Slumdog Millionaire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Slumdog Millionaire Reviews

November 25, 2016
This is a masterpiece in storytelling. The cinematography, the flashback sequences and the acting are top notch.
It holds nothing back from the sad, macabre and sometimes gory reality of the life in the slums,
It has comedic and tragic elements that play well together in engaging the viewer. The high octane action sequences get tiring early into the movie however.
½ October 27, 2016
A great film that takes time to unravel it's enriched story. All actors are brilliant (even though it's an almost unrecognisable cast) and the cinematography is beautiful too. It is an accurate depiction of the Indian slums and Indian politics and it is highly impressive that a Bollywood movie did so well in the oscars. My only fault is the way Boyle directs the fast paced scenes, (if you know his style you'll know exactly what I'm on about).
½ October 10, 2016
I remember watching this with my family around the time it came out and having my mind blown by the structure of it all. I believe this was the very first time I'd experienced non-linear story telling in this manner, and it just completely changed the way I thought about movies (at least subconsciously). After rewatching, yeah it's pretty great. Its gimmick gets a tiny bit repetitive I'll admit, but I wasn't too bothered. And yeah, they do ask for a good amount of suspension of disbelief with some of the questions he answers, but again, it didn't bother me too much. In the end, I paradoxically really liked the story for how real it felt. Everyone in the movie feels like a real person going through real struggles in the real world. It's all executed very well. Imperfect, sure, but very good indeed.
September 28, 2016
this one really showed me how poor india is, with half of unkown actors in it with the crime and dances 2nd best movie of 2008 after the dark knight 10l10
½ September 23, 2016
Excellent movie. The acting was fully believable and the story was interesting. What really got me was all of the connections between the questions on the game show and his life. It was through those questions that we saw his life. It was also really interesting how the whole movie was in English but also a bit of Hindi. The whole movie was excellent.
½ September 5, 2016
Danny Boyle's direction and the editing are very good, but the film is overlong and boring
½ July 21, 2016
While certainly manipulative at times, Slumdog Millionaire is an alternatively cynical and optimistic film that ultimately proves to be an amazing experience through it's frentic storytelling and directing, and a nice serving of style.
½ July 20, 2016
With an excellent blend of humour, romance and suspense, "Slumdog Millionaire" is a very powerful and intriguing film from start to finish.
July 19, 2016
This is a somewhat predictable but lovely film which combines an honest look at poverty in India with one of the best love stories in recent years.

Jamal who wants to find his long lost love Latika, goes on a game show called "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire". After he's suspected of cheating, he's interrogated and he starts to explain how he knew all the answers.

To say that this is expertly shot would be an understatement. It would be nearly impossible for another movie to win "Best Picture" over it. Every shot is amazing and not a single one seems worse than the last.

The clever structure of the film uses the backstory to explain how he knew each of the answers to show what life is like for much of India's population. Even some of the more disturbing things that go on are detailed very well in the movie.

The actors all did a great job. Especially the younger cast which is rather surprising considering that this is their first time acting for many of them. They acted well and I was sold in the first 20 minutes.

Unfortunately, the film's strength falters near the end. Blaming plot contrivances on "fate" seemed lazy and the happy ending felt a bit hollow to me. But besides this, this is still a powerful and moving film which will entertain you all throughout it.

This is a great movie. It has great acting and it was expertly shot. The movie details violence well and it's handled greatly too. This is Danny Boyle's best movie since Sunshine and Trainspotting.
July 15, 2016
Anything by Danny Boyle
½ July 14, 2016
It's fair to say that the movie started well, reminding you a kind of "City of God", but what we get it's a silly story with no relatable or interesting characters that fall into this giant bore.
July 9, 2016
With clever flashbacks, stylized action, realism and small doses of humour, "Slumdog Millionaire" for the most part is an entertaining film. Alas, the finale takes a big crap on what came before. The director suddenly seems completely uninterested in the oppression in this world after his hero wins 20,000,000 rupees. The happy-end sell-out gave "Slumdog Millionaire" its recognition and awards but degraded the film to a silly bubblegum.
½ June 2, 2016
Stellar performances and a gripping tale will keep you glued to the screen.
June 2, 2016
This maybe Danny Boyle's award winning hit but it's still unforgettable.
May 17, 2016
Updated style and tenor don't really do much to save Slumdog in the end. Boyle's emphasis on the colors and sounds of Mumbai, use of frantic camera work, and pop music forays work well at first in conveying the energy of the slums, and in depicting a believable childhood gaze. However, the sugar rush eventually subsides and we're then forced to suffer through some Hollywood pitfalls that are primarily the fault of the script. The uber updated style and tenor of Slumdog also poses a problem when considering the social critique involved. Should the slums of Mumbai look like as if the characters are all about to slide off the screen because of it being too slick? Giving it the old Hollywood gloss sure will please the masses, but I'm sure if the citizens of Mumbai were to watch Slumdog they may have a problem with their homes being made to look like a centerfold shot of a magazine. In no way did I ever get the feeling of true filth and grit within these slums. Going back to the pitfalls. To be honest, I had a real problem with the use Who Wants to Be a Millionaire all together. The strength of this film lies within the sequences that take place within the slums. Although the style may pose problems at times, there are some genuine moments of social insight and clarity. One such instance involves the two brothers first seeing the palace and the camera taking us on a tour via swoops, close-ups, and pans to depict the wonder and excitement of a child being enveloped in an upper-class social environment. These kind of subtlety's are sadly few and far between. I guess the only way an American audience can relate to Mumbai is through a game show! and some crappy love story.
When the film transitions into present day it suffers from cliched characters,(One note villains and dirty cops) bad dialogue, and an underdeveloped love interest. In the end, nothing feels earned. The moments on the game show lack suspense due to the fact that the audience is given the knowledge of our protagonist's accomplishments when the film first begins. Boyle knows this, and by the end, tries to make up for it by creating forced suspense involving the smarmy game show host feeding Jamal a wrong answer. Gee, maybe Jamal won't succeed after all! Oh Boyle, what a trickster.The film is trying to establish a destiny/meant-to-be type of story telling, and I get that, but the film strings the audience along the entire time with no sense of anticipation, and expects us to be rewarded by two individuals finally sharing a kiss that isn't earned. "The money doesn't matter." All that matters is that he finally found that girl who he kind of knows, and if he kisses her scar it may make it seem as if they actually share a deep love. As the credits roll, there is the sweet sound of some kind of Bollywood dance igniting the screen seconds after the death of a MAJOR character. "The dirty hoodlum did his good deed now light his ass up! It will be a great way to tack on some last second sympathy." Talk about one of the most overrated films in some time.
May 15, 2016
A well-made (not flawless) movie which succeeds in uniquely telling its story.

I do think Benjamin Button should have won Best Picture over this though!
May 4, 2016
Very predictable, but extremely well directed and shot.
April 10, 2016
Danny Boyle's love letter to Bollywood is energetic, colorful and bittersweet.
½ April 4, 2016
Really good movie, entertaining.
March 27, 2016
heard it's awesome. alex saw it without me, so if anyone wants to go, i'm game.