Slumdog Millionaire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Slumdog Millionaire Reviews

½ July 22, 2017
If this movie won eight Oscar awards, it better be good. I shall find out.
½ July 10, 2017
Slumdog Millionaire is a lovely film about fighting back against all obstacles put in front of you. Fighting off poverty, loss of family and loved ones and betrayals, Jamal rises to be a millionaire from the slums. A true feel-good film by the end if there ever was one.
July 1, 2017
Movie is pure genius! Easily deserved best picture.
June 24, 2017
I was very prejudge about this movie at first but it was much better than i had expect! A very different story but i still don't believe that this movie deserves 8 oscars :)
June 20, 2017
This story was told in such an interesting and dramatic way, and being a lover of quiz shows I found the ending clever and tense. My favourite film of 2008. AAW GGWD. 1001
½ June 10, 2017
Extremely overrated. Too unrealistic even for the movies. Too sappy as well. I couldn't stand it. (First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
June 6, 2017
An engaging, feel-good, interesting and, at times, shocking story told very well by the actors and director Danny Boyle.
½ June 5, 2017
Interesting concept, yet has flaws with pacing, editing, and continuity. Slightly unrealistic but is good. Great acting, an amazing performance from Dev Patel!
½ June 2, 2017
Slumdog Millionaire stands along side Trainspotting as one of Danny Boyle's best. Brilliant directing, acting, editing and cinematography help tell this powerful and utterly compelling story. While it does have flaws it's still an excellent movie and a high point in the careers of everyone involved. A
½ May 30, 2017
This movie lives up to all the hype. Must see.
Bradley T. Johnson
May 29, 2017
Slumdog Millionaire is simultaneously joyful and grittily realistic in the depiction of the slums in Mambai. Danny Boyle directs with a steady and respectful hand, and while inevitably the film is highly implausible, the film still manages to be heartwarming and crowd-pleasing. Rating: 82
May 27, 2017
Slumdog Millionaire tells a story of love and compassion through clear ideas and inspiring stories-and yet I left dissatisfied. Throughout the movie, Jamal expressed his love for Latika in an overly melodramatic fashion, which was almost unbelievable.
Also, every time a story of Jamal's knowledge was exposed, it ended as quick as it began like I was on a tour bus and was given 5 minutes for each sight. Therefore, Slumdog Millionaire did not live up to my expectations.
In Slumdog Millionaire, Jamal is constantly looking for Latika, while doing so, he constantly has a dumbfound look on his face. Even when winning 20 million rupees he had the same look on his face as in every other scene. The dumbfounded look became banal thus making him less believable.
Though Jamal's stories were cleverly weaved into the game show, I still found no raw emotion from any of the characters through theses short stories. I believe this is because the stories were so "rushed", as if I was on a tour bus.
Overall, Slumdog succeeded in telling and presenting an inspiring story in unique ways. Yet it failed to show the inner essence of the characters. On a final note, Slumdog gets my appreciation, despite that it failed to captivate me.
May 12, 2017
Finally sat downa nd watched the whole movie. Very glad i did. (:
May 11, 2017
"What could go wrong?" I thought to myself. And then all i could point out was some parts being left unclear, and terrible choices of soundtrack. It's so easy to become a favorite, Yet had failed to become one of mine. Despite its unnoticable flaws, it's a beautiful film, and i loved it.
½ April 4, 2017
This is a somewhat predictable but lovely film which combines an honest look at poverty in India with one of the best love stories in recent years.

Jamal who wants to find his long lost love Latika, goes on a game show called "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire". After he's suspected of cheating, he's interrogated and he starts to explain how he knew all the answers.

To say that this is expertly shot would be an understatement. It would be nearly impossible for another movie to win "Best Picture" over it. Every shot is amazing and not a single one seems worse than the last.

The clever structure of the film uses the backstory to explain how he knew each of the answers to show what life is like for much of India's population. Even some of the more disturbing things that go on are detailed very well in the movie.

The actors all did a great job. Especially the younger cast which is rather surprising considering that this is their first time acting for many of them. They acted well and I was sold in the first 20 minutes.

Unfortunately, the film's strength falters near the end. Blaming plot contrivances on "fate" seemed lazy and the happy ending felt a bit hollow to me. But besides this, this is still a powerful and moving film which will entertain you all throughout it.

This is a great movie. It has great acting and it was expertly shot. The movie details violence well and it's handled greatly too. This is Danny Boyle's best movie since Sunshine and Trainspotting.
April 1, 2017
WOW! that's gotta be the most fucked up love story i've ever seen. the way the story is told, through the questions, keeps you invested. it's filmed REALLY well, intoxicatingly so and never feels anything other than an unexaggerated depiction of poverty in india.
March 29, 2017
One of the most realistic movies about the corrupt and dark life in India. Dev Patel's journey is great, you're always expecting him to find the woman of his life. It' turns into a feel-good movie at the end, that seems more like a musical scene, but after so harsh times, maybe we deserved that.
½ February 28, 2017
Permission to speak freely. 2008 was not an entirely memorable year for movies. "The Dark Knight" and "WALL-E" were really the only lasting films from that year, but something had to win Best Picture.
February 26, 2017
It's good, but it doesn't seem like a masterpiece to me...
February 23, 2017
One of my favorite films! This movie is stylishly directed, incredibly shot, and smartly written.