Sherlock Holmes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sherlock Holmes Reviews

August 16, 2017
A dark, precisely paced, and funny interpretation of the legendary detective, Guy Ritchie builds a world that is visually trippy and occasionally messy, while Robert Downey Jr. gives a smart-as-a-whip portrayal.
August 14, 2017
An Excellent film by Robert Downey, Jr. is a Must see Movie titled Sherlock Holmes benefits from the elementary appeal, so I give it a *4* star Movie.
August 6, 2017
i am waiting for its third movie !!!!!!
½ July 25, 2017
Rewatching this on tv after seeing it previously. Terrific adaptation of the classic Doyle character.

7/25/17
½ July 8, 2017
The first one is a solid revamp of an old character everybody knows. Guy Ritchie's directorial style is all over this and I really loved the dark undertones set throughout this film. Robert Downey Jr, Jude Law and Mark Strong all bring solid performances. Hans Zimmer also does the score for both films and it's great. I enjoyed it but not as much as some.
June 29, 2017
Pretty good.
6/29/17: Watched with W.
June 19, 2017
Gritty and witty, Sherlock Holmes is not only a slick detective story but a damn fine action movie too, mostly due to Robert Downey Jr.'s strong performance
June 15, 2017
Extremely entertaining reinterpretation of Sherlock Holmes; characters made believable and likable by Robert Downey, Jr and Jude Law. And the music by Hans Zimmer fit perfect to the fast action scenes in old world London.
½ June 10, 2017
It didn't capture the essence of Sherlock Holmes. The atmosphere was all wrong. Very dull as well. (First and only viewing - 12/25/2009 in theaters)
June 7, 2017
Just a fantastic film done by two great actors... have been a RDJ fan for years now.
June 4, 2017
Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law make a great team!
June 4, 2017
Sherlock Holmes puts forward fascinating themes such as it's interesting take on Watson and Holmes relationship, but never fully explores the deeper themes it puts forward and replaces it with action sequences instead.
May 31, 2017
Sherlock Holmes has never been sexier. The directing, performances, and setting all add up to a rip-roaring, fun mystery film.
½ May 26, 2017
Fully entertaining update of the character that takes a more steam punk approach to the story and thus works better than the TV series.
½ May 23, 2017
'Sherlock Holmes' was directed by Guy Ritchie and stars Robert Downey Jr, Jude Law and Mark Strong. It is the story of world famous British icon, Sherlock Holmes(Robert Downey Jr) and his equally famous sidekick, Dr Jon Watson(Jude Law) who go on the hunt of the mysterious dark wizard, Lord Blackwood(Mark Strong). It is up to Holmes and co to solve this dark villain's plan before it's too late, and he has the entire of London under his spell.

This movie is weird. I can't explain specifically why I like this movie, I just do. It's fun, it's weird and it's full of ye olde Guy Ritchie-isms so what's not to love? The story was engaging, the characters are classical but done justice and it's a Guy Ritchie movie. The action is, of course, Guy Ritchie. The dialogue is, of course, Guy Ritchie. This movie contains more Guy Ritchie than his birth certificate. It's a well though out movie and I do recommend you see if because you'll probably get a kick or two out of it.

The story, for starters, is very engaging and contains a classical Sherlock Holmes-esc mystery. Of course you only watch a good 'ol mystery for the grand reveal(and this is no exception) but it provides you with a fun, interesting and unique example of Holmes' classic array of stories. I will say that some parts of the movie(for example 'Teleportation' were explained about as well as a gorilla trying to teach someone how not to get shot(too soon?). This movie is also made to setup a sequel(which I'm fine with) but I feel they took too much time focusing on setting up that sequel than they did focusing on the movie.

Robert 'The Drug Addiction'(Still love ya Robert) Downey Jr was pretty good as the titular character but he did come of as a tad too comical at points which I suppose fit the character but came off as a little forced and weird. Jude Law was fine as Watson and I can tell he relished in this role. Mark Strong was fine as Lord Blackwood but I think that his character only showed up at random intervals in the plot and merely served as a way to progress the plot along. Rachel McAdams was fine as Irene Adler.

Technically speaking, this is a Guy Ritchie movie and is primarily style over substance. That is completely fine in this movie and it is stylistically beautiful. The costume design was great(as was the set design) and looked realistic considering the time period this movie was set in. The cinematography in this movie was very good as per Guy Ritchie fashion and everything part of it screams Ritchie.

The action in this movie was pretty good but it did become a tad bit repetitive, especially considering it was the same hand-to-hand combat consistently. Not to say that the slo-mo sections of it were very well done and looked just awesome. The humour worked well but I think that is just down to Downey's charisma and less down to the 'Oscar Worthy' writing.

The actual 'Sherlock Holmes' theme of this movie was excellent and very enjoyable. The other uses of music paled in comparison and didn't work too well.

In conclusion, if you can handle enough Guy Ritchie to paralyse an elephant then you'll probably enjoy this movie. It's got fun(sometimes bland) action, witty humour and is all around a good time. It is definitely more stylistic than substance which is fine and shouldn't bother many people but I do understand if it does. I do recommend this movie and I think it's a good re-imagining of this character.

7/10
May 20, 2017
except that jude law can't act (too self-conscious)
½ May 1, 2017
Sherlock Holmes is directed by Guy Ritchie, and it stars Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law, Rachel McAdams, and Mark Strong in a mystery film about detective Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.) and John Watson (Jude Law) going in a case that they thought Blackwood (Mark Strong) is dead from their previous case, but it turns out that he came back from the grave and does whatever he does to do. I remember that I never heard of Guy Ritchie before until I started to watch the Sherlock Holmes films, which I bet was his comeback after some bombers and a film that wasn't quite the success, even if I heard it's in the right direction from Guy Ritchie. So for Sherlock Holmes, this is definitely something that's for me. Robert Downey Jr. is definitely the right actor for Sherlock Holmes in the big screen as he makes this character his own version, and go with it that doesn't feel like other actors playing this character. Jude Law is great as Watson and has enough purpose to be there with Sherlock Holmes. Rachel McAdams does a good job of acting very manipulative to the main character, and Mark Strong is very intimidating in this. Even though the story is made up as it's written by Lionel Wigram and Michael Robert Johnson, it feels like a story that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would've wrote, so it feels like a faithful story that the characters remain memorable in the movie, even the new villain that has some cool traits, especially an interesting twist in the end. The action scenes are a lot of fun to watch, especially the slow motion parts that shows the intelligence from Sherlock Holmes's mind. The only issues that I can at least think of, is that there wasn't much point of purpose to Watson's wife being there other then to be a wife to him, and I wanted to know a bit more about Irene Adler in terms of her backstory with the villain in the sequel. So for this movie, it's a really great film that I don't mind going back to this again, even though the TV series Sherlock is possibly the best adaptation of Sherlock Holmes so far.
April 12, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: Handing the keys for the world's greatest detective to Guy Ritchie seemed rather like the kind of thing you'd do after a few too many beers down your local Yorkshire pub, but the final result is an unquestionably fresh and surprisingly brilliant cocktail. Yes in bringing his unique snappy style and losing a touch of lad-ish-ness along the way, Ritchie delivers a film that can actually be best described as mirroring this version of Holmes himself - gritty underneath, and witty and suave on top. Here of course, Holmes mainly gets those traits from Robert Downey Jr, who's brilliant portrayal not only hooks you with all those things, but also builds a genuine level of emotional depth to broadcast a different side of the character that really compliments the film's tone and well-realised setting. That humanity also comes from the script though, which intelligently balances that serious development with equally snappy humour that's tailored extremely well to the two leads. In the end then, that leaves for a properly enjoyable film where there's genuinely great stuff there for the brilliant comedy and action to relieve. Weirdly, Guy Ritchie is properly, properly back.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: There's no doubting that whilst there is definitely plenty of grounded material here, the plot and style is - often deliberately - rather silly.
VERDICT: An extremely fun film that hooks you with its underlying merit and plays with it in the most delightful, and surprisingly Guy Ritchie kind of way.
March 15, 2017
A great deal of fun. It's a flavor of character that only Downey can pull of. Jude Law does a great Dr Watson as well.
½ February 20, 2017
Good, but not as good as the second one.