Small Apartments Reviews

YodaMasterJedi
February 14, 2014
four stars
½ February 28, 2014
A cst full of lovably eccentric nuts, along with a surprisingly restrained Billy Crystal in one of his best roles. The movie looks like a comedic character study, but is actually a surprisingly touching one, with the comedy being gently pushed to the side in such a way that you don't realize it's happening and don't even miss it when it's gone..
½ October 4, 2013
Maybe I was just completely in the mood for this, but I loved it. I laughed through the whole thing.
September 28, 2014
LAUGH OUT LOUD. HILARIOUS. OFFBEAT. STRANGE. CREEPY. MELANCHOLY. Just the weird type of unexpected that gets my interest.
A bunch of great acting talent.
Probably too weird for the common crowd.
½ March 17, 2014
Great cast, great character actors, just a little dull at times, and not as quirky as the director thought. Really great attempt at a very weird comedy, but just short of hysterical or memorably weird. I enjoyed viewing it and loved to see those actors together. Worth a view but not fantastic
December 21, 2013
Fun, emotional and weird. I love this film! I expected a low-budget, bad-acted and awkward movie. But this was really good.
November 15, 2013
This started as a really weird quirky film, but I ended up loving it. It just got better and better.
November 8, 2013
I honestly really liked this movie. It was interesting to say the least. Gives you a strange feel. Very artsy, and indie feeling, it definitely grasps your attention and you get a very awkward attachment to the characters. Put Juno Temple in any movie and I'll love it, I wish she had a bigger role in this movie, but every actor served their role well, and though this is a dark type movie, you find a lot to make you smile. I'd recommend this movie, maybe not to the average movie goer, but to people who genuinely enjoy twisted, strange movies with awkward plots. I enjoyed this, I give it 5/5 because I feel it's rating on here is a load of BS. Deserves much more. Two thumbs up for me, and if you're an open minded movie-watcher like myself, give this a watch, I think you'd enjoy it.
½ September 10, 2013
Small Apartments is one of the best things a redbox has ever done for me. The strange cast works in a bizarre and fabulous way. The story is indeed also bizarre but contains emotional moments not easily detected. For me this is more unusual than the story. Small Apartments is different but it is not just different for the sake of being so. I don't want to speak poorly of all the bad reviews but they are all wrong ignore them.
½ August 2, 2013
Am I missing something? This movie is GREAT! Yes, it is really strange and the main character is nuts, but the movie is really funny and interesting and not in a way that makes the movie dull. Many times when you get these esoteric films that are art house they get complicated and lose the audience, but not Small Apartments. I really missed how people didn't like it.

Matt Lucas is GREAT! Billy Crystal is EVEN BETTER! and Johnny Knoxville is AMAZING!!!

Please see this movie and tell me what I missed and why I think it is a great film and most people hated it?!?!
July 25, 2013
Laugh out loud funny. Tragicomic. Matt Lucas' portrayal of Franklin Franklin is brilliant
July 19, 2013
Very dark and weird with a great performance by Matt Lucas (from Little Britain fame), Interesting all star cast including Billy Crystal, Johnny Knoxville, James Marsden and James Caan. Not really that funny, but it is sad.
July 18, 2013
Surprising, dark, touching, uncomfortable, and funny. Definitely weird and strange, but really good performances by Matt Lucas and surprisingly touching and humorous performance by Johnny Knoxville, who outwardly seems like a slacker but gets something done every day--just not the types of goals the "average" person might set. Hard to pin down whether Lucas' character is crazy, mentally handicapped, or something else, and that makes him totally unpredictable.
½ May 6, 2013
Made mainly for the european audience. Heavy on swedes in the production and we sick and twisted swedes, friends of the weird cinema like this a lot. I think.
April 26, 2013
Kooky and fun black comedy. Certainly not a hit out of the park but worth a watch just to see a creepy Matt Lucas.
½ April 17, 2013
A wonderfully bizarre black comedy. The people in it play parts unlike their usual ones, which makes it fresh and surprising. Matt Lucas demonstrates his incredible acting chops once again, and Johnny Knoxville makes surprisingly sympathetic stoner. Finally, the wardrobe they put Dolph Lundgren in is worth the price of admission all by itself. If you like dark humour, definitely watch this movie.
½ April 9, 2013
I enjoyed it. It didn't try to be something else. I thought it was originally different, dark and funny.
April 1, 2013
Quite disappointing. Akuerlund's previous effort, Spun, was a tour de force but this latest effort is just horrific. Lucas is well cast as the oddball loner, and Juno Temple shines, as always, but the rest of the cast are wooden. The story is also quite drab and could have been told in half the time. Whilst this film is certainly dark, there isn't much comedy. After watching it, my partner and I mourned the hour-and-a-half that we'd never again reclaim.
March 29, 2013
Far more poignant than expected and harnessing a unique visual spontaneity, this film was definitely worth watching. If you don't go in expecting the expected you'll be thoroughly satisfied.