Spirited Away - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spirited Away Reviews

July 27, 2016
Spirited Away is the most inventive, thrilling, harrowing, beautifully told animated film of all time. This movie will hold up 100 years from now thanks to the beautiful hand-drawn animation that is a standard for every Miyazaki film.
July 26, 2016
This film is one of one of the most creative, most interesting movies I've ever seen. It's so well-written, so well animated, so imaginative. I love the story, characters, musical score. Everything is perfect. Chihiro is such a lovable character. She's whiney but you understand what she's going through. It's a creepy, dangerous place she's in, but she's very brave and tries to survive. I also love the other characters like Haku. He's very helpful and kind, and the relationship between him and Chihiro is very enjoyable. I was really happy when he finally got his identity back. What's also good about this movie is that there's no straight up villain. Yubaba is simply rude and mean but an interesting character. The voice acting is also great. Daveigh Chase does another great job. In the end it feels so good when Chihiro reunites with her parents after all the madness. I really love the designs of the characters, especially Yubaba. The only teeny tiny little problem with film is that Yubaba's twin sister Zeniba looks exactly like Yubaba. With all the creative designs in the film they could've made her look different. Other than that, this is Studio Ghibli's best film hands down. Creative and genuine with lovable characters and unbelievable imagination, Spirited Away is a true masterpiece.
½ July 22, 2016
I love this movie, i really do
Well animated, with a lot of beautiful visuals and creativity, with charming characters and a inteligent, but still, strange plot
Defenitly a must-see
July 14, 2016
An adventure in the truest possible sense, my favorite film of Hayao Miyazaki, the man who made me fall in love with Anime. Well, mostly his own, that is.

This is one of Hayao's best animations and, I believe, the best to meet him with. It's all there. A courageous and relatable young female. An enchanting mix of urban and legend. Top-notch animation, full of color that's not lacking in personality. Enticing conflict, high stakes, and three-dimensional antagonists. And, above all, absorption into a fictional world jammed with all sorts of monstrous characters having their own humanity. It all keeps you at this mesmerizing state of mind. It all feels familiar, distant, absurd, scary and magical, all at once, all the time.

There's few films I'd recommend as passionately and universally. I think many, even those who wouldn't expect it for a (Japanese) animation, will find their own enjoyment in this masterpiece.
June 25, 2016
By a wide margin my favorite Miyazaki film.
June 23, 2016
when i first watch spirited away it was an amazing adventure of a lifetime i got to admit this is amazing
June 19, 2016
I think I need to watch it again...
June 17, 2016
Spirited Away is a great movie for children and gets even better when you re-watch as an adult because you get to enhance your understanding of Miyazaki's life lessons and better appreciate his artwork and story.
½ June 13, 2016
Spirited Away is an engaging tale about the coming of age and growing up, filled with values and themes that adults can understand and children can enjoy, doing it all with Miyazaki's excellent writing and beautiful animation.
½ June 13, 2016
A simple story told through such an original visual execution, 'Spirited Away' answers the question I never knew I wanted to ask; what would it be like if Lewis Carroll grew up Japanese?
Gorgeously designed, impressive and sometimes creepy visuals, good pacing and a strong moral underpinning of rising above greed. Comes highly recommended.
June 1, 2016
Absolutely memorizing. It was seeing one work of art after another. A long movie that doesn't last long enough. A bizarre and strange movie that seems logical and possible. The ratings I saw were off the charts and I see why. Incredible.
½ May 26, 2016
So very dazzling. The best hand drawn animation I have ever seen.
½ May 19, 2016
89%
Saw this on 06/06/2013
Spirited Away is the first anime that I am watching and this film is nothing like anything that I have seen before. I really liked the story and charm, of the entire work although this film is a bit overlong ranging up to 2 hours+. I liked most of the things in this film, but the ending could have been much deeper and well explained.
May 13, 2016
Few animated films -- any film for that matter -- achieve the level of visual, narrative and musical cohesion, the level of story, character and world wonderment, Miyazaki delivers with Spirited Away. It's poignant, powerful stuff, and he captures it all with the ease and command of a master filmmaker. It remains one of his finest, if not the finest, and continues to stand the test of time, proving itself as absorbing today as it first did in 2001.
April 27, 2016
"Spirited Away" is Hayao Miyazaki's masterpiece.
April 26, 2016
I'm trying to imagine a person who wouldn't love this movie, spirited away to a subconscious, fairy-tale dream world with mystery night trains crossing flooded plains, giant boilers heating a castle full of strange creatures, and a little girl's efforts to stay human through all of it. This is my favourite animated film ever made.
April 23, 2016
Exellent film, deep story and super animation fuck the computer animation this is what its about