Small Apartments - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Small Apartments Reviews

½ November 1, 2016
Not quite a 5 out of 5 but very close. This movie uses it's 1 hr 35 very well with the story continually developing throughout and keeping you guessing.

With other movies there are clear flag points of the plot in which you know how the next half an hour of the plot is going to be focused. However with this plot it just consistently reveals itself bit by bit. There are some very dark themes explored in this movie including some of the lowest forms of human behaviour. It's gross at times but is actually quite real because we all have things we are ashamed of behind closed doors. It also explores themes of human insanity. Where that line ends and should society ultimately judge who is insane and who isn't?

The characters are all brilliant and all acted very well. *Spoiler* This movie has a happy ending despite it's dark themes and provides a feel good sense for the human spirit. It is a totally unique piece of cinema.
½ August 30, 2016
Not nearly as bad as people seem to say.
July 6, 2016
This is one of my favorite quirky films. It somehow portrays the ugly, dirty, and downright gross in such a beautiful way. I love the cast and the characters they portray are so likeable and real. I laughed, I cried, and I was left feeling happy and hopeful.
January 9, 2015
This movie is amazing! What is wrong with everyone...? It's funny, sad, quirky, brilliantly cast and written.
September 28, 2014
LAUGH OUT LOUD. HILARIOUS. OFFBEAT. STRANGE. CREEPY. MELANCHOLY. Just the weird type of unexpected that gets my interest.
A bunch of great acting talent.
Probably too weird for the common crowd.
September 24, 2014
From the director of "Spun", and just as wacked. With an abundance of style, maddening editing, and a monsterous cast, it loses a bit of plot over the wacky structure. But screw it, it's a novelty film.
September 20, 2014
Very good movie must see life lessons running thru it all
September 9, 2014
A black comedy with a great cast but short on any laughs.
½ September 5, 2014
Oh my god. I loved the dark humor of this flick, that go alongside the 'did I just see that moments'. The first hour was a masterpiece, it had all the makings of a cult classic. The last 30ish minutes trailed off in my opinion. Nonetheless, highly recommended by me, although definitely not for most people (F'ing strange movie... LOL).
July 22, 2014
Weird and oddly depressing...
July 20, 2014
Captivatingly weird and wonderful
½ June 30, 2014
So weird and awesome.
½ June 16, 2014
Never again will I waste valuable minuets of my life watching this.
June 10, 2014
Its an odd movie that has really funny moments
April 20, 2014
Strangely tender but funny.
April 20, 2014
Strangely tender but funny.
March 21, 2014
Strange, quirky, clever. I liked it! The actors made it better than it could've been, and Aklund's music video pedigree works well for this kind of movie.
½ March 17, 2014
Great cast, great character actors, just a little dull at times, and not as quirky as the director thought. Really great attempt at a very weird comedy, but just short of hysterical or memorably weird. I enjoyed viewing it and loved to see those actors together. Worth a view but not fantastic
½ February 28, 2014
A cst full of lovably eccentric nuts, along with a surprisingly restrained Billy Crystal in one of his best roles. The movie looks like a comedic character study, but is actually a surprisingly touching one, with the comedy being gently pushed to the side in such a way that you don't realize it's happening and don't even miss it when it's gone..
½ December 28, 2013
Not a huge mess or disaster but its rather surreal. Im sure a selection of people may find something fun in this. There is a selection of actors in this and its fun to guess who is who.