The Shining - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shining Reviews

August 18, 2017
This Movie Was 34 Years Old In 2014.
August 15, 2017
After hearing all the hipe around this movie and how great it is, i gave it a watch. I was expecting 5/5 start material, but i had issues like i have with most films. The beginning was slow and kinda dragging on. However the imagery and performances were great. Jack Nicholson's character had a quite sudden and shocking decent into madness. The ending seemed a little anti climactic and predictable in my opinion. It was obvious that Danny would escape. I found it to be a very good flick, but not to scary. Worth a watch.
August 13, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal horror movie starring Jack Nicholson and the girl from Popeye, oh and I forgot about the little kid. I had a blast with this movie, my father said that this movie is boring until Johnny turns all bad and I don't agree with him because I care about the characters and my father doesn't give a fudge. This is movie is a classic and will always be.
August 9, 2017
Just a demented good ol time with Jack Nicholson in a chilling performance!
½ August 3, 2017
'The Shining' or where the film goes further than the novel- not that Kubrick surpasses King, but that he goes beyond adaptation by creating a self sufficient piece of art. The brilliant filming, the mysterious details and the irrational aspects of the film are all pieces of a puzzle which altogether proves that Kubrick truly was a genius. The whole is complex but not complicated, mesmerizing and exciting. At the image of its hotel and maze, 'The Shining' explores madness throughout excellent performances from an excellent cast led by Jack Nicholson. If not a pure film version of the novel, 'The Shining' is a pure piece of cinema.
August 2, 2017
Stanley Kubrick confirms his incredible skills in this masterpiece, despite that moves away of King's novel. Nicholson's Jack Torrance is shocking, the scenes are intense, the art is completly visible and the direction is pure class.
August 1, 2017
Truly a cinematic masterpiece
July 28, 2017
HERES JHONNY!!!!!!!!!!
July 20, 2017
Stanley Kubrick takes the classic Stephen King novel, and makes a great film.
July 17, 2017
This movie has both inspired and de-motivated me to write. On one hand, it's refreshing that Kubrick saw Stephen King's novel as the ludicrous bore-fest that it was. At the same time, he took the subtlest things from King's work, (the dichotomy of creative madness and fatherhood) and actually created a moving piece of art that transcends entertainment horror. Every frame in The Shining is technically crafted to perfection, while every plot twist and ironic piece of dialog is allegorical, and in many cases, symbolic of American culture. I won't be one of the ones to claim Kubrick "confessed" anything in these movies. For all I know, he trolled the world by playing with iconic symbols as recklessly as Pollock. What is clear is that when Stanley finally succumbed to the maze of human existence, we lost the last great cinematic painter in the spirit of Wells and Hitchcock.
½ July 14, 2017
Kubrick does it again. Jack Nicholson has never made staring seem so terrifying and the authentically terrified reactions of Shelly Duvall, she was so stressed she started loosing some of her hair on this film, help to add authenticity to this slow building but thoroughly frightening film.
July 11, 2017
Second best film ever made, after 2001 - A Space Odyssey.
July 9, 2017
"The Shining" is a flat out masterpiece. This film leaves viewers pondering well after the horrors fade off of the screen and sear themselves into the viewer's mind. The film is much deeper than just a suspense/horror film, as many intriguing symbols exist throughout the movie that each viewer will have their own interpretation of, which allows the film to be a without a doubt masterpiece. Once you watch it, you'll be ready to watch it again and again to attempt to uncover the dark secrets of this film.
½ July 6, 2017
Jack Nicholson is brilliant.
July 2, 2017
The Shining is another one of my top ten movies! I am a fan of Jack Nicholson!
½ July 1, 2017
An unsettling, surreal psychological horror movie featuring some of the best directing from the great Stanley Kubrick and a terrifying performance by Jack Nicholson. It deserves its status as one of the greatest horror movies ever.
½ June 25, 2017
Truly one of the greatest horror films of all time, The Shining gives viewers Jack Nicholson's outstanding psychotic performance mixed with Stanley Kubrick's genius directing and visuals.
June 25, 2017
A very scary classic. 5 stars 4 sure.
½ June 24, 2017
Scary, intriguing, thought-provoking and ambiguos, I mean, very ambiguous, "The Shining" was the definitive horror masterpice that Kubrick could deliver and it couldn't be better. If only the blood river was more meaningful, the movie would be absolutely perfect. It isn't Kubrick's final masterpiece, but with a heavily perfect Jack Nicholson performance, could we really ask for better?
June 21, 2017
'The Shining'. The camera movement, the score, the sound design, the production design and the amazin Jack Nicholson.... Whole package is a masterpiece ! You realise the unthinkable was there under your nose - overlooked - the whole time."