The Shining - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

January 18, 2017
December 2010
January 2017
½ January 17, 2017
A horror classic. Still creepy to this day.
½ January 10, 2017
The Shinning is a horror masterpiece. The atmosphere in this film is extremely creepy. Jack Nicholson performance as Jack Torrance may be the creepiest performance of all time. The score is chilling. Everyone definitely needs to check this one out.
January 7, 2017
This is the greatest horror movie of all time.
January 5, 2017
A masterpiece in film making.
½ January 2, 2017
some good directing and creepy scenes, but overall this movie was a bunch of madness that makes no sense. i read a bunch of theories and interpretations of this movie and none of them are satisfying. another example of a director confusing ambiguous with nonsense, ie 2001 space odyssey (1 viewing)
December 31, 2016
Humor mixed with horror and a dozen or so more cliches does not a very scary or even interesting movie make.
December 17, 2016
While a sure classic and one of my favorite horror movies of all time, I will have to thank Stanley Kubrick for making my twelve year old self terrified to go anywhere near a bathroom. Yep! Thanks, Stanley!
December 17, 2016
Crazy and deadly by the great touch of the legendary Kubrick, and a mythical young Nicholson
December 14, 2016
The story takes a while to truly develop and I was a bit confused at times with the supernatural goings-on but The Shining is still one of the best horror movies to date thanks to the stellar efforts of its director Stanley Kubrick and our main actor Jack Nicholson in one of his most memorable roles to date and the fact that this horror movie relies more on a creepy atmosphere and disturbing behaviour rather than excessive gore and cheap jumpscares that have infected most, if not all, of today's horror movies.
December 12, 2016
Though a fan of Kubrick, but not a fan of scary movies, I waited a long time to see The Shinning. I enjoyed the imagery but did feel it was reminiscent of David Lynch, which I later learned Kubrick was inspired by (Lynch's Eraserhead) prior to making The Shinning. I wish there was more of a distinct character change in Jack Nicholson's character. There didn't seem to be a huge arc from when he began. I read that King (whose novel the film is based on) was hugely disappointed by how Nicholson's character seemed to change based on the hotel's 'evil spirits' rather than because of the natural stress factors that would cause any person to insanity.
Perhaps Lynch's eerie style over-influenced Kubrick, and made him underestimate his own ability to show psychological impact and change (which we saw in A Clockwork Orange).

I agree with King that it would have been more interesting (or maybe cliche... not sure) to see the effects of 'cabin fever' (isolation) driving a relate-able character who was struggling with alcoholism to madness. However, despite originating from an interesting semi-autobiographical book by King, I enjoyed the departure, and Kubrick's manifestation of King's story. I tend to be one that prefers to the exploration of departing from original material (books), rather than merely being a visual copy of the original manuscript/book. The open interpretations and deviation from the original material make both versions (book and movie) independent, creative entities; two works of art from the same source, told in different ways. That to me is more interesting.

The film is definitely memorable; and in my opinion, the sound design and cinematography are at least 60 to 70 percent of what contributes to its impact. Nicholson is great as usual; and I did not mind the weird appearance of the female actress Shelley Duvall. In fact, the annoying naivete of her character made it more understandable for her to drive her husband mad. Her big eyes and narrow face made her expressions of terror contributing factors to the insanity inside the hotel. It reminded me of Edvard Munch's The Scream painting.

Overall, I found this film to me the one to convince me of Kubrick's brilliant versatility in covering a wide range of genres. His satire is prevalent in Dr. Strangelove, Barry Lyndon; but this film went deeper into psychological darkness; further than Clockwork Orange, and I enjoyed it.
½ December 11, 2016
Como gran amante de la literatura del gran Stephen King, debo decir que este film me decepciono como adaptación. Analizandola como película también me dejó bastante plano, esperaba mucho más de Kubrick verdaderamente creo que esta película es la más floja de su filmografía.
November 29, 2016
Stanley Kubrick's The Shining is a scary film that shows that Kubrick can do any genre and put as much effort in it as his other films. Jack Nicholson is having the time of his life and can act really terrifying in this film. Shelley Duvall does a pretty good job as a caring wife that gets really scares of what's gonna come of her which I don't understand why she got nominated for a Razzle award. The movie seems to understand about what's it like for a person to go to the transitions and stages from normal to downright insane. The writing by Stanley Kubrick and Diane Johnson is really good that has some memorable lines. There are a lot of creepy moments like the elevator blood scene or the twin girls. The characters are simple, but they get more memorable as the film goes on. Danny Lloyd is pretty great which is cool for a small child actor, and he plays two characters very well although some viewers might find him annoying. The direction is terrific in this that it was really well shotted when the kid drives around the hotel in a toy tricycle. The Shining is a memorable horror film that brings out the most unforgettable part in any horror film.
November 27, 2016
Does not do the book justice, I really couldn't enjoy the movie because of that
November 25, 2016
I'm not a fan of Stephen King but what Kubrick has done was strip away all the nonsense of the original novel and create a great film. However, despite my love for Kubrick, I still don't love it.

After a writer and his family agrees to watch over the "Overlook Hotel" for the winter, a haunting presence causes him to go slowly insane as the claustrophobia builds up around him.

However, it, admittedly, does many things right. This movie doesn't rely on cheesy jumpscares and unnecessary gore that many other modern horror movies rely too heavily on. The Shining builds up its scare factor with suspense and claustrophobia. This leads up to terrifying and well-executed domestic violence which is done phenomenal thanks to Jack Nicholson's outstanding performance and the great execution of it. His great acting contributes to several great scenes especially the iconic "Here's Johnny" one.

Kubrick uses camera movements and techniques, sound design, disturbing visuals, lighting, colors, foreshadowing, and attention to detail to make this a truly frightening horror film which contains so much suspense. Also, the score is one of the most eeriest movie scores ever written because it contains sharp, high-pitched sounds, and it is perfectly timed throughout the movie.

Sure, this movie did deviate from Stephen King's novel, but Kubrick expanded on the novel. It changed the things in the novel that didn't work that well and he changed them to make sure each aspect of it was as effective as possible.

However, my issue with it is with the character arc. The second Wendy mentions how Jack injured their son while he was drunk, my anticipation quickly faded into disappointment. At that point, I had a feeling where Jack's character was going to headed right at the start. By the end of the film, there was nothing surprising about how he ended up. I wished that his character would have started out softer.

While this film can be terrifying with its clever uses of suspense, claustrophobia, and frightening camera techniques, the character arc has always bugged me, and I don't like it as much as many other people do. I prefer character arcs to be unpredictable. I will always love Kubrick, but this movie was a miss for me.
November 19, 2016
Do I need to say anything.
November 18, 2016
A target for all horror films. Up there with the best of the best. Has not dated at all. Pleasure to watch in Blu Ray. Jack Nicholson what a performance. Ime going to bash your brains in ime going to bash them right the f##k in. What a line haha. 5 stars.
November 14, 2016
Simply amazing, the directing by Kubrick is impeccable, the script character building and thrilling, and the performances are so, so good, specially Nicholson as Jack Torrence. An all time horror/thriller classic, a truly gem.
November 12, 2016
The best I have ever seen. Kubrick presents the story of, as he once said: "the story of one man's family quietly going insane together.". Great acting and directing, amazing sets and a creepy tense atmosphere inside the Overlook Hotel made this my absolute favorite movie!
November 9, 2016
A classic. Here's Johnny!!! I like this movie.