Spies Like Us Reviews

• Jul 15, 2019

I do not know how people don't live this movie, it may be nostalgia talking but Chase and Aykroyd is so pleasing. Some minuet problems but other wise a perfect experience.

• May 17, 2019

Spies like us is cleverly directed by John Landis and stars Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd. The highlight for me is the hilarious scene where Chevy ( Emmet Fitzhume) and Aykroyd ( Austin Milbarge) are taking the Foreign Service Board exam. This movie is classic comedy with Chevy bumbling and goofing his way through each scene and Dan playing it straight. Donna Dixon, Frank Oz and Terry Gilliam co-star in this ridiculous cloak and dagger comedy.

• Feb 26, 2019

o me, this is absolutely one of the best of its time. Full of clever jokes, hilarious gags and great comedic timing, it shows Aykroyd and Chase in their prime. I cant begin to tell you what a comedic gem this film is and its rather sad that not many people are aware of it. This is one that rewards multiple viewings and with each one you will find more and more fun bits throughout. To this day I havent looked at an abandoned drive through theater the same way, you ll know what I mean when you finally watch the film. https://latetothegame.blog/2018/12/13/key-movies-of-my-life-spies-like-us-1985/

• Feb 01, 2018

A classic 80's comedy. Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd are trying to be spies during the height of the Cold War era. It's a funny movie.

• Dec 31, 2017

A really hilarious film. I love it so much.

A really hilarious film. I love it so much.

• Oct 11, 2017

Spies Like Us is in a long line of 80s comedies that feature screw-ups accidentally getting an important job despite themselves. For some reason this was never one that I got into my regular rotation growing up, so it doesn’t have as much nostalgic draw as other films of the same style. It is definitely one of those movies where the creators beg you to just go with the flow and accept that highly illogical stuff will happen and no one will bat an eye. It’s not quite farcical comedy, but it’s riding pretty close to that line. Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd are totally funny together, and each embrace their characters and the humor of the situation. I’m never sure why these two guys form a strong bond with one another, but it works for the sake of the story, and I always end up liking them. The big flaw in Spies Like Us is that it couldn’t commit to how seriously it was going to take the story. At times there is some action and even some perceivable drama, but then they start cracking jokes and making light of the idea of nuclear war. They either need to take it super serious and allow us to laugh at the juxtaposition of silly things happening with huge stakes, or take it super silly and remove any sting. It makes the movie just a bit conflicted and takes it down a peg for me. But Spies Like Us is definitely good for some laughs and I will watch it anytime I catch it on TV.

• Aug 17, 2017

The film has some very funny moments (particularly in the first half) but then meanders around without a real purpose. Dan Akroyd and Chevy Chase both have distinct characters set up well, but the film then fails to utilize their talents. Like Chevy's truly divine gift for bullshit, which quickly decays into just a willingness to sell out at the drop of a hat (although the "we'll take a finger for every lie you tell" "whose? Yours or mine?" line was played really well). Or Akroyd's super tech abilities, which spontaneously appear only occasionally.

• May 02, 2017

From the very start I hated this movie. The jokes were lame. After this movie Chevy Chase's career took a major nose dive.

• Dec 26, 2016