The Shining - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shining Reviews

May 12, 2017
the shining is a masterpiece. anyone that says they didn't enjoy is either blind as a bat or lied about seeing it in the first place!
½ May 5, 2017
Finally finished this movie. Wow! If you think about it, it is not really scary but oh boy the movie builds up and keeps tension all the way to the end. Great acting by Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall. Little Danny Lloyd is also spectacular.
May 4, 2017
PARA MIM O GÊNERO DESSE FILME É DRAMA. NÃO O VEJO COMO TERROR.
April 26, 2017
If you don't like this you shouldn't even watch movies
April 25, 2017
This is more than a film for me. When people say the Shining is a cult classic, it really is truth. Gripping in every sense of the word, perfect for all movie lovers (even those who say they hate horror) and truly a masterpiece. To say it is my favorite movie of all time is an understatement
April 25, 2017
An unnerving masterpiece.
April 23, 2017
Very long for no reason
April 23, 2017
Completely overrated case of style over substance. Great Set design does not make a good movie.
½ April 18, 2017
I fell asleep during this movie did not invoke any kind of emotive reaction, how this managed to reach the number one spot for channel fours 100 greatest horror movies is beyond me,I was totally shocked.
½ April 15, 2017
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Now normally I start reviewing a film by talking about what I like about it, but in order to do that with 'The Shining,' I firstly need to highlight my problems with it. Yes as much as there are many great elements that I'll get into in a moment, for me, if this film is viewed as the straight horror it's supposed to be, it massively lets you down. Why? Well frankly, try as I might, I just can't buy Jack's descent into madness, and that unsurprisingly makes the whole piece feel rather fruitless. Now it would be easy to put all that down to Nicholson's off-the-wall portrayal, and it certainly is a culprit of the problem, but for me the real issue lies in the lack of grounded narrative through-lines, and the seemingly abrupt nature of his change thereafter. As a result, as the film advances, one drops any serious investment they may have, and is left gazing in amusement at the absurdity of the final act. Which rather neatly brings me to my positives...
WHAT I LIKED: Yes, as much as The Shining fails me as a horror as it goes on, the one place this thing really excels is as a black comedy. Now I realise that many horrors are somewhat appealing in this way, and in this case that's probably even more of an insult to lovers of this film than all I've said before, but frankly the film's lack of believe-ability in its own setting forced my hand. Thing is, as is often the case, I'm quite glad it did. Does that seriously mean it's a case of 'so bad it's good' then? No, it's definitely more of a case of 'so MAD it's good,' as the silly appeal of its last hour is at least backed up by a masterfully tense set-up that grounds everything which ever way you look at it, and yet more unsurprisingly expert technical direction from Kubrick. Indeed the sense of place, the initial confusion and the way the camera moves - as well as the manor in which all of that changes throughout - is frankly perfect, and I'm glad this film gets the recognition it deserves in that department.
VERDICT: Huge credit should be given to 'The Shining' for its technical achievements, but sadly it struggles to live up as a horror on its own. In fact, I prefer to look at it as a black comedy, for which I'm very, very sorry indeed.
½ April 14, 2017
The Shining is a gorgeous movie, the editing, the set, and all of the interpretations. Kubrick made The Shinning such a suggestive movie, I have my speculations, but surely there is more to this story than just a suspense film. However, even without any deeper meanings The Shinning is an amazing horror film, not because of the gore, but because of the eeriness that continues to build up throughout the film. This movie can send the viewer into the camera, feeling as if you're stuck in a horror movie yourself.

As for my interpretation of the film, I haven't quite pieced it together but here goes:
I do follow the "Jack is a gay pedophile" story-line to a point, I think the scene with the rotten old lady was Jack finally extinguishing the fact that he is straight. However, I think Jack lusts more after being a child and wanting to play with Danny, which is actually how some child molesters are. Sadly Jack knows he can't be a child because he's suppose to be the father figure which causes some obvious anger: "Have you ever thought about my responsibility to my employers!" (Jack is also constantly frustrated with his writing job). An example of this is in a scene where Danny and Wendy are playing outside you can see Jack watching them with envy. It's also shown Jack playing with a ball in the beginning that later the same ball rolls to Danny to "play". Also the "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" can directly correspond with Jack's need to play like a child. Additionally, I think the multiple scenes of Danny riding his toy bike around signifies Danny teasing Jack. Although Danny doesn't directly offer to play with his father, I think Danny does connect to his father in a way that Danny might fall into his father's pattern in the future. The "family pattern" theory is also one I enjoy, since we see at the end that "Jack" is shown in the hotel in 1921. I think there was a pattern of the "crazy axe father". Danny's weird "seeing ability" could be something Jack witnessed when he was young that made him the psycho he is, and sooner or later Danny was going to become that; it's possible that Danny could have unlocked the door for Jack. Finally, when Jack and Danny are in the Maze and Danny clears his past footsteps and get's out, it could signify Danny escaping the pattern of his father and potentially his grandfathers.
½ April 11, 2017
Classic re-runs... Not many films can mess with one's mind even on a repeated viewing.. They say that classics should remain untouched... But I would really be interested in a spin-off featuring Mr. Halloran... the only other character with the 'Shining'
April 10, 2017
Well-made horror film of demonic possession. The last part paled by comparison to the first half's uncanny built-up.
½ April 4, 2017
I'm not a fan of Stephen King but what Kubrick has done was strip away all the nonsense of the original novel and create a great film. However, despite my love for Kubrick, I still don't love it.

After a writer and his family agrees to watch over the "Overlook Hotel" for the winter, a haunting presence causes him to go slowly insane as the claustrophobia builds up around him.

However, it, admittedly, does many things right. This movie doesn't rely on cheesy jumpscares and unnecessary gore that many other modern horror movies rely too heavily on. The Shining builds up its scare factor with suspense and claustrophobia. This leads up to terrifying and well-executed domestic violence which is done phenomenal thanks to Jack Nicholson's outstanding performance and the great execution of it. His great acting contributes to several great scenes especially the iconic "Here's Johnny" one.

Kubrick uses camera movements and techniques, sound design, disturbing visuals, lighting, colors, foreshadowing, and attention to detail to make this a truly frightening horror film which contains so much suspense. Also, the score is one of the most eeriest movie scores ever written because it contains sharp, high-pitched sounds, and it is perfectly timed throughout the movie.

Sure, this movie did deviate from Stephen King's novel, but Kubrick expanded on the novel. It changed the things in the novel that didn't work that well and he changed them to make sure each aspect of it was as effective as possible.

However, my issue with it is with the character arc. The second Wendy mentions how Jack injured their son while he was drunk, my anticipation quickly faded into disappointment. At that point, I had a feeling where Jack's character was going to headed right at the start. By the end of the film, there was nothing surprising about how he ended up. I wished that his character would have started out softer.

While this film can be terrifying with its clever uses of suspense, claustrophobia, and frightening camera techniques, the character arc has always bugged me, and I don't like it as much as many other people do. I prefer character arcs to be unpredictable. I will always love Kubrick, but this movie was a miss for me.
½ April 1, 2017
The horror and suspense embodied in a movie.
½ March 29, 2017
Stanley Kubrick's The Shining is a great thriller masterpiece based on Stephen King's book. The Shining is a great movie with GREAT acting and a very scary and suspenseful story. Jack Nicholson is outstanding in his role, Shelley Duvall is phenomenal, and Danny Lloyd is Perfect. The directing in the film is remarkable by Stanley Kubrick, and the theme to this film is really well done. I give this movie an 96%
March 26, 2017
I don't care what anyone thinks about this movie. The Shining is definitely the best horror movie in history. Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of Stephen King's novel went to a slightly different way compared to the book and Stanley Kubrick has really improved his benefits of being a genius director for this film and Jack Nicholson really pulled it off as Jack Torrence (The main antagonist) in this film.
March 25, 2017
I can't watch this movie at night alone. I'd go crazy. Easily my favorite horror movie and one of my favorite movies of all time.
March 24, 2017
Best psychological horror movie ever made and my favorite horror film.