Sin City - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sin City Reviews

½ September 24, 2016
In what is considered by many to be his magnum opus (an assertion of which I wholeheartedly agree), Robert Rodriguez has given us one of the best comic book movies to date. Never before have I witnessed such a beautifully rendered visual style on screen. The sharp black and white look with some striking colors throughout makes this a movie that, as clichéd as it sounds, feels like watching the pages of Frank Miller's graphic novel come to life. But even taking away that style, the movie still works for its extremely memorable characters and simple but engaging stories. Rodriguez has employed some of the best actors in the business with each bringing their A-game regardless of the size of their role. My personal favorite is Elijah Wood as the homicidal killer Kevin who manages to be extremely bone-chilling without saying a single word and with only about five minutes of screentime. Each story is well written (which of course owes much of that to Miller's original writing) and clear cut with solid characters and motivations. They work individually and as part of the larger narrative. In my humble opinion, That Yellow Bastard is the best (and most disturbing) and The Long Goodbye is the weakest (mainly for a few minor lingering plot points). But perhaps most importantly, Sin City is a film that radiates confidence. By confidence I mean that it's so sure of itself in its look, storytelling, performances, and enthusiasm that it gives the film that extra special element that is lacking in many other similar products. What could've been all style and no substance manages to be a happy medium of both. The end result is a special movie that it infinitely enticing. Yes, this is a cool movie and I say that as a fact.
September 21, 2016
Robert Rodriguez's "Pulp Fiction."
September 18, 2016
Es una película muy interesante, muy diferente a las demás, me gusta mucho como es en blanco y negro pero usan colores para algunas cosas, los personajes son muy interesantes al igual que las historias, pero a veces habían cosas que no tenias sentido.
September 6, 2016
A stylized action drama that feels like a Tarantino film, because his like-minded buddy Robert Rodriguez is the one who brings the graphic novel to the silver screen. An incredibly impressive cast for this urban, but somewhat mythic world. Some of the cast members were unrecognizable in their roles, but the style of the film is very recognizable indeed. An entertaining blood bath that carries some flare making it aesthetically pleasing sometimes, but not really that memorable or something I'd want to watch again.
August 31, 2016
This was a really awesome movie, loaded with star power, and based off a Frank Miller comic. This film did everything right, Willis, Rourke, and Owen all made great heroes, with Mickey Rourke's character perhaps being one of the most badass I have seen ever on screen. A great story paired with great special effects like never seen before helps make Sin City one of my all time favorites.
½ August 27, 2016
Though it's visually outstanding and nicely acted and directed, the story itself feels all over the place and nowhere at the same time.
½ August 26, 2016
Gorgeous. Boring as hell.
August 13, 2016
Groundbreaking presentation, amazing visuals.
August 8, 2016
Best movie of 2005. You will never get such a great cast like this again.
July 14, 2016
Finally a graphic novel was taken to the screen correctly, respecting the essence and spirit of the story and the characters, not like other crude custom, simplistic and predictable adaptations such as Hellboy or Rocketeer, who did not bother to do justice to the original material , however this has been most respectful of the world created by Frank Miller, I wish all Hollywood follow this example.
½ July 4, 2016
A strikingly stylish and nonstop thrill ride of neo-noir, "Sin City" is brutally good.
July 2, 2016
A whimsically ludicrous treat.
½ June 29, 2016
Another film I was never really bothered about upon release mostly due to the fact it was in black and white (Sort of) And it was short stories, 9 years later I decide to watch it and yet again i kick myself for waiting so long, There are 3 stories and a intro and a outro and they all were brilliant and gripping I did prefer the yellow bastard the most maybe because of Bruce Willis, All stories were not connected but crossed paths in a way, Some great effects for the kills and action, Brilliantly acted and nothing like you have seen before I can guarantee that, Don't make the mistake of waiting so long to see it like I did.
June 28, 2016
The film has its flaws, but Rodriguez and Miller execute this film so well that audiences and viewers are able look past things like bad casting choices and purposeless violence. Note that a lot of the casting choices are great, most of them, but some actors (Alexis Bledel, Josh Hartnett, Michael Clarke Duncan) just didn't fit the film. As for the violence, towards the end of the film, Rodriguez and Miller don't show the restraint they demonstrated at the beginning of the film, which may or may not be intentional; however, it's puzzling, which at times interrupts the audience and viewers grassy of the fluidity of the film's artistic style. The film is excellent, though. Minus those flaws, the film is spot on.
½ June 20, 2016
This movie got the noir settings and the comic adaptation really well done.
It really felt as a straight up comic in movement, the movie is a really dark and grim world but the characters on it are really interesting to watch, the mood and the way it flow are as good as the graphic novel, which if you had read you'll see are pretty much the same but on movement, which at the time, it was a great thing to see on screen.
This movie is violent and intense but good overall.
½ May 29, 2016
If you can accept, or even love, the nostalgia for noir, you'll at least like this picture. If you can't stand the Rodriguez-ness of it, you won't like it at all. For most of us, this film opens with a rough first act of unbearably stale material that evens out in the remaining two acts for a riveting if sometimes less than sophisticated experience.
½ May 28, 2016
Completely unique by smashing several genres together. Sin City is a great adaptation of Frank Miller's graphic novel with over-the-top action and interesting story. Though sometimes cheesy, the film delivers genuine entertainment.
May 28, 2016
It is not my favorite kind of movie, but it was an okay one. At some moments, while watching it, I felt like I was reading the graphic novel.
May 27, 2016
I randomly picked Sin City to watch on Netflix with my gf one evening and I must say that I absolutely loved it! I'm watching part 2 this evening!
½ May 25, 2016
With stunning visuals, and over-the-top violence, Sin City takes Frank Miller's beloved comic from page to screen.