Snow Flower And The Secret Fan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Snow Flower And The Secret Fan Reviews

½ September 19, 2015
The novel by Lisa See was beautiful, deep. It really transports the reader to 19th century China.
The film was choppy, vague, and confusing. Attempting to weave another, modern, story-line in with the original story took away time that could have been used for character and story development. You don't get to know the two main characters or the close nature of their relationship, which is the entire theme of the film. You don't get an idea of what life in 19th century China might have looked like. It left me disappointed and had I not read the book, I don't think I would have understood what the film was about at all.
August 21, 2015
Beautiful story, but the way it's directed and edited grates. Also not helped by poor English closed captions for the deaf on Netflix, rather than just for translation purposes.
August 7, 2015
I do not understand the hate coming from the critics about this movie. I really enjoyed watching it.

It was beautifully shot with great cinematography. Heart-wrenching tale complemented by good acting and fitting soundtrack. Very tragic but with a happy ending.
June 27, 2015
A good movie for those with the concentration to watch epic dramas. I loved it, in the vein of white swan.
½ June 27, 2015
A touching movie about love, tastefully written and well performed.
February 28, 2015
still reading the book
½ November 17, 2014
The book was better....
September 21, 2014
Why do I keep crying.Cinematography is excellentCritics should probably have rated this higher. Kind of surprised by the general viewer response, because I'm glad I watched this (And honestly that's something that happens only 20% of the time. You'd think I didn't like film or something). This is a perfect example of why I'm obligated to usually disregard ratings as a guide to which movies to skip/watch.
June 29, 2014
½ May 21, 2014
Disappointing. Could have been such a good film.
November 22, 2013
Does not follow novel. Difficult to understand. What is Hugh Jackman doing in it???
June 21, 2013
Absolutely amazing. There is a parallel story within which tells the recent history of China and how China sees itself in the modern world. A must see!
May 25, 2013
CRIED LIKE A BIG OLD SAP. Did not realize it was based on a book, which is apparently vastly superior.
½ May 17, 2013
The movie went in an entirely different direction than the book. If they would have just stuck to the book instead of trying to imitate The Joy Luck Club. The movie did not do the book justice. The modern tidbits were unnecessary and spoiled the movie.
½ April 28, 2013
A beautifully filmed movie that pulls lots of emotional strings! The story is essentially about how two women, in the present and in the past, are best friends forever, or laotong. As their lives develop and intertwine, their stories grow and their love for their 'sister' deepens. The movie slows down at times, but it is definitely worth the wait! And the illustrations over the end credits are amazing!
April 24, 2013
am surprised by the rating this film has received on Rotten Tomatoes. I always find these types of films fascinating, and have enjoyed the stories at link history with our modern times ever since I read "The Joy Luck Club".

This is the story of Nina and Sophia, two friends who try very hard to remain as close as sisters throughout life's ups and downs. It is also the story of Snow Flower and Lily, characters in an historical novel written by Sophia. Snow Flower and Lily joined together as "laotong", a sort of spiritual sister commitment, yet their bonds will be tested during the hardships they individually suffer. Sophia's story, told in a series of cut-scenes, is an undeniable parallel of her relationship with Nina. As Nina reads more and more of the story, she realizes how important the bond of a true female friend really is.

A lovely tale about womens' relationships. There is an unexpected Hugh Jackman appearance as well! Definitely worth a watch in my opinion.
½ April 22, 2013
A beautiful movie about the power of friendship and the bounds of this kind of "love"
March 12, 2013
Muy linda y suave,se siente fresca y relajante y conosimientos.
March 6, 2013
On the eve of Sebastian(Archie Kao) and Nina(Bingbing Li) moving to New York for work, Nina receives news that Sophia(Gianna Jun), an old friend she had met as a teenager when she tutored her in Chinese, is in a coma from being hit by a car on her bicycle. Nina is surprised when told that Sophia was trying to call her shortly before her accident since they had not talked in so long. That's nothing compared to discovering the manuscript Sophia had written about a friendship between two girls in rural China in 1829.

The well-produced "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" has certain things also going for it in its rare thoughtful exploration of the friendship between two women, coupled with how China has a problematic relationship with its past, with a focus on the barbaric practice of foot binding which here is sort of fetishized. That having been said, the movie would have been much improved concentrating on just one time period, not three, instead making this feel like mainly just the highlights of a pretty good television series, complete with special guest star.
February 24, 2013
Take all the good things out of Broke Back Mountain and the Joy Luck Club, mix them together with a smidgen of Communist Propaganda, two cups of ultra-feminism and then go eat a turd. It will taste better than this film.