Solomon Kane Reviews

• Feb 02, 2021

Solomon kane is from Robert E howars the same guy who did conan, except their nothing new to the table and becomes a generic fantasy film.

• Jan 04, 2021

A brutal and dark adventure This fantasy is a underrated gem but it's not for everyone especially if you don't like gore

• Jun 21, 2020

Surprisingly effective action film with a great cast. Many missed this one and shouldn't have.

• Apr 13, 2020

For those that are not familiar, Solomon Kane is the first successful character of Robert E Howard, creator of Conan the barbarian. It is with Solomon Kane that Howard, in a sense invents the Sword & Sorcery genre. Solomon Kane is usually described as a puritanical witchhunter with a mission to purge evil in all its forms. This move despite it relative low budget is an ambitious project with the aim to try to create an origins story for the characters. A story that does not exist in the works of Howard, at least not in any coherent way. Approached as such, and keeping in mind the low budget of the production, is a must watch for any Sword & Sorcery fans, especially readers of Robert E Howard. It is a dark, gritty and very violent dark fantasy adventure and it does its job as an origins story. Sure enough it lacks the production quality of a big budget Hollywood movie but it does capture the tone of an original Solomon Kane story. James Porefoy, as the title character is simply amazing and brings the character to life. He just looks every part the lean-as-a-wolf puritanical Witch Hunter. The biggest drawback of the film? No sequel,

• Oct 01, 2019

It was watchable. Lots of bloody fight scenes and beheadings. Good plot line but moved along at a snails pace.

• Aug 21, 2019

A fun splashy film, I really wish this did well enough to get those sequels that were planned. They had a good start here

• Aug 11, 2019

Thoroughly enjoyed most of the gritty yet cheesy bits that was this film. Wish we could of seen the rest of the trilogy of films planned

• May 26, 2019

Solomon Kane is a ship's Captain known for his extreme courage and violence. The Devil wants his soul, so he hides out in a monastery and becomes a Puritan man of peace, to the point where he stands and does nothing while an innocent child is killed before his eyes. However, when they kidnap the young lady he's interested in, that changes everything and he unleashes the savage violence pent up inside him. A decent performance by Purefoy in a ho-hum movie.

• May 21, 2019

Every time I found myself sinking into the story, upholding my suspension of disbelief and enjoying myself, the movie had some way of pulling me back out into the real world, either with hammy acting, unsubtle literary symbolism, or an incredibly predictable plot.

• Apr 10, 2019

I really like dark fantasy, and this movie kept the tone and gloominess throughout, but with the lack of good action and good characters and a quick story dull it. It starts off strong, introducing the protagonist with some decent action, yet somehow loses its grip. The main character loses his motive and just gets a new one. It's not bad but from what I saw in the beginning it's somehow a downgrade that happens thirty minutes into the film. The combat is okay; it is the favorable part in the film but it wasn't too violent. I don't know why it's rated R, I don't think they ever dropped an F-bomb, it was only blood and it wasn't excessive. This is an alright film, interesting to say the least.