Slumdog Millionaire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Slumdog Millionaire Reviews

½ April 4, 2017
This is a somewhat predictable but lovely film which combines an honest look at poverty in India with one of the best love stories in recent years.

Jamal who wants to find his long lost love Latika, goes on a game show called "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire". After he's suspected of cheating, he's interrogated and he starts to explain how he knew all the answers.

To say that this is expertly shot would be an understatement. It would be nearly impossible for another movie to win "Best Picture" over it. Every shot is amazing and not a single one seems worse than the last.

The clever structure of the film uses the backstory to explain how he knew each of the answers to show what life is like for much of India's population. Even some of the more disturbing things that go on are detailed very well in the movie.

The actors all did a great job. Especially the younger cast which is rather surprising considering that this is their first time acting for many of them. They acted well and I was sold in the first 20 minutes.

Unfortunately, the film's strength falters near the end. Blaming plot contrivances on "fate" seemed lazy and the happy ending felt a bit hollow to me. But besides this, this is still a powerful and moving film which will entertain you all throughout it.

This is a great movie. It has great acting and it was expertly shot. The movie details violence well and it's handled greatly too. This is Danny Boyle's best movie since Sunshine and Trainspotting.
April 1, 2017
WOW! that's gotta be the most fucked up love story i've ever seen. the way the story is told, through the questions, keeps you invested. it's filmed REALLY well, intoxicatingly so and never feels anything other than an unexaggerated depiction of poverty in india.
March 29, 2017
One of the most realistic movies about the corrupt and dark life in India. Dev Patel's journey is great, you're always expecting him to find the woman of his life. It' turns into a feel-good movie at the end, that seems more like a musical scene, but after so harsh times, maybe we deserved that.
½ February 28, 2017
Permission to speak freely. 2008 was not an entirely memorable year for movies. "The Dark Knight" and "WALL-E" were really the only lasting films from that year, but something had to win Best Picture.
February 26, 2017
It's good, but it doesn't seem like a masterpiece to me...
February 23, 2017
One of my favorite films! This movie is stylishly directed, incredibly shot, and smartly written.
½ February 22, 2017
This is an amazing film! Danny Boyle's directing style fit perfectly with the story of the movie. Dev Patel is excellent as well as his brother Salim and Latika. Does a really good job of keeping you engaged and on the edge of your seat. Great cinematography and music as well. A must watch film.
February 19, 2017
One of my all-time favorites.
February 1, 2017
Slumdog Millionaire is directed by Danny Boyle, and it stars Dev Patel in a British drama film about a slumdog that has gotten to the last question in Who Wants to be a Millionaire, but the detectives think he cheated, and Jamal (Dev Patel) tells his story about every question he answered. I've enjoyed Danny Boyle's later films that start from 28 Days Later to Steve Jobs, but I haven't watched his earlier films like Transpotting or Shallow Grave, but sooner or later I'll get to those. Right now however, let's get to this, which is one of his bests in my opinion. The acting from unknown actors are outstanding that it certainly made Dev Patel well known, especially with this film being a sleeper hit in the box office. The direction is kinetic, but still maintains focus on what it needs to show, and the writing by Simon Beaufoy is tight and well-written that manages to show the negative and positive aspects of India of what it's like living there, but still tells a great story that uses the best use of a show that was popular at the time because it progresses the story greatly, and it actually has reason for being there, and not just shoehorned in only for the sake of commercializing the show. The score by A.R. Rahman is really catchy that feels like he's in his prime here, and it shows, while also putting in some American songs that fit into this film. The characters are memorable as we see the main characters go from little kids to young adults that you start to know a lot about them. It's funny, it's clever, and it is really intense at times when you really want Jamal to win after all that happened in his entire life. It mixes drama elements very well with the feel-good aspects of it, and the chemistry between Jamal and Latika is really good that you can understand why those two guys deserve each other. Slumdog Millionaire is a masterpiece of filmmaking that it's actually one of my favorite films.
½ January 28, 2017
Loved it so much, but too bad I liked Wall-E more ~
January 27, 2017
This movie is about life, love and money! Love it.
½ January 26, 2017
Excellent film and super well directed. A good solid 9 out of 10 and I kicked myself for waiting so very long to finally see! Very good story and great human element represented.
½ January 24, 2017
Stunning! A visual and visceral masterpiece! Will have you literally on the edge of your seat! India is a star in this movie as well. She dazzles us with her diversity and beauty. Bollywood does not disappoint.
January 18, 2017
Wonderful film, wonderful story. A must see
½ January 17, 2017
Very predictable, but extremely well directed and shot.
½ January 15, 2017
It's inspirational and thrilling despite its predictability, and features an excellent display of visual storytelling and emotional connection.
½ December 27, 2016
not nearly as good as The first time I saw it, when all the oscar hype surrounded it. stark view of orphans in India yet romantic & cheesy too.
December 21, 2016
Just like the game show and kept you on suspense while telling a story that feels so real
November 25, 2016
This is a masterpiece in storytelling. The cinematography, the flashback sequences and the acting are top notch.
It holds nothing back from the sad, macabre and sometimes gory reality of the life in the slums,
It has comedic and tragic elements that play well together in engaging the viewer. The high octane action sequences get tiring early into the movie however.
½ October 27, 2016
A great film that takes time to unravel it's enriched story. All actors are brilliant (even though it's an almost unrecognisable cast) and the cinematography is beautiful too. It is an accurate depiction of the Indian slums and Indian politics and it is highly impressive that a Bollywood movie did so well in the oscars. My only fault is the way Boyle directs the fast paced scenes, (if you know his style you'll know exactly what I'm on about).