Short Cuts Reviews

• Nov 13, 2020

The multiple intertwined narratives of nine Raymond Carver short stories and a poem are transposed to a Los Angeles setting. The structuring is absolutely watertight and the script gives huge opportunity for the amazing ensemble cast to revel in their roles, making for a compulsive viewing experience in which you hardly notice the 3 hours go by.

• Jul 10, 2020

Interesting collection of short stores that all connect to each other in some way or another. It sorta reminded me of that one episode of The Simpsons. Lots of big names here, a young Julianne Moore is probably the most memorable for me(especially in one certain scene, yowza yowza). One of the stories ended in a very bizarre way, and then it was all topped off with a big earthquake. Yeah.. oh and this was a 3 hour long movie as well.

• Jul 09, 2020

None of the 100 characters were developed enough for me to care much.

None of the 100 characters were developed enough for me to care much.

• Jul 23, 2019

Contundente film noventero de Robert Altman. When we were young.

Contundente film noventero de Robert Altman. When we were young.

• Sep 21, 2018

Shortcuts is a typical Altman film featuring all of his traits that have become so famous in time. Robert Altman was a master director and it is great that with the advent of the internet the new generation can know and watch films of his that they would never have gotten an opportunity otherwise. Short cuts, much like most of his films is an ensemble piece featuring top notch actors playing distinct characters in the city of Los Angeles. All are connected- some literally, all thematically. This is a great piece by a master and it inspired many filmmakers, among others PT Anderson. Go watch it now.

• Jun 29, 2018

Great cast and stories, a little campy.

Great cast and stories, a little campy.

• Jun 26, 2018

• May 09, 2018

I imagine that the experience someone would get from watching Avengers: Infinity War without seeing any of the prior MCU films is roughly the equivalent to what I felt when watching Short Cuts. They keep throwing more and more people at you, as if you know them or have some reason to care about them. They all have their little stories that sometimes intersect, and then it all comes to a big dramatic conclusion that is disappointing and lacks finality. The difference is that Short Cuts is not part of a cinematic universe, these are not pre-established characters that I could learn about by watching their own movies, and there won’t be a follow-up film to resolve the storylines. Instead it’s just a bunch of horrible people living their miserable lives, and we get the joy of tagging along for the ride. Most of these terrible stories focus on broken marriages, infidelity, and death. There might be three sympathetic characters in the entire movie, and I was actually interested in their story, but Short Cuts doesn’t have time to dwell too long on any one group of people. You can definitely see that Paul Thomas Anderson drew a ton of inspiration for Magnolia from this movie. I didn’t particularly love that movie either, but at least he handled it a little better, and knew when to focus in on a powerful moment. Short Cuts is a movie that does nothing for me, and the few snippets of time that it was interesting and impactful were drowned out by the deluge of new characters and frustrating stories.

• Sep 25, 2017

Very interesting to see this for the very first time, 25 years after it was made. All the nastalgia aside however, my favorite part of this film - is its obvious role in planting Magnolia's seed.

• Aug 27, 2017

Many different short stories about people in California. I enjoyed Lili Tomlin and Lili Taylor. But that's it. The rest of the cast's storyline's were dull and forgetable. Why Altman chose to cast some of these people is crazy. Some of them, for example Madeline Stowe, or Mathew Modine, are terrible actors.