Side Effects Reviews

• 3d ago

Gripping, filled with twist and turns - Brilliant psych thriller !!

Gripping, filled with twist and turns - Brilliant psych thriller !!

• Sep 01, 2019

I think would have worked better if roles were reversed with CZJ and what's his face. Also, the you know which scene could have been longer.

• Jun 17, 2019

Side Effects, chilly and noirish. Side Effects screws around in its own thriller architecture, toying with feints of structure and clever bits of misdirection, and otherwise playing the audience like a fiddle. Side Effects virtually demands a three-word review: Just see it.

• May 25, 2019

From Steven Sodenbergh, the director who would later bring us the chilling horror film Unsane (2018), Side Effects is very impressive. Twist, after twist, after twist, is what this movie is, which reminds me a lot of Hitchcock's works. Jude Law gives a very attaching performance, as well as Rooney Mara from the great The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo (2011). It's a movie that tackles themes such as mental health and scandal. Overall, this is a great thriller to see. Recommended!!

• Apr 07, 2019

This movie didn't turn out at all like I was expecting and has enough major twists and turns of plot to keep you guessing and on the edge of your seat. Jude Law plays Dr. Jonathan Banks with Rooney Mara his disturbed patient, seeking help for depression. She's prescribed a new drug and all seems well until some rather unexpected side effects begin to appear. It is difficult to say more without giving away some of the main points of the plot but the movie then takes several, abrupt changes of direction that make this far more than a run of the mill medical drama. I really enjoyed it, but you you do have to suspend your belief on several fronts and just swallow the plot as it is handed out by director Steven Soderbergh. I found it to be a punchy, pacy and entertaining movie where my sympathies and allegiances were switched and pulled as the story unfolded.

• Jan 07, 2019

Such a dated idea, so formulaic and my word, so, so dull. Is this really a Soderbergh film? This is dreadful, feels like a film students attempt at a Hitchcock idea. Cannot convey how uninteresting it is, the plot is laughable.

• Dec 24, 2018

Diretto con cura e grande attenzione, questo thriller stupisce con moderazione ed intrattiene senza offrire niente di nuovo. La storia ha sicuramente del pontenziale, risulta sufficientemente emozionante nonostante il colpo di scena finale sappia ancora di inverosimile. Non c'è un messaggio particolare che traspare, si tratta di una semplice storia ben raccontata e ben diretta che sul finale prende una piega che non sono riuscito ancora a metabolizzare.

• Oct 21, 2018

I hope you like surprises because Side Effects delivers them in heaps. Your head just might spin off its axis by the closing credits as director Steven Soderbergh takes you on a drug induced ride through the world of mood-altering meds. As far as the acting is concerned you needn't worry. I even have to give Channing Tatum credit. Initially, I suspected his role in the movie to be simply to draw in a female crowd, but the dude has real acting chops. However, the real show belongs to Jude Law, hands down. I used to wonder Law was famous. This movie reminded me. If you have taken any of the medications discussed in Side Effects you may find yourself cringing as you learn certain dangerous side effects. The little pill that stars as the main drug in the movie, however, is a fictional one named Ablixa. And one of the side effects? Yup, you guessed it...murder! However, something you may not guess it how this movie ends. And reaches a midpoint. And starts. It's a crazy train ride well worth a ticket onboard.

• Sep 04, 2018

to be questioned in here.. Side Effects Side Effects is a character driven drama about a metaphorical switch that helps the protagonist toss a newer personality out of her. The first act spends its time on setting the plot and characters where not even a dime changes, a redundant note from the makers. And after it starts riding things, the pace of the feature is surprisingly fast and equally competent for the viewers. Soderbergh easily manages to move around his multiple characters like puppets where he even manipulates the viewers from the tone or the theme of the feature. It is also way too busy and even congested at times and the audience wouldn't have minded few spaces to breathe in where editing is to be questioned in here. The investigation or bisection of the events too is eerily paced and seem to have skipping few beats, no matter how clearer and wider its characters' perspective is. The background score is mysteriously satisfying if not extraordinary with a decent cinematography and loosely edited. The theme is dark, brutal and raw with bold chances that it doesn't even flinch to grasp. Mara is in her A game proving once again why she is one of the best actress of her time and with a strong support from a cast like Law, Tatum and Zeta-Jones, the performance objective is safe. Burns' script is thoroughly entertaining but uneven and fortunately with the finesse of Soderbergh's execution it binds things safely. The inner politics weaved in its last act offers a cathartic release for the viewers. The mechanics of the investigation, the cunning perspective of the characters and Mara at the heart of it are the high points of the feature. Side Effects is a mature take on a smarter investigation and even though it isn't something you may remember after you leave the screen, you'll be hooked up till you are encountering it.

• Aug 03, 2018

A highly convoluted mystery with multiple twist some hows works with its excellent performances and intelligent direction.