Sideways Reviews

• Oct 17, 2019

phenomenal .. soooo funny ... absolutely loved it

phenomenal .. soooo funny ... absolutely loved it

• Oct 13, 2019

A heavy, melancholic road trip lightened up by some well-timed humour and great performances. Sideways deftly captures the anxieties of loss, love, hope and life, and is a fun ride if you're up for it.

• Sep 22, 2019

Clever analogies between wine and life. Fantastic acting performance.

Clever analogies between wine and life. Fantastic acting performance.

• Sep 05, 2019

The most smart romantic comedy/drama I've ever seen. Paul Giamatti really embodies the depressive attached ex, and Virginia Madsen gets an extraordinary characterization of 30/40s divorced lonely mature woman. An interesting match between types of wine and human personalities. A reflection about human understanding. Should have won the Oscar. Guess Clint Eastwood shouldnmt have Best movie award as a present.

• Aug 14, 2019

Sideways is funny, well made, well acted, and well written. Paul Giamatti knows how to give a good laugh.

• Aug 06, 2019

My familiarity with writer/director Alexander Payne came from the unfortunate Downsizing (2016) which rubbed me the wrong way and seemed misguided. I was surprised that this hilarious but depressing film came from him then and I found myself laughing out loud at the humor in the film. I was glad that a film like this, which could have easily been forgotten, received so much recognition and continues to be loved. While I don't think that this film should have won Best Picture over Million Dollar Baby (2004) I think it absolutely earned it's nomination and despite my love of Before Sunset (2004) I would support it's win for the Best Adapted Screenplay Academy Award. Depressed wannabe author and wine aficionado Miles Raymond, Paul Giamatti, is still hung up on his ex-wife despite them being divorced and struggles to connect to women. He is taking his longtime friend, washed up soap opera actor Jack Cole, Thomas Haden Church, on a week long trip to wine country in California before Cole gets married. When they reach wine country they both begin relationships with local women despite Cole being engaged and Raymond not ready to begin a real relationship. Maya, Virginia Madsen, pursues Raymond even though he treats her poorly while the carefree Stephanie, Sandra Oh, comes to believe that Cole will take care of her and her daughter. The situation becomes complicated when Cole's lie is revealed and the two men have to face their futures. The film very quickly sets itself up as a dark comedy as we witness our protagonist steal money from his kind mother while she chats with his best friend downstairs. Fortunately the film never strays too far into being a drama as while we understand that the main character is a tortured man with a lot of vices we also get hilarious sequences of him having to steal a watch from the house of his friend's married one night stand. The balance here is perfect as we feel moved at the end of the film but have also had an enjoyable time watching two men who seemingly shouldn't be friends stumble their way through some insane misadventures driven by their pride and their libidos. The specificity of the dialogue helps to endear us to these characters and want to see them succeed despite their flaws. These two men are both reminiscent of people you have met in real life as Raymond has the potential to be smart and charming but is too self-absorbed and depressed to let these qualities shine through. Equally, Cole is charming and happy with who he is but also too easily gives in to his desires and doesn't seem to be looking out for his future even though he is middle aged. Together these two make an odd pair but we start to understand why they are bound together with all of their flaws and their minor virtues. In their interactions with the women who fall for them we also see the desperation of dating in middle age with too much knowledge to fall in love easily but the desire to let go of your inhibitions. There are times when the screenplay shifts into being an all out comedy but the more dramatic moments allow the film to earn this zaniness. The performances in the movie are hugely memorable as the four leads all seem perfectly cast in their roles and you can't really see anybody else embodying these figures as well as they do. Madsen really stood out to me as the empathetic Maya as she gives a restrained, likable performance as the somewhat improbable love interest but reveals surprising emotional depths. When she essentially throws herself at Giamatti and he very quickly tries to distance himself from her the camera rests on her face for a few seconds after this rejection and we see a mixture of sadness, disbelief and resignation on her face that is heartbreaking. Giamatti and Church have a wonderful rapport that really carries the film as they both completely surrender to the roles they play and are capable of making us laugh and ponder serious questions about the world. Even Oh, in a small role, gives us so much as the independent woman who thinks she has a found a man she can settle down with and is then betrayed. Her anger is that of a mature woman who has seemingly experienced this sort of betrayal several times before and that only serves to make us feel more sorry for her. This is a absolutely a film to watch as it is a comedy with smarts that satisfies the need for emotional drama and observational comedy.

• Aug 03, 2019

Giamatti is brilliant.

Giamatti is brilliant.

• Jun 23, 2019

A wonderful, endearing movie--holds up well. Great acting by Paul Giamatti! The characters are flawed but so human. Virginia Madsen is luminous!

• Jun 19, 2019

Charming. I feel like this movie is kind of geared more towards older people who have been married or have been through divorce or some sort of mid life crisis or they feel inadequate in life. That dinner scene with the four of them was cinematic beauty. It's almost painful to watch Paul Giamatti sometimes in movies. Not because he's terrible but because he's so good at being cringe and just awkward. That was pretty sad how he spent his special moment when he opened that 1961 bottle of wine. Funny movie throughout most of it but there's definitely this feeling like there's no hope for the meek, especially with the ending. But it was a good road trip movie for sure. I really liked it even though I can't really relate to it as much.