Son of Kong Reviews

• Jun 26, 2019

Son of Kong is probably the most underrated film I've seen to date. Truly an unnecessary sequel - I think it's clear to anybody that, at the time, nothing could've really followed up King Kong, its majesty - and success - was something that could not be rivaled by a sequel. Instead of leaving it there, though, Schoedsack made something fun, interesting and entertaining. I believe that any attempt to create a serious, heavy sequel to King Kong in the amount of time Son of Kong took to be made and released could have never been as good as this outcome. It may not be as serious, however it does keep the audience guessing and gives the story of King Kong a somewhat happy ending that the original film didn't deliver. I wouldn't recommend Son of Kong to everyone - I doubt a lot of people would have as much of an appreciation for the film as I do, and fair game. However, if you enjoyed the majesty and the intrigue from the original film, I think Son of Kong will hold your interest.

• May 13, 2019

A rushed sequel to the classic 'King Kong', pressured by RKO to release by Christmas, giving the crew only 8 months to film, it shows, and shows terribly.

• Dec 08, 2018

2/5. This disappointing sequel actually came out the same year as King Kong. This film has a much more comedic tone and they don't get to the island until the last half hour of the movie. The ending makes no sense whatsoever, but the miniatures are still really cool.

• Sep 09, 2018

Despite having a very incomplete history and unrealistic special effects; I even liked the movie, very fun and interesting. I recommend (although there are better flames).

• May 17, 2018

You got the dinosaurs. You got a monkey band. A sinking Skull Island. Funny old visuals. What else do you need?

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Feb 27, 2018

It's said that writer Ruth Rose knew that King Kong could not be improved on and so went the comic route here, completed and released only nine months after the original. What she does is try to exonerate Denham's character somewhat from the gross capitalist behavior in the first, and add a touch of comedy to the son of the big ape, lessening Pop's scare factor considerably. What's achieved is a lesser affair, sure, but nonetheless familial heritage is clearly seen, which is to say "not bad." Not good, but not entirely bad either.

• Aug 29, 2017

Without being too cynical, "The Son of Kong" feels like a by-the-numbers sequel, made to capitalize on the success of "King Kong". The first half, featuring a broke Denham trying to get away from his Kong-related debts and a chance meeting with the guy who'd given him the map to Skull Island, is interesting, although the lightweight style is miles away from the suspense of the original. The second half needed two things: a story and stakes; instead, it plays like a cheap and pointless rehash.

• Mar 22, 2017

Completely unnecessary sequel but on the other hand, why not? it's amusing and technically done on the same level, even though the running time is too short. And the ending.. Why must every single Kong, big or little, die? It's unfair. Minus half-star for this.

• Feb 12, 2017

A great continuation of the 1st king kong movie, This one will be more suited for kids as they could relate to baby kong, but this film has you loving the next chapter to carl denhams story and to redeem himself to what he did to king kong. A really enjoyable film.

• Aug 22, 2016

A sequel released the exact same year to theaters as the original, a feat that that has still not been beaten even know. At just over an hour long, the film is harmless. It adds nothing to any mythos, not that that sort of "universe" building was important in these older movies, but doesn't shit all over the first installment, like some movies these days do. If you liked the original, I say give this a watch.