Spirited Away - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spirited Away Reviews

January 15, 2017
Never have I seen a film more imaginative. Every character feels real because none of them are perfect, and no one character has a sole personality trait.
January 7, 2017
Spirited Away offers beautifully handcrafted pictures, thought-provoking story with sublime symbolism and enjoyable tone for audience of all ages. Thoroughly deserved to be one of the best-rated animation film of all-time.
½ January 4, 2017
Truly a visual spectacle to behold; the animation is crisp, and the plot is magical and gripping. However, it lacks the deeper meaning that its storytelling and style would lead you to expect.
½ January 3, 2017
Spirited Away is one of the most imaginative works of art in modern times with its beautifully made animation and well-contrived themes that will certainly lead into a hopeful future of intelligent films.
January 2, 2017
It's like watching a whole lot of you're reoccurring dreams come together on screen just the way you imagined.
December 30, 2016
Masterpiece = 5/5

Spirited Away is one of the most incredible animated films of all time. There's absolutely nothing I don't love about this movie. As visually captivating as it is endlessly entertaining. Indeed, Spirited Away will go down in history as one of the greatest works of art in the anime genre (and film) of all time.
½ December 26, 2016
12.27.2016: Prob one of the worst movies I have seen.
December 18, 2016
Full disclosure: I do not watch a lot of anime and am not really familiar with Japanese mythology.

A storyline that made me feel both sad and uncomfortable. Characters that I connected with but also feared. A unique 2D drawing style intermingled with what seemed like 3D modeling. Vibrant and appropriately selected either way. Dynamic scenes had some sort of flow to them so the movie never felt static. Overall, this film felt like a distant dream I had on LSD that resonated through my bones and tingled every emotional thread I have. I can't say I loved the movie, but I did love everything it had to offer.
December 17, 2016
The story isn't much, but the visuals are beautiful.
December 12, 2016
So wonderful this movie found me when i was ten
½ December 9, 2016
A great, great animated film with amazing animation, the creatures in this movie are beautiful to look at. Spirited Away had great themes, and turned out to be more than your typical animation.
December 9, 2016
This is not only my favorite anime movie, not only is this one of my favorite animated movies, this is one of my favorite movies of all time(period)
December 9, 2016
While it has a lot to say, it takes too much time saying it. Full of scenes that don't particularly progress the plot, the characters all seem one note and aren't the most appealing when considering how much time is actually spent focusing on their problems. Its animation is great, and it's bolder than a lot of other animated movies, which is commendable, but its sense of humor is awkward and I never found it to be anything more than just a generic movie about life as a kid being tough used as a metaphor for adult themes.
December 5, 2016
From childhood to post-college, this hit me on a very personal level, as I believe it will for many audiences from generation to generation. Hayao Miyazaki creates a wonderful film with colorful characters and wonderful animation to boot. A lot of horror imagery that immediately evolves from spooky to interesting. Chihiro is a character who serves as a great reflection to many an outsider, while the world around her changes faster than she expects. Through her eyes, the film takes on lost identity, rite of passage, and excess. The movie is easy to sink your teeth into, but it holds more of an impact than you'd expect.
December 4, 2016
This is by far the best movie of all time
December 1, 2016
Once I started to flow into this masterpiece. My head was like blow up immediately. The story and visual were so inspirational, yet still so imaginative and full of magical lurking in all the sence of movie. Such a powerful and unforgotten work of art. I assure this movie will never fade away inside the audiences hearts
November 30, 2016
A classic. Great story and a soundtrack i can't stop listening to, even to this day <3
November 28, 2016
Spirited Away is a great film that has a little something for everyone.
November 17, 2016
This film is one of one of the most creative, most interesting movies I've ever seen. It's so well-written, so well animated, so imaginative. I love the story, characters, musical score. Everything is pretty much perfect. Chihiro is such a lovable character. She's whiney but you understand what she's going through. It's a creepy, dangerous place she's in, but she's very brave and tries to survive. I also love the other characters like Haku. He's very helpful and kind, and the relationship between him and Chihiro is very enjoyable. I was really happy when he finally got his identity back. What's also good about this movie is that there's no straight up villain. Yubaba is simply rude and mean but an interesting character. The voice acting is also great. Daveigh Chase does another great job. In the end it feels so good when Chihiro reunites with her parents after all the madness. I really love the designs of the characters, especially Yubaba. The only teeny tiny little problem with film is that Yubaba's twin sister Zeniba looks exactly like Yubaba. With all the creative designs in the film they could've made her look different. Other than that, this is Studio Ghibli's best film hands down. Creative and genuine with lovable characters and unbelievable imagination, Spirited Away is a true masterpiece.
November 13, 2016
Packed with the best recipe for an animated movie, 'Spirited Away' tells a simple story of a stubborn girl called 'Chihiro' who then learns everything about pluralism of the world.