Sideways - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sideways Reviews

December 10, 2017
Sideways is a fine film, a story of real people with all their foibles, and no special effects or Hollywood studio artifice. It wasn't made by a committee. Four fine performances are on display, with Giamatti doing some of the best self-loathing ever seen on screen; imagine a young Woody Allen playing it straight, with no tongue-in-cheek, no cynicism, nothing played for laughs - even though it is quite funny. This is a kind, gentle film, at times frustrating and annoying, but showing its deep humanity and shining a light on us all.
½ November 26, 2017
I was never bored. but my god were these characters unlikeable. just so damned pretentious. So much obnoxious wine talk. I just didnt get the redeemable quality of this story and these people.
½ October 21, 2017
Such a beautiful movie
October 14, 2017
Sometimes the audience score embarrasses me; this is one of those times. Great performances, great script, rare depth. If you haven't seen it, and you have enough wit to bear with character exploration at least on a rudimentary level, see it.
½ October 10, 2017
A great movie by A great director, with stellar performances, and A good script, I can't wait for Downsizing.
July 23, 2017
The first time I saw this film I was indifferent to it . But the next time I saw it I thought it was just brilliant, which goes to show watching a film for a second or third time is always worthwhile, even if you hate it more the second time. This film is really laid back, yet very funny. The two main guys complement each other really well although they are very different, and the same with the ladies. And it's these characters that give this film it's clout; 4 really good actors doing it really well.
July 21, 2017
96%? No way. Saw this a decade ago & liked it slightly more then than now. Overall, it's kind of a kitschy, campy not-so-attractive look at box wine drinkers in touristy, commercialized CA wine country. That's corked into a not-so-believable buddy road movie where one of the buddies has flattened into vinegar. Giamatti is a taste that's hard to acquire, especially his low voice mode. Church is sorta watchable, but it's all kinda goofy. Virginia's a vision, per the usual. Oh gives it a good go. But even for film buffs, this is not at all Fresh & not really worth seeing. 6-Buck-Chuck amusing at times. The understated music score is a good vintage.
½ July 12, 2017
This movie is so enjoyable to watch in so many ways. (4.5/5)
June 24, 2017
A great film. Humourous and emotional at the same time with an excellent performance from Thomas Haden Church, an actor who prior to this film, I thought was a washed up has been. I just didn't like being faced with a full frontal view of an overweight man's johnson towards the end.
June 20, 2017
This was too slow and with too few plot points to keep me interested. I really couldn't believe the characters or their interactions. The scenes which should have been funny were only mildly amusing. GGWC. 1001
June 1, 2017
A very unique and interesting buddy movie presented by Alexander Payne. It was slower that I'd hoped at times but the story was excellent for the majority
May 7, 2017
It's slight but if you're patient with it, it's An honest (if overlong) character film with funny and witty dialogue and a strong emotional core.
½ April 23, 2017
Years after watching this film like wine does, it resonates more as I get older. The screen play, dialogue and performances are nothing short of a home run. It's not ground breaking or deeply life changing however it's intelligent and eloquently woven together. It's undertone and meaning from conversations about wine is honest and reflects the characters deeper truths about themselves but more importantly can resonate similar themes with the audience.
March 5, 2017
Sideway's mixture of comedy, drama, and romance is wholly unpredictable and profound.
½ February 26, 2017
Paul Giamatti is a real life Charlie Brown. Witty, true-to-life semi-romantic comedy.
February 6, 2017
A must watch for wine lovers and fans of Giamatti. The art of film-making doesn't get much better than this.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 24, 2016
A unique character study of a complex and troubled person working through past grievances from a failed marriage. The theme throughout the film is wine and takes place in the Napa Valley region. Single adults and new age wine aficionados will enjoy this film as it deals with cabs, merlots, zinfandels, etc. in almost every dialogue. Better suited to the novice wine up-and-comer though as they can use this film as a mirror to how they sound to other people.

Well acted and carried by Paul Giamatti, the film literally depicts 4 people moving "sideways" in their lives, much to their chagrin. This film can also find an audience with the older single adult crowd, who may relate to the challenged of finding a suitable life partner.
½ December 11, 2016
Paul Giammatti is wonderful in this film. The Ned & Stacy guy is also well cast as the jerk. A nice comeuppance morality tale.
Never was able to work out where the name comes from...no doubt a viticulture reference I don't get...
November 25, 2016
Very smart smart and quirky down to earth and original. This movie had me from start to finish and yet another great performance from Paul Giovanni.