South Pacific - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

South Pacific Reviews

March 16, 2016
Probably the most bizarre musical to ever be called a classic.
February 24, 2016
Roadshow Version (14 extra mins. with Intermission also)
Old Hollywood musical which mildly tackles racism.
No-one seems to be in control so that the message is for the most part lost. Too stagey (just look at the last scene!) Highlights are the musical numbers and the setting. Otherwise, forgettable.
Not one character really gains our sympathy. Bloody Mary's match-making of her pubescent daughter is hard to accept. Emile has killed a man for obscure reasons. Cable and Nellie's redemption from their racist attitudes is hardly convincing.
Btw, why is it Cable who sings You've Got To Be Carefully Taught? It would have been correct at that stage for Emile to sing it, as the person who has been most affected by racism. Cable's change of heart happened without any exposition at all (I realise it's a musical!)
August 31, 2014
What's with all the colors?
August 3, 2014
(First and only viewing - 8/22/2011)
½ June 6, 2014
Even better when you've just returned from your honeymoon in Kauai, where much of 'South Pacific' was filmed.
March 22, 2014
thx flixter another lost review
½ February 10, 2014
Definitely not my cup of tea. But then, neither is 'The Sound Of Music, 'Carousel', or such modern musicals as 'Mama Mia'. I knew I would not like this film going in, but I was still interested in seeing it. And it's not a bad movie in the slightest. It has some fantastic set-designs and real location settings; the character-based humour is actually quite modern and easy to laugh with; the quality of the sound recording sometimes seems a little off, and Mitzi Gaynor's dancing skills are questionable, and Rosanno Brazzi's operatic voice completely jars with his female counterpart. But there are some quality songs that I hadn't heard before and am still trying to get out of my head. 'South Pacific' is as cheesy as musicals can get. But word has it that people love these classic musicals for that very reason.
January 29, 2014
Never really drew me in, but at least I know what the show is about and have a point of reference for some songs.
½ January 16, 2014
For 1958 this film was remarkable and justifiably rewarded. Today it simply appears as a time-worn cliche, as out of place as an old western that you just roll your eyes at. Much of the music is timeless and beautiful, and as a love story it can truly pull at the heartstrings. All in all, however, it seems very contrived and dated.
January 10, 2014
I thought the stage show at the crown theatre in Perth was better
½ September 15, 2013
While certainly not substantial enough for some, South Pacific is a classic Rodgers and Hammerstein screen adaptation with great performances and a surprising amount of depth.
September 1, 2013
It's good, but it could've been so much better. The cimenatography isn't the best and the actors seem to be holding back rather than letting go.
May 22, 2013
South Pacific, starring the beautiful, sensuous and sexy Mitzi Gaynor, is a musical of the war time period and takes place in tropical locations. The 2 dvd collection is pleasantly designed though there is a lack of creativity during the long orchestral prelude (black screen as the music plays) and during the intermission.

Mitzi is a lovely and creative nurse, Ray Walston is a soldier who wants to escape for recreation and ends up on a diversion during a secret mission and there are soldiers, nurses, villagers, islanders in this ensemble based on the play that is based on a book.

Ray has two jarring scenes during a musical number but most of the musicals, if dated, have a charm about them but especially the ones featuring Mitzi on her own or with a partner(s). It could be said that this is a story about love and war, how love may survive or become a casualty of war (as we see when the spurned but faithful lover of a soldier comes to the nurse to ask about him -
the soldier having died on a mission).

A lovely, heart warming, heart breaking story. 10/10.
April 11, 2013
The wartime South Pacific depicted here is populated by youthful Americans, the most emotionally sensitive of whom are seduced by Orientalist visions of an exotic paradise. Also dwelling here is a European expatriate, less naive than the Americans but with complex and very personal ties to the place. Locals live here too, of course, but they are viewed, intentionally, through the imperfect lens of foreign observers. The film's style vacillates between that of a mainstream movie musical and that of a more abstract work of cultural criticism; it is entertaining and intellectually satisfying, perhaps especially for those who have some familiarity with the subject matter.
½ March 6, 2013
- I have to be in the right mood to watch this. It's one of those movies that I watch only once every 5-10 years.

- Stew Pot's voice is crazy low!

- The color changes are weird, and they use it WAY too much!

- Some of the songs are slow, and I don't really enjoy them as much.

- Emile is handsome, I used to not think so. I used to think he was old, and I liked Joe better, but Joe is kind of scrawny. Emile seems like he would be a passionate lover. Guess my taste in men has changed.

- This is the first time I've understood the storyline!

- I think Joe's singing voice is dubbed. It is too different from his talking voice.

- The Happy Talk song makes me laugh! The hand gestures are silly.

- Joe bugs me! He is engaged to a girl in PA, and he totally forgets about her! He is also racist! He thinks he can just make out and who knows what else with this Polynesian girl, but he hate the idea of marrying her and having children with her! Racist player!!

- Honey Bun is my favorite song in this movie! I laugh hysterically every time!

- This movie has it's moments, but overall it is kind of tedious and boring.
½ February 18, 2013
I love bloody mary...see it for her sake!
½ January 31, 2013
A very thinly plotted film with some great songs & gorgeous scenery. I can see why this film is the hit that it is, it's very showy & pure escapism.

The was a thin story line of Head Nurse falling for a french man on a island of the South Pacific and his input against the Japs to aid the war.

I found the film enjoyable but not really meaningful with over long songs that could have been more plot, a fun splashy musical.
January 27, 2013
Excessive and distasteful. No amount of amusing lyrics can save this one.
January 27, 2013
Watch the original theatrical version(with intermission and off-color!). So good!
December 25, 2012
Long, boring and the colour tinting is distracting.