Sounder Reviews

• May 27, 2011

I didn't care for this movie. C

I didn't care for this movie. C

• Dec 12, 2008

Very gripping story about a time in history that to many may seem distant but in actual fact is very recent. Get a chilling look at what life was like for many just a couple of generations ago while also having your heart warmed by the wonderful depictions of humanity. There are no nice white people in this movie and fair enough; there may not have been many of those around, but a bit more gradient a scale would have been appreciated. In the film's defense however white people actually feature in it very little and it is quite a tight story because of the tempo and methodical narration technique so wasting time showing a kind hearted Caucasian person which was a rare find in those days anyway might just have been a huge waste of time. I do recommend this movie because it tells its story from a perspective that I find otherwise scarce in movies in general.

• Jul 02, 2008

Beautiful family, Cicily Tyson, trying to survive in the rascist south around 1900 or so. Excellent Moving, excellent.

• Jun 11, 2008

I read a recommendation of the original and thought that's what I was renting when I got this version, filmed in Ontario only a few years ago. I don't know how it stacks up against the original but this movie is decidedly Mediocre.

• Jun 03, 2008

I read Dan's recommendation of the original and thought that's what I was renting when I got this version, filmed in Ontario only a few years ago. I don't know how it stacks up against the original but this movie is decidedly Mediocre.

• Mar 31, 2008

i was amazed that this movie never did as well as it should have. i was 14 and just starting to be interested in rural blues. someone suggested that i see this movie and i was floored.the story is brutal and beautiful!

• Feb 15, 2008

A cheaply made Disney live action remake that was utterly pointless and lacks the sincerity of the original.

• Jan 22, 2008

this movie was so sad but it was an overall good movie

this movie was so sad but it was an overall good movie

• Jan 03, 2008

it was ok not the best though

it was ok not the best though

• Dec 27, 2007

Very sad, but great film! Disney did an awesome job of remaking this film!

Very sad, but great film! Disney did an awesome job of remaking this film!