Sinister Reviews

• Aug 09, 2019

this movie was great, I think ethan Hawke is overrated, but James Ransone carries interjecting aw shucks comedic relief in between tenseness and anxiety. But the score is I think what really adds that special sinister something to Sinister.

• Jul 16, 2019

a film that opens with the splendid and stupid idea of the protagonist to go and live in a house where there has been a murder, from here starts a beautiful and scary film and the family of the protagonists enters a strip of murders where they are themselves the victims

• Jul 15, 2019

A horror movie that somehow turns into a found footage movie. Its does manage t0 get you to care about the characters in it.

• Jul 03, 2019

It had the potential to be a great horror movie but cheap scares, uninteresting characters and an occasionally intriguing plot held it back.

• Jun 29, 2019

Sinister blends the psychological horror perspective and good acting to bring you a great horror flick. This film shows the protagonist being Ethan Hawke as a writer determined to make a another best-seller by writing about seemingly unconnected murders of families in various locations throughout the decades and the usage of cliches and generic stylistic choices are present but they are used in an appropriate way with his particular modern horror film. The villain is the boogeyman who consumes the souls of the children in order ti have them murder their own family and videotape it in super 8 film format and the emphasis is placed on Ethan Hawk's character discovering all of this as the film reaches its climax. The physical/mental toll of the horrid impacting the character is what makes this a good horror film for me. The seemingly unconnected murders are discovered to be patterns of the boogeyman's presence from one house to another through time and the film reel is his gateway to his "portal" where he takes kids once they commit the acts. The acting of the kids in this movie is good with just enough material to make them carry the genre responsibility of being scary. There is great acting and storytelling for a horror flick as does have real scary scenes. Overall, I highly liked this movie.

• Jun 02, 2019

While Sinister begins to drag in its second act, the mystery is genuinely intriguing. The whole package is pinned together with horrifying home video sequences, which are plentiful and the highlights of the film.

• May 25, 2019

Clever film, although the ending was a tad predictable, and upsetting.

Clever film, although the ending was a tad predictable, and upsetting.

• May 16, 2019

Genuinely disturbing and provides great scares, an increasingly rare combination in today's horror movies so reliant on cheap jumpscares.

• May 04, 2019

Nothing else on, so we FORCED ourselves to watch this BORING, AWEFUL movie. Couldn't wait for it to end. Cameos by Vincent D'Onofrio, and Fred Thompson couldn't save this turkey.

• Apr 27, 2019

Be Careful What You Ask For   This is a film about madness. Evil. Which crept its way into the lives of a family. Into their minds. Their souls. Long before we meet them. Worse. That a trusted family member paved the way for that corruption of innocence. For that possession. Nietzsche wrote: " If you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you." Here we see that. Literally. This film creeps up on you and never lets you go. From the beginning frames. With rare exception the film unfolds from Ellison Oswalt, the main character's point of view. What he sees or does. Or more to the point, what he doesn't see or do. What he should have recognized, should have done, etc. Having Ethan Hawke as the main character was a great choice for one reason. For me he has a long history of playing deeply troubled characters who undergo some transformation. Tape, Training Day, Dead Poets Society, Taking Lives. The Purge. Best at being malign, unsympathetic, destructive. Here Ellison Oswalt is not uncaring. He is deeply flawed. Multiple deep flaws. Starting with classic Greek myth hubris. To regain that last shot at fame and notoriety. Along with that comes blindness. A dismissal of anything that interferes. Reality can be denied only so long. So far. A blindness to what an already troubled daughter paints on walls. Unicorns in black storm clouds. And that long-haired son who oozes screaming out of a cardboard box due to night terrors? Distortions of truth to his wife. Then add obsessional curiosity. He HAS to look. The warnings are there. A classic three: scorpion, snake, black dog. The progressive worsening of his reactions, increased maladaptive coping. We never see the Oswalt family before they are damaged. We see others, unaware, of their horrific fate, through a medium once benign, commonplace.Home movies. That hideous twist is the hallmark of great horror. People are familiar with Shakespeare's "the eyes are the windows of the soul." We see that back to the biblical consequence (Matt 6:23) "if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness." The clever mechanism is an invented Babylonian pagan diety Bughuul - "eater of children" who comes to possess the children - body and soul. Through being viewed by a child. An image made manifest. The literature of possession provides examples of how new abilities, unusual knowledge is gained by those affected. Add to that the influence of anger, resentment, bitterness at being uprooted from one's previous home. Fertile ground for evil to take root. And that darkness in the soul is reflected in the literal darkness of the film itself - intended by the director. Only when other characters come in does that darkness dissipate - only for a time. Ellison lacks the tools to combat that inevitable darkness - that small flashlight? Emblematic of his inadequacy to fight or dispel externally what he has promoted internally. The daughter's final ironic comment that she is going to make him famous again - give him what he so badly wanted - so perfect. Be careful what you ask for - the lesson of great horror. The soundtrack is perfect for accentuating the terror felt by the characters - and by the viewer. In the commentary the director refers to European bands I never heard of - nor could I find any reference. Loud sudden noises, repetitive disturbing sounds - short techno synth loops to create and and accentuate the mood. Excellent. It is not that the mechanisms and devices used are new that makes this film worthwhile. It is how and why they are used to create that overall effect. Here I am left with that disquieting, disturbing, creepy residue afterward. On top of the horror and fright during. A word about the supporting cast. None outshines or usurps the other. Perfect ensemble acting. Great film entertainment.