Silent House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silent House Reviews

½ October 16, 2016
The directing is clever. Olsen's acting is solid. The writing, however, is pretty banal and uninspired.
October 12, 2016
creepy. and yes i liked the ending.
May 13, 2016
Watch this movie because of Elizabeth Olsen, who is my ultimate crush. And she did not fail me. Lizzie truly gave an amazing performance in this movie. She literally carried this movie on her shoulder.
Sadly, the movie itself didn't live to what it should have been.
The cinematography was terrible. The angles they chose to shoot the movie were dreadful. The sound effects editing was horrendous.
And most importantly, this movie had no tension whatsoever, except for the third act.
April 11, 2016
Bordering on the edge between psychological examination and haunted house frightfest, Silent House delivers a viscerally skin-crawling exercise in slow-building anxiety that promises a wonderful future ahead for star Elizabeth Olsen.
½ April 10, 2016
not what i expected but ok
March 27, 2016
I honestly think this was a totally underrated film. It's really something different from a typical horror flick considering the while movie is one continuous shot. Elizabeth Olsen is the main attraction for this project and proves she's becoming the actress her sisters never were. It also builds its scares at a good pace which will keep audience's interested. I'm definitely looking forward to the next project from Chris Kentis and Laura Lau
½ February 10, 2016
Very poor attempt into the horror genre which quite frankly isn't worth your time
January 30, 2016
What an absolute mess. Utter snooze fest.
January 15, 2016
Ok after a second viewing I still am blown away. Its different than other horror movies, cause its basically one long scene. I dont know why there is more buzz about this and such a low rating. Some may find it boring cause its one hour and a half long scene but there is lots of suspense and a few jumps but what makes it is an ending I have still yet to figure out
½ December 21, 2015
Silent House frustrated the hell out of me. For the first 20 or so minutes, I was really into this movie. Filmed in 10 minute segments, it's edited together to appear as one long continuous shot, and I think it pulls it off perfectly without ever coming across as forced or gimmicky. From the beginning, Silent House's rich aesthetic and unique camerawork was so captivating and drew me in immediately. got kinda dull and repetitive. There is genuine tension throughout the movie, but entire sequences of silent walking leading to loud bangs can only be effective so many times. Also, the twist ending killed this movie for me. In the final act, the film goes all 'High Tension' on us. I HATE when horror movies do this twist; it makes no sense (especially in this context) and it's super unoriginal. The was a point where the film gave us just enough to figure out the twist, and honestly if it had stopped there it would've been a lot stronger. But the film then proceeds to unpack the hell out of it and drive the same info into the audiences head by saying the same thing over and over. The final act really cheapened the rest of the movie for me. Also, to say the acting in Silent House is uneven would be an understatement. Despite a weak script, Elizabeth Olsen delivers such a powerful and affecting performance, and the film would be terrible without her devotion and talent. Unfortunately, the two male actors in this movie are so so bad; made worse in comparison to Olsen, as well as the film's terrible dialogue and excessive exposition. With truly innovative camerawork and an incredible lead performance, Silent House had a lot of potential to transcend the typical genre fare. Unfortunately, this potential was destroyed by a cringeworthy supporting cast, a repetitive formula and a cheesy final act.
November 22, 2015
I think this film should have been called 70 minutes of doing absolutely nothing. Seriously, 70 minutes or so of complete uselessness that was just dumb and boring. I've said many times when I think films are dragging out. But damn! This one really dragged out. All of it just to lead to a psychological conclusion. It's not graphic in the sense of death, but I guess with all the blood everywhere, it was considered graphic.

This film could have easily had more potential. The film twists and turns your mind inside out, you don't end up understanding what actually happened and what didn't or what was real and what was fake. The whole backstory with an old house having squatters didn't seem to do anything for the storyline besides draw a massive distraction. There is like no basement in the world that looks like that, it might as am have been a labyrinth.
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
Silent House is a film I want to rate higher on account of the lead performance and interesting directing. However, it lacks substance and suspense. The film is too cerebral and telegraphs the ending so the tension is gone too early. Still, Silent House is different and worth a view.
September 4, 2015
While this movie is very interesting on a technical side and showing ambition it ultimately shows why a movie needs story elements, structure, and character build up. How are we suppose to care about her when we get nothing? No back story, no desires, no nothing. And it's a damn shame because I'm really liking Elizabeth Olsen. She showed more ability in Martha Marcy May Marlene then her sisters have done in their entire careers combined. But how are we suppose to take anything from her when the camera is behind her and we rarely see her face which is what is supposed to be selling the story and the terror? On to my next point by taking away editing you lose one of a films biggest creative tools. Performances can be improved, pacing fixed, and suspense built. Just look at James Wan's films for example. Now everything is drawn out and turned mundane. What would have taken a second to transport the character from upstairs to outside now just drags. Most of this movie could have been cut out and you would have gotten an interesting short film. But it is what it is and that's what you grade something on. What it is, not what it could have been.
½ August 2, 2015
Elizabeth Olsen is Best.
July 27, 2015
After seeing bad reviews, I did not expect much and I was pleasantly surprise. Very intense in suspense and amazing performance from the main actress. Twists and turns I did not expect. If you are into psychological horror, this is for
½ July 21, 2015
Mysterious for the most part, using a modern formula for producing a mainstream horror movie. Liz Olsen is not bad in her first role, although the majority of her part is screaming and facial expressions. The back story to the events is eventually explained, but takes a long time to get there.
July 20, 2015
Elizabeth Olsen is extremely likeable, no matter the role. So, put her in a horror film, and things start going in the right direction. Add in a unique gimmick, of sorts, with a "continuous shot", and you're still heading in the right direction. However, somewhere in the middle of it all, the film derails, and only gets more tedious right up to the very end. Silent House follows a girl who is cleaning out her childhood home with her dad and uncle, until she hears a noise upstairs. The whole idea of this film is that is was shot in one, continuous take. To the eagle eyed viewer, the tricks with which the filmmakers utilize a few cuts will stand out, but that isn't completely damning. The film still manages some incredibly long cuts, which is extremely difficult. Story wise, this is a home invasion thriller with a twist. And unfortunately, that twist is a little nonsensical in the larger scope of things. The film isn't afraid to tackle tough subjects, it just does so clumsily. Speaking of clumsily, we have the cast. The film consists of just four people, and Elizabeth Olsen is the only standout, but to avoid spoilers, I'll stop there. By the time the credits roll, Silent House is a slightly above average thriller/horror film. It just had the potential to be so much more.
½ June 3, 2015
Though the single take cinematography is compelling and effective and lead Elizabeth Olsen does a solid job, Silent house takes few opportunities to bring effective frights, as well as being quite confusing and disappointing plot wise.
½ May 21, 2015
I wanted to like this because Elizabeth Olson is really good in it, but the film is just so mediocre.
May 18, 2015
Silent House is an all right remake that wasn't as interesting as the trailers made it out to be. I'll give it to the movie that it's trying to be an effective horror film because the way it's trying to be in one shot is really interesting. Elizabeth Olson is great in it and tries to make it as interesting as it can. It doesn't go for gores and goes for the suspense which is very effective and almost all of the scares did give me a jolt. But the thing is about it, is that that's all it has got. The characters are all right but not memorable, and it kind of drags on with it. The build up is great, but when it gets to the reveal part, the pay off is disappointing at best. Some parts didn't made sense, and there were some moments that the main character could've ran to the road and find help but didn't. Silent House could've been better, but it just ended up being disappointing.