The Spiderwick Chronicles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Spiderwick Chronicles Reviews

January 14, 2018
Charming adaption of the series of children's books, with a marvelous cast and wonderful specials effects. Enjoyable for the whole family.
November 4, 2017
With visual dazzle, unflinching thrills, and emotional reality, this is an underrated American fantasy adventure done right, if you ignore its occasional over-exposition.
October 8, 2017
This movie was a lot of fun with some excitement and suspense. Great movie for pre teens.
September 19, 2017
Absolutely the best movie I have ever seen in my entire life
September 15, 2017
it is awesome and cool
½ September 10, 2017
I never read the books so I wasn't tied down to that, but it was an entertaining enough kids movie with a side order of creepy at times.
September 9, 2017
The problem with cramming multiple books into one movie is that everything feels rushed. The Spiderwick Chronicles is no exception. But this is still a fun family adventure with just enough tension to make younger viewers uneasy, but not freak them out. It's kind of sad this movie didn't do better at the box office.
August 13, 2017
A pleasant children's fantasy that has disturbing and frightening things that look like a mix of Gremlins and toads. The plot and special effects make up for the cast's wooden performances.
July 21, 2017
This was my childhood
April 22, 2017
Efeitos especiais lvl. 1000
½ March 3, 2017
As a movie about children and the drama, it's an ok movie but as a fantasy, it lacks any sense of fun, making the tense moments completely shallow and ultimately uninteresting.
March 1, 2017
Neat little movie. Well done in all aspects. They need to make more movies like this.
February 4, 2017
This is a fun, entertaining movie that adapts the books well and doesn't really have any major flaws. While some of the acting can be improved and there are some unnecessary side characters, "The Spiderwick Chronicles" is an overall good time with an interesting story. This is one that you might wanna check out if you have an Amazon Prime membership, and is worth your time.
½ December 17, 2016
Remarkably efficient in weaving multiple mature subjects.
½ December 4, 2016
The Spiderwick Chronicles is about two brothers, an older sister, and their mother who is swamped with them wanting to go with their dad and her having to take care of them because their dad does not care, and during this time one of the brothers go out exploring in the nearby woods and get's more then he bargained for, finding different types of fairies and creatures who are both dangerous and friendly. This movie actually really surprised me (although it is far from the novel, I don't judge movies by the books).It was not only a good family movie but wasn't well directed and didn't slack out or be sloppy in the needed parts of the movie, really enjoyable, fun movie. My only problem with this movie was a bit of a nitpick, but the acting wasn't the best and some of the CGI was a bit lame, all that aside it's worth the watch.
November 12, 2016
Release Date: 2/15/08
½ October 29, 2016
Fun, imaginative, and never boring, this movie is a solid kids flick that child-at-heart-adults are sure to enjoy!
½ October 9, 2016
An imaginative journey that kids will have a ton of fun with.

When the Grace family moves into an old family house, strange things begin to happen. Things can be heard scurrying through the walls and noises can be heard outside, all that lead to the discovery of a book. When the young boy finds this book, he unknowingly unleashes an evil. It's up the three kids to discover the word living among them in order to protect the world they live in.

I remember watching this as a kid in the theaters and I actually remember being scared of it. I don't know why, as this movie wasn't meant to be scary, but I still remember enjoying it as a kid. 8 years later, re-watching this film, I didn't enjoy it as much, but I still had some fun with it.

Freddie Highmore was actually a great lead. In a movie like this, if your child actors aren't strong, the entire movie falls apart. Highmore managed to lead this film and actually put on a great performance. He brought the emotions and made himself a rootable protagonist. He's a conflicted kid learning to grow up and face the troubles life will give him. As he plays two characters in this movie, I actually found that to be the most impressive part. As for the rest of the cast, honestly, they all falter. Except for the voice actors, the rest of the human cast was mediocre at best. No one else really did that good of a job and if anything, they weren't good enough.

The animation in this movie is a hit and miss for me. I guess it's the fact that these children are interacting with these animated characters, but it just wasn't working for me. Yeah, the animation was good enough and kids will find it to be fun, but they start to look dated after a few years.

The screenplay was actually pretty solid. The story was this fun, imaginative ride, even if it did have a few bumps in the road. The sequence of events were nicely paced but there were some moments where it felt convenient or implausible. However, the dialogue was actually pretty good. The interaction between the characters and the actually script was well written and made up for some of the weak points in the story.

The movie does go a tad bit deeper into the story, specifically with the relationship between Jared and his Mother. I like that they added that little layer, even if kids won't really understand it. It's such a small part though that unless you're in a similar situation, you probably won't feel very attached to it.

In the end, this is a fun movie for kids and a fun, imaginative adventure overall. It's a solid flick and one that is well written and decently acted.
½ September 25, 2016
I think what makes "The Spiderwick Chronicles" worthwhile is its exciting third act and poignant ending. Up until that point, I thought this was just another well-made, slightly-scary-for-young-kids fantasy film with above-average visual effects and I wasn't really into it. But then, it took a surprisingly poignant turn and gave the story some thematic depth, and with the fun action set-pieces combined, it ended up being very enjoyable. It's a fun movie.