Sliver Reviews

• May 13, 2019

Adapted from a novel written by Ira Levin centering on voyeurism when a now single young lady, Carly Norris (Sharon Stone) moves into an aparttment building soon after a former lady tenant was killed.. Because she is a book editor, she also cross paths with an infamous book author, Jack Landsford (om Berenger) and another tech tenant, Zeke (William Baldwin) who may have something to do with the murder.

• Feb 05, 2019

Here is a film that gets a really bad rap. Let's get real here, this is no "Citizen Kane," but it doesn't have to be. This is an erotic thriller that knows what it is and gracefully plays within the limitations of its genre. Carly Norris (Sharon Stone) is a book editor who has suffered through a bad seven-year marriage. Now, she's moving into a new apartment building while looking for something fresh and exciting. Enter Zeke Hawkins (William Baldwin), the creepily voyeuristic owner of the building who takes an immediate liking to Carly. But there's also Jack Landsford (Tom Berenger) to contend with: a sleazy novelist bordering dangerously on stalker territory. It doesn't help matters that Carly is a dead ringer for the dead woman who was the previous tenant in Carly's apartment. Both Zeke and Jack each have their fair share of secrets regarding the dead woman. The question is . . . did one of them commit murder and, if so, which one? While the eroticism isn't nearly as explicit as Stone's legendary "Basic Instinct," it's still quite arousing. Although I must admit, "Sliver" does contain one of the most unrealistic sex scenes ever filmed when Zeke the Wonder Schlong crosses a dark room, lifts up Carly's dress and artfully penetrates her from behind against a circular column quick as a bunny. Seriously . . . what an aim this guy has! Playing "poker" in the restaurant beforehand was a nice touch though. I'm not going to say Stone was at the peak of her sensuality in this film because, let's face it, folks . . . her prime was still going on when she starred in "Fading Gigolo" two decades later. She has always been one of the hottest women on this planet and director Phillip Noyce knew how to coax a genuinely steamy performance out of her. Berenger is as reliable as ever, adding a nervous energy to his portrayal of Landsford while William (affectionately known as "the other Baldwin" for much of his career) had one of his best roles in this picture. Noyce makes magnificent use of blue, purple, and black tones during some of the evening scenes. It feels close but not claustrophobic; intimate but not overwhelming. There's some nice tension sprinkled throughout which keeps things interesting. Not really edge-of-your-seat stuff, but good enough to keep the flow of the film brisk. There's even good use of UB40's cover version of Elvis Presley's "Can't Help Falling in Love," which would be the band's last number one single. Overall, "Sliver" isn't going to be mistaken as a masterpiece of the silver screen. But when I want a touch of titillation blended with a decent, almost noir-ish throwback, I can think of a lot worse films I could choose than this.

• Sep 21, 2018

Sliver has a very basic premise- A young, good looking female moves into a tall building in NYC but it turns out there are a lot of skeletons hiding among the residents. Billy Baldwin is the male lead although this is Stone's film. Although the sex scenes are good there is no story to go with it. Upon looking at the wiki article I saw that the film was a financial disaster and I can see why. One needs a good foundation- a script of worth on which all the other features can stand. Sliver gets the erotic bits alright but fails to deliver a story. Still, worth a watch.

• Aug 16, 2018

1 of the best thrillers of the 90's. i don't know what it's doing here.

1 of the best thrillers of the 90's. i don't know what it's doing here.

• Aug 13, 2018

Sliver is billed as an erotic thriller. It is erotic all right but there isn't much thrill in here. A young, good looking female moves into a tall building in NYC but it turns out there are a lot of skeletons hiding among the residents. Billy Baldwin is the male lead although this is Stone's film. Although the sex scenes are good there is no story to go with it. Upon looking at the wiki article I saw that the film was a financial disaster and I can see why. One needs a good foundation- a script of worth on which all the other features can stand. Sliver gets the erotic bits alright but fails to deliver a story. Still, worth a watch. (Watch it for the gorgeous Sharon Stone).

• Jul 23, 2018

• Jul 17, 2018

Might have worked, but no chemistry between Stone and the men lusting after her. In 1993, Baldwin's million-dollar hobby was fiction; as of 2018, the USA is living the horror show of government surveillance on every corner. The only scenes I cannot bear are Colleen Camp's. Her drooling vulgarity gets fast-forwarded every time.

• Mar 30, 2018

I loved Sliver in every moment of its trashy, over-the-top, lurid entertainment. It's every bit as trashy as you would expect from a 90's erotic thriller, but that's also why I loved every damn minute of watching it and I can see myself viewing it multiple times in the future. It's a steamy, erotic, enjoyable thriller from beginning to end that I would place on par with the original Basic Instinct. Plus, the film has the benefit of being unexpectedly timely, given this day and age where everyone seems to know what everyone is doing. It's steamy, it's voyeuristic, it's trashy, it's campy, it's strangely well-acted, and it's one hell of a ride from beginning to end. If you love yourself some trashy 90's thrillers and Sharon Stone flicks, this is one to check out. You will not be disappointed by this trip down a strange memory lane in cinema history. This has easily become one of my favorite trash flicks and I will treasure more as the years go by.

• Mar 07, 2018

I remember watching this movie when I was a kid and probably much too young to understand what was going on but my family never tried to hide us from sub par Sharon stone nudity. The movie left enough of An impact to where I revisited it in my 30s. I enjoy the obvious creepiness and Baldwin weirdness. I always will have a soft spot in my heart for this movie because it was one of the first times I realized I loved women.

• Jan 03, 2018

The delicious Sharon Stone is the only highlight of this mundane thriller. She looks bored throughout and the miscasting of Wil Baldwin is one of many problems in this whodunit dressed up with steamy sex scenes.