Skidoo Reviews

• Jul 24, 2014

When Bill Mulligan tells you a movie is terrible, you better believe him. I didn't listen, and I watched the horrendous misfire that is Skidoo (1968). That said, I'm glad I got a chance to experience its particular brand of awfulness myself. Some highlights/lowlights: - Groucho in his final film role. - Jackie Gleason on acid - A psychedelic ballet featuring trashcans dancing to a Harry Nilsson song about trash - Tons of cameos (mostly by folks over 40 in a film aimed at the youth of 1968) - Unfunny gags that go on way, way, way too long - Closing credits sung in their entirety(!) by Harry Nilsson

• Jul 06, 2014

All star cast...not joking not to be missed. I could go on and on.

All star cast...not joking not to be missed. I could go on and on.

• Apr 22, 2014

You too can be beautiful and sexually desirable like me. Mob boss, God, calls an old associate, Tony Banks, to execute a hit on mobster Blue Chips Packard. To execute this mission, Tony will have to go to jail and infiltrate Blue Chips maximum security cell. Tony recruits the aid of a hippie scientist to find a way into maximum security. Meanwhile, God uses the hippie lifestyle to lure Tony's daughter into a trap to ensure her dad executes the plan. "I bet you're a good dancer." "I'm a good everything." "Prove it." Otto Preminger, director of Laura, Anatomy of Murder, Exodus, Where the Sidewalk Ends, Angel Face, and A Royal Scandal, delivers Skidoo. The storyline for this picture is fairly terrible and reminded me of something Jerry Lewis would be in. The comedic content was disappointing and even the acting was below par despite having a solid cast. The cast includes Jackie Gleason, Carol Channing, Frankie Avalon, Cesar Romero, Burgess Meredith, Mickey Rooney, and George Raft. "You're cute." "I know." Skidoo is a movie I DVR'd because it was directed by one of my all time favorite directors, Otto Preminger. This is a very eccentric movie that was obviously made to support smoking weed and living a free lifestyle, like the hippies; unfortunately, the film was disappointing, bland, and ridiculous. This is easily the worst Preminger movie I have ever seen. "What does God want with him after all these years?" Grade: F

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Jan 21, 2014

There are worse movies you could watch than this but not many and certainly none with a cast as famous as this! What starts as a silly but not dreadful generation gap comedy devolves into an incoherent mess capped by the horrifying sight of Carol Channing in long platinum wig, admiral's hat and red hot pants singing the title tune. Just when you think it can't get any worse Frankie Avalon sings the credits! It's as dreadful as it sounds. For bad movie lovers this will be heaven for the rest of the world it's a psychedelic version of hell. A great many famous actors, some more talented then others, damage their reputations and embarrass themselves. A testament to a time when major studios, Paramount in this case, were trying to connect to an audience that it had no understanding of and entrusting it to a director who was equally clueless.

• Jan 19, 2014

Oddball and not all that funny comedy about Jackie Gleason as a hitman forced out of retirement when his hippie daughter is kidnapped. It's really a culture clash comedy between the square adults and hippie kids. The film really is a mess, but is made watchable by virtue of casting a number of major TV stars and former major Hollywood stars, including Carol Channing, Frankie Avalon, Frank Gorshin (The Riddler), Burgess Meredith (The Penguin) and Cesar Romero (The Joker), John Phillip Law, Peter Lawford, George Raft, Mickey Rooney and Groucho Marx playing mob boss "God" his final film appearance. Harry Nilsson wrote the score and the film is unbelievably directed by Otto Preminger. The film either needed to be a star studded madcap comedy like "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" or more of a 1960s psychedelic freakout like "I Love You, Alice B. Toklas."

• Jan 19, 2014

I saw this movie for the first only recently on AMC, and I was horrified. If this was supposed to be a comedy, it missed the mark by 180°... To see Jackie Gleason, Groucho Marx, Mickey Rooney, Carol Channing, Caesar Romero, Burgess Meredith, Frank Gorshen, Frankie Avalon and many others attempting to bluff their way through a totally misinformed 1960s "acid movie" wasn't funny to me at all. On the contrary, I found "Skidoo" a sad, heartbreaking and inappropriate use of talent. Strangely, only Mickey Rooney seemed to FIT this stupid flick, because Mickey Rooney is like the chameleon of the ages, he brings enthusiasm and vitality to any role he plays...So, I could almost BELIEVE Mickey Rooney as an LSD hallucination. But Otto Preminger "chose poorly" with Jackie Gleason as the star... Granted, in his acting career, Gleason turned out to be a really intense dramatic talent, but you can TELL that Jackie Gleason DID NOT LIKE playing in this movie. I mean, seriously, I think the casting call for "Skidoo" brought in all the Hollywood has-beens who needed a couple of bucks. That may be mean to say; but, damn, can you believe that Burgess Meredith, Caesar Romero and Frank Gorshen all appeared in "Skidoo"... These guys also played the three TOP arch-villains in the BatMan television series, The Penguin, The Joker and The Riddler. I was doing double-takes all through the film to see WHO ELSE Otto Preminger was trying to squeeze in... Strangely, Preminger DID NOT tap Jonathan Winters or Carey Grant, who WERE heavy LSD users in real life. Saddest of all was the animatronic appearance of Grouch Marx in this dreadful flick... I mean, in "Skidoo," Groucho looks totally dependent on cue-cards, as though he's never even seen (nor remembers) the script. That's the saddest bit, and the less said about it the better.

• Jan 16, 2014

people took acid to get this one done-what more need i say?

people took acid to get this one done-what more need i say?

• Dec 16, 2013

A forgotten classic. Absolutely fantastic and gut bustingly hilarious. I think stoners in particular would enjoy this film under the influence. It's like nothing I've ever seen and feels way ahead of its time. It's also Groucho Marx's last film.

• Jul 28, 2013

The theme of the movie: a bad trip in San Francisco. But I had to see it for the crazy cast and to see Groucho smoking pumpkin. Also the first film I have seen where they sing the credits.

• Jan 07, 2013

A real oddity, bizarre and thoroughly enjoyable.

A real oddity, bizarre and thoroughly enjoyable.