The Song Remains The Same - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Song Remains The Same Reviews

½ July 28, 2016
From Led Zeppelin's 1973 concert tour to promote their album Houses of the Holy, footage from their Madison Square Garden concerts. Interspersed with this is footage of the band on tour, their private lives and dramatised images of what the songs mean to them. Songs include: Rock 'n Roll, Black Dog, Since I've Been Loving You, No Quarter, The Song Remains the Same, The Rain Song, Dazed and Confused, Stairway to Heaven, Moby Dick, Heartbreaker, Whole Lotta Love.

The greatest band in the history of music, and certainly the greatest ever live band, captured at their peak and in their element. The live footage shows a superbly talented band in full flight, playing with incredible power and cohesion, and highly confident in their abilities and popularity. There's a mystique to the performance - it transcends mere music.

However, reducing the impact of live music is some of the non-musical stuff. The behind the scenes of a touring band and home lives stuff is fine, and gives a good indication of what it must be like to be the world's greatest band. No, it's the dramatisations and symbolic imagery that take the edge off what was otherwise a fantastic movie. They just seem so cheesy and unnecessary.
February 4, 2016
I have been a huge Led Zeppelin fan since I was eight. This film is canon to Led Zeppelin fans, and until the 80s, this was essentially most of the footage that the world was exposed to from the band. They were mysterious and larger than life. They rarely gave interviews and let their music speak for themselves. This started changing when Robert Plant embarked on his solo career in 1982.

The film is the gold standard of rock music films that all subsequent concert movies were measured to. The fantasy sequences are unique and add to the mystique surrounding the band members. Jimmy Page is The Hermit of the 4th album gatefold, actually filmed on the hill behind his Boleskine House (at the time; former house of Alesteir Crowley) . Robert Plant has a beautifully filmed rescue of a maiden in a castle tower. John Paul Jones shows a suspenseful encounter with what ends up being his family. John Bonham is in several personal scenes regarding his personal home life, cars, motorcycles and drag racing hobbies. Peter Grant, the manager is in a gangster shoot-up scene at the beginning of the film.

The concert footage was filmed in New York during the 1973 tour. Some footage filmed at Shepperton Studios was added to the concert footage to improve the overall flow.

The film's soundtrack is a popular live double album. Extended jams show the technical proficiency of the band and its members. Particularly notable is the extended Dazed And Confused, including an Elvis Presley medley of That's Alright and Mess Of Blues. This is gospel for Zeppelin fans. It will be difficult for non-fans to sit through and enjoy.
August 28, 2014
The very best concert Led Zeppelin ever performed, enhanced by various fantasy sequences, Zeppelin at the top of their game.
½ June 8, 2014
Wow Robert plant hasn't aged gracefully but they were a tour de force in concert. The film won't convert you, listen to the remastered albums.
February 27, 2014
one of the most iconic shows in the history of classic rock, well shot dream sequences in between an amazing show, captures a led zeppelin at their extraordinary peak
February 21, 2014
Love watching the greatest band in the world perform! This is my #1 concert to watch on DVD. Led Zeppelin is my soul to music!!!!!!
½ January 28, 2014
A great concert movie padded out with some pretentious twaddle. Worth watching just for the great music alone.
Been a long time since I rock & rolled...
December 31, 2013
Led Zeppelin touring the U.S.A. in 1973. What music fan in their right mind wouldn't want to see this movie ?!
August 29, 2013
The greatest rock concert I've ever seen captured. The music is flawless, the feel is tornadic (That's the adjective version of tornado), and the music is FLAWLESS. If you truly love LZ you will love this. The filmed sequences in between are mostly terrible and the film would be better without them, but it does not matter. This music is so awesome and intense you will forgive it even if the whole video was your parents having sex with the concert in the background.
August 12, 2013
Peter Clifton and Joe Massot direct this concert film / art piece on one of the greatest bands to ever exist in Led Zeppelin. The footage was shot over the course of the last leg of their American tour on the eastern seaboard. These included stops at MSG and Baltimore just to name a few. The concert footage is interspersed with behind the scenes action and random short films each featuring the personality of a different band member. To be fair, Led Zeppelin in 1976 could have done almost anything and it would have been successful. While The Song Remains the Same does not reach the dizzying heights of some other band movies, it is still exciting to see Zep perform and rock such huge arenas. All in all, if you like Led Zeppelin, then you will enjoy this film.
½ July 30, 2013
The Song Remains the Same is a decent documentary. It is about a Led Zeppelin concert filmed in Madison Square Garden, New York. I am not a big Led Zeppelin fan so I thought the documentary was kinda interesting to hear their music. It was an interminable documentary with some good moments after I got done watching the documentary.
July 20, 2013
I have mixed feelings about this film. Led Zeppelin's legendary 1973 Madison Square Garden live show still kicks ass. The "dream" sequences are pretty weird and can get boring for some audiences. These scenes you can tell are trying to be artsy- like and although some are creative and dark scenes, most are just quiet and pretty boring when no music is playing and I can see people not liking the movie. Other parts of the film are just the band backstage talking to each other and their manager, and these parts of the movie seems rushed, like it was added in at the last second, and most of the other scenes feel like this too. Overall, I would only recommend this movie for the hardcore Led Zeppelin fans, but if you don't, you won't have a good time here.
July 20, 2013
This is a fairly odd movie. The "dream" sequences (for the most part) are interesting, but some come off as a bit odd and weird and even boring to some. While I do have mixed feelings about the dream sequences, Led Zeppelin's 1973 at the Madison Square Garden is just awesome. All the songs are performed well with a mix of improvisation and sound techniques. I would recommend this film only for the hardcore fans. But if you don't like Led Zeppelin's music or acid-fest-like-arthouse movies, this is not for you. i personally like it okay, as I said before the live show is a solid 10/10 but the acid sequences can be odd.
½ June 12, 2013
Zeppelin!!!! Woooooo!!!! From Page's violin-bow guitar solo to Bonham's burning gong to Plant's cock bulging out of his jeans, this is truly the Gods of Rock at their mid-seventies best. Oh, man, the tracers on the hermit's staff!! Remember that? Fuck yeah.
½ June 3, 2013
Como testimonio de lo genial que es la Banda, funciona muy bien....Aunque ciertos momentos que fueron grabados para el filme son un tanto confusos y algo pretenciosos aún sin tener presupuesto enorme. Aún así es disfrutable tanto para los oidos como para los ojos con momentos de psicodelia y humor involuntario, aunque si no sabes nada de la banda no es la mejor manera de iniciarse.
May 15, 2013
A strange concert film scuppered by some indulgences whih ruin the other parts of the film.
Firstly it has to be said you need to be a fan of the band before you watch it,i was a fan so i was aware that its had the possibilty to be over indulgent.
Fron the first sequence of manager Peter Grant and the bands tour manager rubbing out a group of business men in an old gangster style ,you know this film isnt going to be Woodstock.
What follows is a film of there 1973 Madison Square garden concert intercut with some very very odd dream sequences which apart From John Bonhams seem to have come from a straight laced Monty Python sketch.
We also get Peter Grant dealing out some great British swearing and the mysterious theft of the safe security box in a New York Hotel .
The dream stuff is a waste of course and what most people will be here for is the music.
In that respect the film works very well indeed with Bonhams drum solo Moby Dick and a staggering 23 minute version of Dazed and Confused being the highlights.
If only the filmakers had included more acoustic based songs such as Ramble On and Gallows Pole then maybe the film wouldnt feel so damn long in parts.
So if you fast forward through the dream bits you will enjoy the film all though Led Zep completists might want to look elsewhere
½ April 20, 2013
I may be a bit biased towards this thing, as I am an enormous Led Zeppelin fan, but still, I don't think anyone can deny that this is a wonderfully done concert film. Within, and between the songs, there are some very odd, but creative segments filmed in many beautiful locations. For Led Zeppelin fans, and classic rock fans in general, this is a must see.
March 4, 2013
I love Led Zeppelin, however, I really dislike this film. I saw it years ago and apparently it was long ago enough for me to have forgotten how I felt about it. I watched it today and forced my way though it. It's basically a concert movie but the live performance is broken up by stupid fucking fragmented segments which are supposed to represent each band member. To give you an idea, the first segment is an old gangster story with tommy guns and molls. WTF? And then when the film returns to the live stuff, it's pretty average. Musically the band are tight and Jimmy Page tears it up but Robert Plant is almost unbearable for my precious ears. On albums he's a God but on stage (at least for this film) he's a whiney, screechy little bitch. His voice is like nails to a chalkboard and I'm sure the cats in my neighbourhood agree. I know that many of you are musos and music lovers of the rock variety and so I'm keen to hear your thoughts about the film. Sadly it does not rock my world!
½ February 17, 2013
Fairly boring concert movie.