Shane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shane Reviews

September 4, 2017
When I watch Shane, I idolize him like the kid does.
August 12, 2017
Not my type of the movie.
July 21, 2017
SHANE is a beautiful film about a jaded, remorseful man. Few films exist of this quality and this brilliance.
June 2, 2017
I was inspired to watch this after recently seeing "Logan"! It's a good movie, though a bit slow at times. And the young man playing "Joey" didn't really work for me, especially his reaction shots. But Palance is wonderful! He has a slow, deliberate, serpentine presence, and that evil grin/smile is just awesome! I wish he had had a little more screen time! He made a great villain! And, of course, it has one of the all-time-movie-ending lines!
April 18, 2017
I never get tired of watching Shane. It's got that mythic purity all the best Westerns have. Just about perfect.
½ April 17, 2017
A nice slow-burn western drama that covers a lot of pretty heavy themes, most notably the role of violence in this kind of society, for a movie of its time. All of the performances are solid (young Brandon deWilde is awkward, but you feel his sense of admiration towards Shane), with the highlight being Alan Ladd as the charming titular character. George Stevens crafts a beautiful film not only in its narrative, but technically as well: that cinematography Oscar is so well-deserved. It's not the most exciting western as far as shootouts or action scenes goes, but with what the film has to say on a deeper level, that makes it all the better.
March 25, 2017
This is the film that comes to mind when I think of the classic Hollywood western. Every detail of the film is executed to perfection. A must see!!
½ March 8, 2017
Humble but inspiring, this little western offers a heartwarming story that benefits, mostly, from its cast, specially by the charisma of Alan Ladd in the lead role, even if the film lacks the usual amount of action of a typical genre flick.
March 3, 2017
Influence on Logan, the last Wolverine movie?
October 6, 2016
Wow. Shane is AMAZING. I honestly expected to loathe it as a sentimental, smaltzy product of lazy Hollywood. But it was nothing I expected. It felt authentic, powerful and human. A beautiful film and easily one of the best westerns I've ever seen. Loved every minute.
½ June 21, 2016
160621: A dramatic story with amazing scenery and some great western stars. Jack Palance, Ben Johnson, Elisha Cook Jr and Edgar Buchanan to name a few. The gaunt Jack Wilson (Palance) is just too cool for his own good. From his jingling gunfighter spurs to his talented horse you just know he's destined to face down the "hey, he's not-so-reserved" Shane (Alan Ladd). Now Morgan Ryker (John Dierkes), here's the true bad guy, power in the Ryker family. I'd almost swear his character was copied into Tombstone (1993). Joey (Brandon De Wilde) is as annoying as can be most of the time but you've got to love his expression when Shane (Alan Ladd) first demonstrates his shooting ability. Now that's acting! And, with his sidekick, Joey brings back memories of A Boy and His Dog (1975). The sodbuster clothing drives me crazy but I guess they're sodbusters...and I don't cotton to such. It's funny, but you almost sympathize with Rufus Ryker's (Emile Meyer) position about half way through this movie, and he truly seems to not want to resort to gunplay. But, he does, and with that, you're entertained. A decent film highlighted by many good lines and a fantastic finale.
June 3, 2016
Aika hidastempoinen rytmi. Tyylitelty. Hieno kuvaus ja upeat maisemat. Se natiainen oli aivan hemmetin ärsyttävä. Yksi piste pois ihan vain sen takia.
½ May 22, 2016
One of the best westerns ever made.
May 21, 2016
Our standards are too low. This was poorly done. I could hardly sit through it. I points up how difficult good writing and direction can be. (For that, look to such films such as Glory and Dances WW.)
May 10, 2016
Great movie. Mad quirky in unexpected ways, mad HOLY SHIT in expected ways. People that think it's cheesy are dumb
April 7, 2016
Would probably higher if it weren't for the kid. Bang! Bang bang bang bang bang! I love you! I hate you! Bang! Maybe I'm just used to the quality of child actors we have these days, but this kid was Cousin Oliver annoying. I'm stunned he was up for an Oscar.

Otherwise, excellent movie.
April 2, 2016
haven't watch this in a long time still a classic western I'm sure Netflix doesn't have this ! thanks tcm for making shane comeback! !
March 1, 2016
Simplistic, endearing & poetic.
February 18, 2016
Shane is a near masterpiece in plot, storytelling, atmosphere, direction, cinematography and of course the performances by it's cast.
The plot may seem basic, but that's one of the few elements that's great, it allows drama and action to build upon it, which it does successfully.
The cast give a wonderfully intense performances, which also makes this film quite enjoyable.
½ January 26, 2016
What I loved about this movie:
-Jack Palance, Brandon de Wilde, Alan Ladd.
-the settings.
What I didn't like:
-the overuse of music,
-the length, 20 mins. too long,SPOILER ALERT
-plotting: why did Chris betray his boss? Why didn't Shane at least tell Joe what was waiting for him (a "stacked deck")? This manoeuvring towards a finale was too obvious to be believable,
-Shane is absent for great chunks of the movie as the settlers and ranchers battle it out .
Once, this was among my favourite movies but it hasn't aged well, even for a children's movie - far too much violence, especially the callous shooting of Torey.