Sin City - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sin City Reviews

March 30, 2018
****
Wow, what a visually stunning spectacle. The amount of effort and intricacy that has gone into the style alone is quite awe-inspiring; with its ingenious use of colours to show characteristics or themes about characters adding a great deal to the excellent tone the film sets for itself. All the performances are wonderful too, and the lead trio of Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke and Clive Owen outdo themselves, and my expectations, in their respective segments. As this is a movie of three tales, it only makes sense to judge each one of them separately. 'That Yellow Bastard' was my favourite by quite some stretch. Not only was Willis excellent, but it has the most heartening and emotionally resonant story; and the way it both started and ended the movie was rather poignant also. Next, Rourke's 'The Hard Goodbye'. This was probably the most intriguing of the three stories, and I thoroughly enjoyed it; even though I think it went on a little too long. Finally, and the weakest of the three in my opinion - 'The Big Fat Kill'. Clive Owen is great, and a standout in the whole film, but this particular storyline just felt a little...empty. It had some great moments, but it dragged at times and by the end of it I was no more enlightened than I was at the start. All in all though, 'Sin City' is one helluva ambitious project, and both Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller must be commended for pulling off what on paper seemed almost an impossible task - creating, in effect, a live action animation.
January 28, 2018
This movie is so good that even Bruce Willis can't ruin it for me.
½ January 21, 2018
Great fantastic action packed movie starring Bruce Willis, Jessica alba, and Rosario Dawson. I had a blast with this movie and this movie would be great as a Friday night movie with friends. I will watch this movie again and the sequel, it better be good. Yes, this movie is long but the action saves it.
November 17, 2017
This film is a masterpiece comic book movie. Sin city is such a good with a black & white touch and very artistic plus who doesn't love a good noir stories with action and thrills. Still a good film an oldie but a goodie. Well done Robert Rodriguez and frank Miller you guys made a very artistic noir comic book film a masterpiece.
November 8, 2017
With stunningly unique visuals, great action, and strong performances, Sin City is let down a little by the overuse of narration, although that is forgivable. Mickey Rourke delivers a fantastic performance as Marv, and Bruce Willis, Clive Owen, and Benicio Del Toro are great as well. The black and white visuals with bits of color scattered throughout is intriguing and creative, and the action is brutal and fun.
October 27, 2017
Looks really good with meaningless violence!
½ October 22, 2017
Visually appealing, and cartoonishly violent. Sin City proves to be a fun, darkly engrossing time, though a dull third act drags it down from being something truly spectacular.

3.75/5 stars
½ September 20, 2017
Never seen anything quite like this, a graphic novel comes to life right before your eyes - and what a terrific cast...
½ September 2, 2017
Sin City proves that sometimes style can become substance and when it does, it makes for an incredibly entertaining movie.
September 1, 2017
One of my personal favorites.
½ August 26, 2017
Only Rodriguez, the man behind other violent action flicks like Desperado (1995), or Machete (2010), with the help of Frank Miller, is capable of making a movie like this. I has all the elements of his type of stuff; Naked hookers carying big ass guns, loads of action and wacky characters. And it's an entertaining film with a shit load of style, I love how certain things are in color, even though it's a black and white film. Allthough, it looks sometimes cartoonish, some of the special effects too. This movie reminds me a lot of Tarantino's fabulous Pulp Fiction (1994), it has the same idea of an anthology crime film where the different stories interlock. Anyways, good movie and recommended !!
½ August 14, 2017
Very slick stylish film, great visuals. Kind of Pulp fiction meets comic book.
July 29, 2017
A pretty cool movie, but I think this is a great example of style over substance because most of this movie is pretty dumb, but there are good performances and some cool visuals so it's a good time and a good movie.
½ July 23, 2017
excellent film with a weird comic book feel. loving the colour picking.
July 23, 2017
Sin City is so edgy it's good
½ July 3, 2017
saw it in bits n pieces, kept switching channels on flight.
June 26, 2017
Excellent cast and great adaptation from a comic to film. The three stories are so interesting and great!
June 24, 2017
one of my original favorites along with requiem for a dream. it is just my kind of movie. I loved literally everything about it. every scene, every character, every line, every kill, the music, the darkness, the general tone, the black and white with selective colors, the comic bookiness, the ridiculousness, the funny parts, and the overall general super zalama badassness that was oozing out of this movie. jam-packed with beautiful shots that look like they jumped straight out of a comic. an amazing cast with great performances all around. so unique and different. i love it (about 9 viewings)
June 8, 2017
I loved this film so much, that when it finished, me and my mate Rach considered staying in there and watching it a second time :-)
½ June 5, 2017
Four different stories that all come together to create one fantastic film. Must see.