Sherlock Holmes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sherlock Holmes Reviews

October 17, 2016
Sherlock Holmes is a visually spectacular feature which is complemented by a superb cast. Downey Jr. continues to illustrate his exquisite acting chops while Jude law provides a notable performance. Strong is the dark horse that captures and portrays his character unexpectedly well and almost steals the limelight. Guy Ritchie, after a slew of cinematic atrocities has finally managed to conjure up a successful formula once again and will undoubtedly keep the franchise of Holmes successfully safe in the majestically talented hands of Downey Jr. In conclusion, Sherlock Holmes is an eclectic concoction that pleasurably unravels to the audiences delight in a very unlike Guy Ritchie format. Kudos!
September 23, 2016
Well paced, strong performances, brilliant score and A level editing make Sherlock Holmes an incredible amount of fun.
September 5, 2016
Interesting direction from Guy Ritchie and another great Robert Downey Jr. performance carry this one
½ September 3, 2016
Amazing movie, Robert d.junior really does make the roll his own, his OCD and over all flawed personality is met perfectly by Jewed Law whose acting equals, that of Roberts. The whole movie is well made and the style of filming and plot revealing is cleaver and fun.
August 22, 2016
With four writers, and some not being very good, this movie is obviously going to be messy. Robert Downey Jr, Jude Law, and Rachel McAdams give excellent performances, and Downey and Law have great chemistry! Eddie Marsan is also great, and I don't know if he's acknowledged enough, but I just feel like he isn't. Guy Ritchie's direction is excellent as usual, and has really made the movie a lot better. The action is great, badass, and well choreographed. The score is outstanding from Hans Zimmer, and deserves it's Oscar nomination! The setting makes the movie really feel like it's in that older time! The main problem is the writing. Four writers, two I don't like (I HATE Simon Kinberg) and two that are fine. There is some humor, the script is good because Holmes and Watson have good lines and conversation between each other. But the story isn't great and doesn't hold up, and it's also messy, as well as not lasting the whole runtime. The villain is also bad, pretty unscary and stupid, and Mark Strong's performance wasn't good either, which doesn't help. The case, as well, wasn't great, but I did like how it wrapped up enough. If Guy Ritchie would have just written this, even as one of many, it would have been better. The runtime is another issue, it feels a little long. But in the end, Guy Ritchie, and the three leads, saved this from not being fresh, even though it probably should be a 5/10. I am more excited for the sequel because it will retain everything great about this, and replace the problems! Two writers!
½ August 8, 2016
The latest adaption of the legendary character is as clever and sharp as he is, but it's also overly theatrical and plays like a comic book film might. Robert Downey Jr. is reliably entertaining and witty as an eccentric, impulsive detective, but in the end his character is a bit silly, just as Lord Blackwood is overly serious and Irene Adler isn't as devious as she's made out to be. Watson is reduced to a dim witted doctor that's only purpose is to curse his partner's ludicrous decisions for comic relief. The film also has an almost corny sense of time and place. It makes a special effort to drown the film in greys and blues and surround its characters in CGI industrialism with big iron boats and scaffolded bridges. The Old London setting is clear, but cartoonishly grim and dreary. The use of dark magic only adds to the theatricality of the movie.

That being said, the film's wit and sharp humor elevated it. One of the coolest points in the film is Holmes' boxing match, where he explains how and why he will disable his opponent in slow motion and then proceeds to do it. He deciphers all of Blackwood's ploys and then explains them to the audience. It is cool to see how the detective unravels the complex and sinister plans and debunks the dark magic. And at a dinner with Watson's fiance, he judges her character simply based on the smallest details of her outfit. The film's plotting is staged in a way that makes Sherlock's discoveries novel and interesting. It is engaging intellectually, but as a visual or emotional experience it's largely a dull affair.
July 28, 2016
It's a fun take on Arthur Conan Doyle's detective, with Guy Ritchie's unmistakable style actually lending itself to the movie rather well.
July 16, 2016
Fun Action-Adventure, Holmes Style

Originally Written December 26, 2009-- When a string of brutal murders terrorizes London, it doesn't take long for legendary detective Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.) and his crime-solving partner, Dr. Watson (Jude Law), to find the killer, Lord Blackwood (Mark Strong). A devotee of the dark arts, Blackwood has a bigger scheme in mind, and his execution plays right into his plans. The game is afoot when Blackwood seems to rise from the grave, plunging Holmes and Watson into the world of the occult and strange technologies. Is Robert Downey Jr. on an incredible hot-streak right now or what?! After last year's Iron Man and the upcoming sequel next year, his turn here as Sir Conan Doyle's incredible detective is fantastic! His British accent was spot-on! I loved this fun, Holmes-style action adventure. You will too!
½ July 15, 2016
One of the best movies I have ever seen! This fresh take on the sherlock Holmes legend is a welcome addition. I enjoyed the action very much and robert Downey Jr was great!! Mark strong was perfect to play lord blackwood, a dark and sinister character. Guy Ritchie has made a great, great work of art here, and I tip my hat to him for his originality
July 8, 2016
Good movie.Thoroughly entertaining and great performance from RDJ.
½ July 8, 2016
greatest of all detective films
massive show of acting by Robert DJ.
½ June 19, 2016
Sherlock Holmes is a visually stylish and dramatically engaging film that benefits greatly from having Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law in the lead roles.
June 10, 2016
thrilled to have seen it.
½ June 10, 2016
Sherlock & Watson investigate a dark threat to England.

Not at all what I had in mind given the title, but this movie was still able to provide an entertaining look at the detective duo, Sherlock and Watson.

This film is fun and fast yet dark and intellectual as well. This is another interesting role for Robert Downey Jr which he does rather well alongside Jude Law as Dr Watson. The rough and tumble Sherlock is an interesting take which adds to the action pieces throughout a 'deconstructed' London.

At the heart of the movie is a properly good investigation which is intriguing to follow and allows us to connect the dots - even if it might take a second viewing to put it all together!
½ June 4, 2016
100407: Good movie with some neat action?but?just didn?t quite grab me enough. Lacking something?just not sure what.
June 3, 2016
Good performances especially Robert dowley jr , pretty Funny , realist settings optimal soundtrack and a story that gradually reveal the course of the film.
May 29, 2016
Love love love! Intricate plot line, laughs and thrills. I'll be watching it over and over.
½ May 26, 2016
Tramples all over the source material but it's a fun action-adventure romp.
May 20, 2016
Robert Downey Jr. is brilliant, Jude Law and Rachel McAdams are great, the action sequences are fun, the story is good and has a lot of well-placed humor, and Hans Zimmer's score is exquisite.
April 24, 2016
One of the very few movies to surprise me with a (type of) twist.