The Shining - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shining Reviews

September 18, 2017
Overwhelmingly suspenseful, once its plot is set up, writer and director Stanley Kubrick, once again, delivers precisely what he wanted; a delight in a horror/thriller that, even stepping in a considerable way from Stephen King's memorable novel, manages to become its own thing, thanks in a way to the stylish haunting atmosphere, perfect cinematography and one of cinemas most iconic antagonistic performances by Jack Nicholson.
½ September 17, 2017
For its time it is an awesome horror movie, the psychological aspect is thrilling and you can also feel how slowly you are losing your mind along with Jack.
September 16, 2017
'The Shining' or where the film goes further than the novel- not that Kubrick surpasses King, but that he goes beyond adaptation by creating a self sufficient piece of art. The brilliant filming, the mysterious details and the irrational aspects of the film are all pieces of a puzzle which altogether proves that Kubrick truly was a genius. The whole is complex but not complicated, mesmerizing and exciting. At the image of its hotel and maze, 'The Shining' explores madness throughout excellent performances from an excellent cast led by Jack Nicholson. If not a pure film version of the novel, 'The Shining' is a pure piece of cinema.
½ September 16, 2017
Great movie. Though, I find the beginning to the start of the 2nd act really boring. Not that it's a bad thing, It's just my personal opinion. Other than that, the movie's excellent. Jack Nicholson delivers an amazing performance, the story about the hotel was very terrifying and very well executed, and the overall directing is just perfect. I think the weak point for me is the writing. It's just fine, nothing special (except the twist at the end. I thought that was very interesting). I think the highlight of the movie for me was the directing (Stanley Kubrick is amazing) and the performance of Jack Torrance. Simply amazing.
½ September 11, 2017
One of the finest Stephen King adaptations to date. A horror classic.

Score: 9/10
September 11, 2017
An entire college course could be taught on the brilliance of this movie.

Little known fact: Stephen King wanted Robin Williams to play Jack Torrance.
September 10, 2017
This is a great thriller, period. I have nothing else to say except that the gory, scary fun is amazing. This movie took risks, a lot of risks including showing full frontal nudity (be prepared to turn around near room 217).
September 10, 2017
As much as fans of the book may complain, the true genius of this rather loose adaptation is the commitment it makes to its mood and internal terror. Kubrick shows once again that expertise and risk-taking do pay off in a genre too often safely guarded behind clichés and conventions.
September 8, 2017
Nicholson is great in Kubrick's cold thriller. DuVall is solid in support, but it's mainly Kubrick's directing and Nicholson that stand out. A little too long.
September 6, 2017
All time favorite movie so far (IT comes out Friday) but still the book is better, just like I think will happen with IT
September 3, 2017
A chilling film about the slow descent into madness and insanity. Also, what a performance from Shelly Duvall!
September 3, 2017
Grew on me the third time around. Writer moves family to desolate Colorado resort to look after a large, posh hotel where a former caretaker engaged in a murder suicide of his family before going off the deep end himself.
September 1, 2017
A great film with top notch performances and a haunting atmosphere.
August 28, 2017
My favorite Stanely Kubrick film which is expertly directed and is a masterpiece! Jack Nicholson's performance as Jack Torrance who slowly goes mad in the deserted hotel is amazing and really gives the people a scary feeling and is amazing to watch!
½ August 24, 2017
kubrick is a legend. I watched this on Netflix and fell in love with it. the sets, the acting, jack "shines" in this one. my second favorite horror movie.
½ August 24, 2017
What a croc of shit.
½ August 23, 2017
Jack Nicholson's performance still horrifies me every time I watch it. And Kubrick's film making is just excellent in this truly horrifying movie
August 22, 2017
Puntaje Original: 8.0

Perturbadora, aterradora y magníficas actuaciones. Un Stanley Kubrick en su punto de madurez como director, convierten a The Shining en una de las mejores películas de terror de todos los tiempos.
August 18, 2017
This Movie Was 34 Years Old In 2014.
August 15, 2017
After hearing all the hipe around this movie and how great it is, i gave it a watch. I was expecting 5/5 start material, but i had issues like i have with most films. The beginning was slow and kinda dragging on. However the imagery and performances were great. Jack Nicholson's character had a quite sudden and shocking decent into madness. The ending seemed a little anti climactic and predictable in my opinion. It was obvious that Danny would escape. I found it to be a very good flick, but not to scary. Worth a watch.