for some reason can't put action to their words, and it's Shane who ultimately holds the fate of the town in his hands.

This film isn't the typical Western with long drawn out gun fights or John Wayne or a complicated plot. This film is more simplistic but is dripping with deep morals that will toy with the audience's emotions. To make the film all the more emotionally wrenching, it is told through the eyes of little Joey. (Though he is a little annoying at times he truly is acting how any young boy or girl would act when their hero is around. Besides Brandon De Wilde was nominated for his role as Joey so he must be doing something right.)

Shane may seem dated because it is a Western but it is a film that is still relevant to today. Its use of characters being driven by their emotions and the unconventional hero are all elements that are still popular in today's film industry. Instead of Shane wearing a black mask and a cape he rides a horse and wears a cowboy hat. As you watch this you will experience the full-range of human emotion without even realizing it because of the film's storytelling ability. I guarantee that you will be on the verge of tears, just like Joey was, when he bid farewell to the mysterious hero, you too will yell, "Shane. Shane. Come back!"
½ November 17, 2015
The dazzling cinematography that explores the bucolic and idyllic landscapes, together with the strong ensemble cast, contributes to make this an unforgettable Western tale about a complex, divided hero and the relationship that he develops with a peaceful family.
August 8, 2015
One of the all time great Western's not just of the 1950's but of all time. Its a simple tale, that has been retold, retooled and used countless times across multiple genres. But that doesn't dilute this films power and standing.
½ August 3, 2015
Good western, and one where it is possible to see the point pf view of both sides, if not the way the protagonists deal with things. Annoying kid though!
August 3, 2015
Not my favourite film, but its still very very good.
½ June 11, 2015
For a western it seemed actually pretty believable. Sure some parts were a bit corny but for most part it seemed like it could've happened. Great tale and moved along nicely btw both the romance triangle and the main plot of feud btw farmers and the big mean rancher. It made me nostalgic for the days of the wilder yet simpler west. Great shots of the open fields and mountain backdrops.
May 28, 2015
The ending in this is great.
½ April 18, 2015
Entertaining classic cowboy and what it meant to keep values and stand up and fight the bullies.
March 12, 2015
One of the best westerns you'll ever see. Made to brake stereotypes while upholding them. Shane is the honorable antihero. This classic has western class.