A Song to Remember Reviews

• May 14, 2016

Mixed feelings. I love the story of genius (Chopin) and especially the involvement of a second genius (Lizst). There is some wonderful music (although some Chopin, I must admit, I find forced). On the other hand it has the typical problem of old movies: weak acting, conspicuous dramatic devices. As interesting and inspiring as the story would be if there was truth to it, it is apparently all fiction - and I could feel that while watching. Slight thumbs down overall. 4.8 out of 10

• Nov 13, 2015

interesting bio-pic of sorts d/k how historically accurate it is though.

interesting bio-pic of sorts d/k how historically accurate it is though.

• Sep 09, 2014

"A Song to Remember" is supposed to be the life of Chopin but in fact, very little in it is historically accurate. It's still a beautiful, emotional, and sumptuous movie, filled with the heavenly music of Chopin.

John B Super Reviewer
    Mar 31, 2014

Muni made an art out of trying to play everyone. In some cases he pulls it off. In this case he does a disservice to Chopin's mentor and ultimately Chopin himself with a tepid performance.

• Jun 29, 2013

A bit of a strain to watch. Muni is known to put his body and soul into a character but this became more of a caricature.

• Dec 01, 2012

In the movie A song to Remember we have a movie focusing on the composer Frederic Chopin and his struggles to balance his loves between music, George Sand, his teacher and his country. The movie features several moments where the historical accuracy is somewhat questionable, but aside from that music is great and the movie won't disappoint fans of the composer.

• Jul 05, 2012

Mostly dull. Supposedly the history of Frederic Chopin, but not very accurate at all. Much of the movie is pure fiction, in the movie merely for dramatic effect. Performances are mostly poor. Paul Muni is irritating as the fictional character Professor Elsner, and unfortunately gets a large amount of screentime. Cornel Wilde is so-so as Chopin. The only redeeming qualities are the music and Merle Oberon. Oberon is convincing as George Sand, and stunningly beautiful too.

• Feb 24, 2011

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. Very good performances especially by lead Cornell Wilde as the Polish composer and pianist Frederick Chopin. Historically not exactly correct with a lot of Hollywood hoak and cloak to it - BUT also close enough to get a fairly good idea of the composer's life and persona. This was richly produced and finely directed. The music is sumptuious and the costumes are as well. As biopics go from Hollywood during this time period? This is one of the better ones to see.

• Feb 05, 2011

The corn is as high as an elephant's eye, but it's luscious in color.

The corn is as high as an elephant's eye, but it's luscious in color.

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Sep 05, 2010

A nice biography movie about Chopin. I enjoyed it, the actors are good and the story is interesting (weather or not it's accurate, I don't know).