Silent House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silent House Reviews

September 3, 2017
Elizabeth Olsen was really good, and it kept me interested
August 5, 2017
This speaks to me. The camera immerses you in the world of perception that you really do live in during a dissociative episode.

The shaky plot and incongruous details are honestly kind of a perfect high C. When you're in a disaster, you don't always know how you got this or that cut, your mind focuses in on the main problems of suvival so intensely that you literally dont percieve minor details. Nor do the events make any sense- at all. Not until much much later.

Silent House doesn't tell you a story about horrorible events- it effectively lives you through those events in the way you would perceive them if they were actually happening.

And the ending is. Well.
February 21, 2017
Silent House combines a psychological analysis with one woman's paranoia about confinement, and uses a painful trauma to fuel a hauntingly suspenseful fright-fest whose nightmarish chill lingers long after the beautiful closing shot -- and also showcases a convincing and understated performance from star Elizabeth Olsen.
February 2, 2017
This is a really strange sort of film. It's a horror film that comes so damn close to being perfect, but then has one flaw that severely knocks it down. For some people this will ruin the entire experience. For me, it didn't ruin it, but it did make me question it overall and really left a bad taste in my mouth in the end. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
The story sees a young woman helping fix up her family's old house only to be confronted by intruders. The gimmick to an otherwise standard home invasion film is that it appears to all be one continuous shot delivered in real time. Obviously there was editing trickery involved in conveying this, but the effect still works. It really creates a tense environment, because we are experiencing the events as if we were this woman. The tension slowly builds, and we're stuck in this house with her going through things at the same pace as her. There's no breaks and no cuts to alleviate the tension, we're right there with her hiding under that bed. For the first 3/4s of this movie I was really into it, and ready to call it a modern horror masterpiece...then the twist happens.
Without getting into spoilers, I'll just say that the twist reveals that things maybe aren't quite what they seemed. The problem with it though is that it creates a crater sized plot-hole that destroys any sense of tension that came before it. Simply put, it just doesn't make any godamn sense, and it sucks away any sense of tension the movie had going for it. I kind of see what they were trying to do with the twist, but it just didn't work. I don't think the movie even needed a twist. If it had just been a-holes who want to break in, that would have been enough. Maybe not a masterpiece, but the film would have at least worked all the way through.
Unlike a lot of people, I'm not willing to completely write off this movie just because I hated the ending. The finale was atrocious, but I can't deny that getting there was still a great ride, and the single-take gimmick is really unique and effective. I don't know how much I can recommend the movie, especially if you're the type to be turned off by an illogical twist. Still, it's a horror movie with a unique style, and that much I respect it for.
November 23, 2016
Worst third act in a film I've seen in a while. This gets two stars for its promising setup and Elizabeth Olsen's convincing performance.
½ October 16, 2016
The directing is clever. Olsen's acting is solid. The writing, however, is pretty banal and uninspired.
October 12, 2016
creepy. and yes i liked the ending.
May 13, 2016
3/5*
Watch this movie because of Elizabeth Olsen, who is my ultimate crush. And she did not fail me. Lizzie truly gave an amazing performance in this movie. She literally carried this movie on her shoulder.
Sadly, the movie itself didn't live to what it should have been.
The cinematography was terrible. The angles they chose to shoot the movie were dreadful. The sound effects editing was horrendous.
And most importantly, this movie had no tension whatsoever, except for the third act.
April 11, 2016
Bordering on the edge between psychological examination and haunted house frightfest, Silent House delivers a viscerally skin-crawling exercise in slow-building anxiety that promises a wonderful future ahead for star Elizabeth Olsen.
½ April 10, 2016
not what i expected but ok
March 27, 2016
I honestly think this was a totally underrated film. It's really something different from a typical horror flick considering the while movie is one continuous shot. Elizabeth Olsen is the main attraction for this project and proves she's becoming the actress her sisters never were. It also builds its scares at a good pace which will keep audience's interested. I'm definitely looking forward to the next project from Chris Kentis and Laura Lau
½ February 10, 2016
Very poor attempt into the horror genre which quite frankly isn't worth your time
January 30, 2016
What an absolute mess. Utter snooze fest.
January 15, 2016
Ok after a second viewing I still am blown away. Its different than other horror movies, cause its basically one long scene. I dont know why there is more buzz about this and such a low rating. Some may find it boring cause its one hour and a half long scene but there is lots of suspense and a few jumps but what makes it is an ending I have still yet to figure out
½ December 21, 2015
Silent House frustrated the hell out of me. For the first 20 or so minutes, I was really into this movie. Filmed in 10 minute segments, it's edited together to appear as one long continuous shot, and I think it pulls it off perfectly without ever coming across as forced or gimmicky. From the beginning, Silent House's rich aesthetic and unique camerawork was so captivating and drew me in immediately. Then...it got kinda dull and repetitive. There is genuine tension throughout the movie, but entire sequences of silent walking leading to loud bangs can only be effective so many times. Also, the twist ending killed this movie for me. In the final act, the film goes all 'High Tension' on us. I HATE when horror movies do this twist; it makes no sense (especially in this context) and it's super unoriginal. The was a point where the film gave us just enough to figure out the twist, and honestly if it had stopped there it would've been a lot stronger. But the film then proceeds to unpack the hell out of it and drive the same info into the audiences head by saying the same thing over and over. The final act really cheapened the rest of the movie for me. Also, to say the acting in Silent House is uneven would be an understatement. Despite a weak script, Elizabeth Olsen delivers such a powerful and affecting performance, and the film would be terrible without her devotion and talent. Unfortunately, the two male actors in this movie are so so bad; made worse in comparison to Olsen, as well as the film's terrible dialogue and excessive exposition. With truly innovative camerawork and an incredible lead performance, Silent House had a lot of potential to transcend the typical genre fare. Unfortunately, this potential was destroyed by a cringeworthy supporting cast, a repetitive formula and a cheesy final act.
November 22, 2015
I think this film should have been called 70 minutes of doing absolutely nothing. Seriously, 70 minutes or so of complete uselessness that was just dumb and boring. I've said many times when I think films are dragging out. But damn! This one really dragged out. All of it just to lead to a psychological conclusion. It's not graphic in the sense of death, but I guess with all the blood everywhere, it was considered graphic.

This film could have easily had more potential. The film twists and turns your mind inside out, you don't end up understanding what actually happened and what didn't or what was real and what was fake. The whole backstory with an old house having squatters didn't seem to do anything for the storyline besides draw a massive distraction. There is like no basement in the world that looks like that, it might as am have been a labyrinth.
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
Silent House is a film I want to rate higher on account of the lead performance and interesting directing. However, it lacks substance and suspense. The film is too cerebral and telegraphs the ending so the tension is gone too early. Still, Silent House is different and worth a view.
September 4, 2015
While this movie is very interesting on a technical side and showing ambition it ultimately shows why a movie needs story elements, structure, and character build up. How are we suppose to care about her when we get nothing? No back story, no desires, no nothing. And it's a damn shame because I'm really liking Elizabeth Olsen. She showed more ability in Martha Marcy May Marlene then her sisters have done in their entire careers combined. But how are we suppose to take anything from her when the camera is behind her and we rarely see her face which is what is supposed to be selling the story and the terror? On to my next point by taking away editing you lose one of a films biggest creative tools. Performances can be improved, pacing fixed, and suspense built. Just look at James Wan's films for example. Now everything is drawn out and turned mundane. What would have taken a second to transport the character from upstairs to outside now just drags. Most of this movie could have been cut out and you would have gotten an interesting short film. But it is what it is and that's what you grade something on. What it is, not what it could have been.
½ August 2, 2015
Elizabeth Olsen is Best.
July 27, 2015
After seeing bad reviews, I did not expect much and I was pleasantly surprise. Very intense in suspense and amazing performance from the main actress. Twists and turns I did not expect. If you are into psychological horror, this is for
you.