Sherlock Holmes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sherlock Holmes Reviews

½ May 26, 2017
Fully entertaining update of the character that takes a more steam punk approach to the story and thus works better than the TV series.
½ May 23, 2017
'Sherlock Holmes' was directed by Guy Ritchie and stars Robert Downey Jr, Jude Law and Mark Strong. It is the story of world famous British icon, Sherlock Holmes(Robert Downey Jr) and his equally famous sidekick, Dr Jon Watson(Jude Law) who go on the hunt of the mysterious dark wizard, Lord Blackwood(Mark Strong). It is up to Holmes and co to solve this dark villain's plan before it's too late, and he has the entire of London under his spell.

This movie is weird. I can't explain specifically why I like this movie, I just do. It's fun, it's weird and it's full of ye olde Guy Ritchie-isms so what's not to love? The story was engaging, the characters are classical but done justice and it's a Guy Ritchie movie. The action is, of course, Guy Ritchie. The dialogue is, of course, Guy Ritchie. This movie contains more Guy Ritchie than his birth certificate. It's a well though out movie and I do recommend you see if because you'll probably get a kick or two out of it.

The story, for starters, is very engaging and contains a classical Sherlock Holmes-esc mystery. Of course you only watch a good 'ol mystery for the grand reveal(and this is no exception) but it provides you with a fun, interesting and unique example of Holmes' classic array of stories. I will say that some parts of the movie(for example 'Teleportation' were explained about as well as a gorilla trying to teach someone how not to get shot(too soon?). This movie is also made to setup a sequel(which I'm fine with) but I feel they took too much time focusing on setting up that sequel than they did focusing on the movie.

Robert 'The Drug Addiction'(Still love ya Robert) Downey Jr was pretty good as the titular character but he did come of as a tad too comical at points which I suppose fit the character but came off as a little forced and weird. Jude Law was fine as Watson and I can tell he relished in this role. Mark Strong was fine as Lord Blackwood but I think that his character only showed up at random intervals in the plot and merely served as a way to progress the plot along. Rachel McAdams was fine as Irene Adler.

Technically speaking, this is a Guy Ritchie movie and is primarily style over substance. That is completely fine in this movie and it is stylistically beautiful. The costume design was great(as was the set design) and looked realistic considering the time period this movie was set in. The cinematography in this movie was very good as per Guy Ritchie fashion and everything part of it screams Ritchie.

The action in this movie was pretty good but it did become a tad bit repetitive, especially considering it was the same hand-to-hand combat consistently. Not to say that the slo-mo sections of it were very well done and looked just awesome. The humour worked well but I think that is just down to Downey's charisma and less down to the 'Oscar Worthy' writing.

The actual 'Sherlock Holmes' theme of this movie was excellent and very enjoyable. The other uses of music paled in comparison and didn't work too well.

In conclusion, if you can handle enough Guy Ritchie to paralyse an elephant then you'll probably enjoy this movie. It's got fun(sometimes bland) action, witty humour and is all around a good time. It is definitely more stylistic than substance which is fine and shouldn't bother many people but I do understand if it does. I do recommend this movie and I think it's a good re-imagining of this character.

7/10
May 20, 2017
except that jude law can't act (too self-conscious)
½ May 1, 2017
Sherlock Holmes is directed by Guy Ritchie, and it stars Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law, Rachel McAdams, and Mark Strong in a mystery film about detective Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.) and John Watson (Jude Law) going in a case that they thought Blackwood (Mark Strong) is dead from their previous case, but it turns out that he came back from the grave and does whatever he does to do. I remember that I never heard of Guy Ritchie before until I started to watch the Sherlock Holmes films, which I bet was his comeback after some bombers and a film that wasn't quite the success, even if I heard it's in the right direction from Guy Ritchie. So for Sherlock Holmes, this is definitely something that's for me. Robert Downey Jr. is definitely the right actor for Sherlock Holmes in the big screen as he makes this character his own version, and go with it that doesn't feel like other actors playing this character. Jude Law is great as Watson and has enough purpose to be there with Sherlock Holmes. Rachel McAdams does a good job of acting very manipulative to the main character, and Mark Strong is very intimidating in this. Even though the story is made up as it's written by Lionel Wigram and Michael Robert Johnson, it feels like a story that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would've wrote, so it feels like a faithful story that the characters remain memorable in the movie, even the new villain that has some cool traits, especially an interesting twist in the end. The action scenes are a lot of fun to watch, especially the slow motion parts that shows the intelligence from Sherlock Holmes's mind. The only issues that I can at least think of, is that there wasn't much point of purpose to Watson's wife being there other then to be a wife to him, and I wanted to know a bit more about Irene Adler in terms of her backstory with the villain in the sequel. So for this movie, it's a really great film that I don't mind going back to this again, even though the TV series Sherlock is possibly the best adaptation of Sherlock Holmes so far.
April 12, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: Handing the keys for the world's greatest detective to Guy Ritchie seemed rather like the kind of thing you'd do after a few too many beers down your local Yorkshire pub, but the final result is an unquestionably fresh and surprisingly brilliant cocktail. Yes in bringing his unique snappy style and losing a touch of lad-ish-ness along the way, Ritchie delivers a film that can actually be best described as mirroring this version of Holmes himself - gritty underneath, and witty and suave on top. Here of course, Holmes mainly gets those traits from Robert Downey Jr, who's brilliant portrayal not only hooks you with all those things, but also builds a genuine level of emotional depth to broadcast a different side of the character that really compliments the film's tone and well-realised setting. That humanity also comes from the script though, which intelligently balances that serious development with equally snappy humour that's tailored extremely well to the two leads. In the end then, that leaves for a properly enjoyable film where there's genuinely great stuff there for the brilliant comedy and action to relieve. Weirdly, Guy Ritchie is properly, properly back.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: There's no doubting that whilst there is definitely plenty of grounded material here, the plot and style is - often deliberately - rather silly.
VERDICT: An extremely fun film that hooks you with its underlying merit and plays with it in the most delightful, and surprisingly Guy Ritchie kind of way.
March 15, 2017
A great deal of fun. It's a flavor of character that only Downey can pull of. Jude Law does a great Dr Watson as well.
½ February 20, 2017
Good, but not as good as the second one.
February 17, 2017
Meant to make you think...
But to laugh while you're thinking.
January 25, 2017
Very average and just a bit boring. Lets hoep the sequel is better!
½ January 17, 2017
It was energetic, it was fun and really entertaining and quite funny. Robert Downey Jr, brought quite a character to the famous detective, quite a vibrant personality. At points scenes felt like scenes from the TV series, but it was never as well orchistrated as the TV series. It was fast-paced and fun and a good adventure.
January 17, 2017
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic crime-solver has been portrayed on film more than any other literary figure. The new version, starring Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes and Jude Law as Watson, has marketed the sleuth as an action hero instead of an intellectual. To my pleasant surprise, the film itself is true to its source material and Holmes' legendary mind is front and center in the narrative. The recreation of turn-of-the-century London is exquisite in its detail and the story builds steam as it goes on (indeed, I found myself enjoying it more and more as it progressed).

Downey, an American, flawlessly portrays the British lead, while Law's Watson is portrayed as less of a sidekick and more of a partner. The two have fantastic buddy chemistry, and their good-natured bickering is a delight. Parents should be aware that this PG-13 film, while very light on offensive language and sexuality (a woman's bare back is seen, as is a man's bare chest in a different scene, and there is one innuendo) does have a good deal of action violence and some blood. Also, the storyline involves the occult, which is displayed as evil and to be combated, but its portrayal may still make some uncomfortable. Sherlock Holmes comes recommended to those who enjoy action films with substance.
December 28, 2016
I am SO FREAKING EXCITED!!!!!!
October 17, 2016
Sherlock Holmes is a visually spectacular feature which is complemented by a superb cast. Downey Jr. continues to illustrate his exquisite acting chops while Jude law provides a notable performance. Strong is the dark horse that captures and portrays his character unexpectedly well and almost steals the limelight. Guy Ritchie, after a slew of cinematic atrocities has finally managed to conjure up a successful formula once again and will undoubtedly keep the franchise of Holmes successfully safe in the majestically talented hands of Downey Jr. In conclusion, Sherlock Holmes is an eclectic concoction that pleasurably unravels to the audiences delight in a very unlike Guy Ritchie format. Kudos!
September 23, 2016
Well paced, strong performances, brilliant score and A level editing make Sherlock Holmes an incredible amount of fun.
September 5, 2016
Interesting direction from Guy Ritchie and another great Robert Downey Jr. performance carry this one
½ September 3, 2016
Amazing movie, Robert d.junior really does make the roll his own, his OCD and over all flawed personality is met perfectly by Jewed Law whose acting equals, that of Roberts. The whole movie is well made and the style of filming and plot revealing is cleaver and fun.
August 22, 2016
With four writers, and some not being very good, this movie is obviously going to be messy. Robert Downey Jr, Jude Law, and Rachel McAdams give excellent performances, and Downey and Law have great chemistry! Eddie Marsan is also great, and I don't know if he's acknowledged enough, but I just feel like he isn't. Guy Ritchie's direction is excellent as usual, and has really made the movie a lot better. The action is great, badass, and well choreographed. The score is outstanding from Hans Zimmer, and deserves it's Oscar nomination! The setting makes the movie really feel like it's in that older time! The main problem is the writing. Four writers, two I don't like (I HATE Simon Kinberg) and two that are fine. There is some humor, the script is good because Holmes and Watson have good lines and conversation between each other. But the story isn't great and doesn't hold up, and it's also messy, as well as not lasting the whole runtime. The villain is also bad, pretty unscary and stupid, and Mark Strong's performance wasn't good either, which doesn't help. The case, as well, wasn't great, but I did like how it wrapped up enough. If Guy Ritchie would have just written this, even as one of many, it would have been better. The runtime is another issue, it feels a little long. But in the end, Guy Ritchie, and the three leads, saved this from not being fresh, even though it probably should be a 5/10. I am more excited for the sequel because it will retain everything great about this, and replace the problems! Two writers!
½ August 8, 2016
The latest adaption of the legendary character is as clever and sharp as he is, but it's also overly theatrical and plays like a comic book film might. Robert Downey Jr. is reliably entertaining and witty as an eccentric, impulsive detective, but in the end his character is a bit silly, just as Lord Blackwood is overly serious and Irene Adler isn't as devious as she's made out to be. Watson is reduced to a dim witted doctor that's only purpose is to curse his partner's ludicrous decisions for comic relief. The film also has an almost corny sense of time and place. It makes a special effort to drown the film in greys and blues and surround its characters in CGI industrialism with big iron boats and scaffolded bridges. The Old London setting is clear, but cartoonishly grim and dreary. The use of dark magic only adds to the theatricality of the movie.

That being said, the film's wit and sharp humor elevated it. One of the coolest points in the film is Holmes' boxing match, where he explains how and why he will disable his opponent in slow motion and then proceeds to do it. He deciphers all of Blackwood's ploys and then explains them to the audience. It is cool to see how the detective unravels the complex and sinister plans and debunks the dark magic. And at a dinner with Watson's fiance, he judges her character simply based on the smallest details of her outfit. The film's plotting is staged in a way that makes Sherlock's discoveries novel and interesting. It is engaging intellectually, but as a visual or emotional experience it's largely a dull affair.
July 28, 2016
***
It's a fun take on Arthur Conan Doyle's detective, with Guy Ritchie's unmistakable style actually lending itself to the movie rather well.
July 16, 2016
Fun Action-Adventure, Holmes Style

Originally Written December 26, 2009-- When a string of brutal murders terrorizes London, it doesn't take long for legendary detective Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.) and his crime-solving partner, Dr. Watson (Jude Law), to find the killer, Lord Blackwood (Mark Strong). A devotee of the dark arts, Blackwood has a bigger scheme in mind, and his execution plays right into his plans. The game is afoot when Blackwood seems to rise from the grave, plunging Holmes and Watson into the world of the occult and strange technologies. Is Robert Downey Jr. on an incredible hot-streak right now or what?! After last year's Iron Man and the upcoming sequel next year, his turn here as Sir Conan Doyle's incredible detective is fantastic! His British accent was spot-on! I loved this fun, Holmes-style action adventure. You will too!