Spirited Away - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spirited Away Reviews

April 2, 2018
C+. It was entertaining and cute at times, however there's a lot that didn't click with me or downright disturbed me. I hated the "relationship" between this 10 year-old girl and an old dragon river spirit (???). Lots of metaphors and hating fat Americans too. I just didn't appreciate it much.
March 28, 2018
One of the Greatest anime films ever made and possibly one of the coolest storytelling ever.
March 18, 2018
Spirited away is a wonderful movie, that is able to teach you and deliver many messages no matter how many times you watch it. It is about a girl named Chihiro, who is moving into a new house but her parents turn down the wrong road. She ends up losing her parents and traveling the spirit world alone with a boy named Haiku and a girl named Elizabeth to help her and look for her parents who have turned to pigs. The main point of spirit away is how good conquerors evil. Spirited Away is a extraordinary, movie because it is able to express different emotions throughout the movie, Although different scenes can be a little intimidating, the graphics are extraordinary and are able to capture a very detailed panoramic, with a beautiful artful balance between terror and joy, and each character if just filled with so much personality and not treated as a 2 dimensional object. However it can be breathtaking, it can also be so intense at times that your heart seems to stop and then rest go into a resting pace again.
Some scenes in Spirited Away can be very intimidating at times, such as being a young girl who has to face a crowd of jangling, wildy variegated horde of frogmen, river-dragons, nameless ooze-beasts, radish giants, and above all, the witch Yubaba, A huge-headed, bejeweled monstrosity who steals names and memories. Chihiro (who is the young girl) has to face these horrifying monstrosities, which make her believe at first that she is dreaming, and has to eat spirit food so she does not have to disintegrate with the spirits yet. She is at a young age she, and really should not be the one to suffer from her parents doing, Luckily she is able to have friends that are willing to help her along the way. This captures such an amazing tale of how one little girl can go be strong and courageous just because she wants to save her parents. (Not only does she want them but she needs them.)
The graphics in Spirited Away are extraordinary, It really shows how Miyazaki (The producer) is able to portray wit and playfulness and charm mixed into the proceedings. The cool part about it, it is all hand drawn and then it is all digitised. "Yet it has a dazzling quality, which has a fleetness and lightness in the way that switches from the close-up on a deft little sight gag or a sweet character observation, sweeping out for a breathtaking panorama of an extraterrestrial landscape imagined with passionate detail and specificity. The whole film in a way felt as if it all was a dream and that is seamless. It flows without any effort from scene to scene, from emotion to emotion straight from tragic to comedy. This shows that it took a long time to actually create this masterpiece, before they digitize everything they have to hand drawn the characters and their amazingly detailed surroundings, which probably took them awhile to put so much detail into one paper and then making a movie out of it with perfect meaning and fantastic graphics, it is just mind boggling. This is why Spirited away is one of the most mass appealed and was one of the best animated movies that was able to win the top prize at the Berlin festival.
This Breathtaking movie puts so much personality into characters that even little things that you can treat as objects have a personality of its own. Spirited away is adjusted for all audiences especially american audiences. Spirited away's breath and heart, gave it the appeal that should touch all american viewers. This film is able to truly transport their viewers outside themselves-- or deep inside. But even the small soot balls in the film have a personality and are their own characters. Even though some things like soot balls you wouldn't think you could give them personality but Miyazaki (The producer) is able to think outside the box and give objects and things there own personality and make the movie a lot more Child-like and puts a little bit more character into each of his characters he comes up with which really brings this horrific movie together, without him this movie probably would not have been such a great success.
This film is so captivating, yes some parts of the film can be intimidating but this brave young girl is willing to risk everything to save her parents. The graphics are superb, each picture was hand drawn with a lot of detail and then digitized which is why it was considered the top winner of the Berlin festival. Each character was not treated as 2 dimensional, the characters all have their own little personality including the small soot balls that would carry the lumps of coal into the fire with their small little arms and legs. Spirited Away is such a wonderful and moving movie in so many ways, each scene flows so seamlessly, without abrupt stops. There are times in the movie where you can cry and not feel like an idiot, because it is such a work of art that is able to pool a lot of meaning into this movie.
March 6, 2018
Wow, this movie hasn't even really started and I can tell it's already going to be beautiful. I love the artwork in this movie. Miyazaki's use of spirits is always inspiring and wonderful. All these different creatures are so interesting to watch how they interact with each other.

Those black fluff balls are so cute. Seeing the inner workings of the bath house is mind boggling. There's so much that seems to be going on. This movie is about a lot of things. But mainly it's about a girl who is becoming independent and mature.

There's some really well thought out original ideas in this movie that are just really inspiring. I loved the whole metaphor of the big slime creature who came and got washed up. It turns out he was overly materialistic and greedy stocking up on all these things he didn't need and in the end after he got washed up, he left a clean spirited man, leaving all his gold and possessions behind.

That whole concept of the spirit train really hit me when I saw all these working class spirits getting off I guess to go home. And then I got to thinking, maybe in the afterlife, some people continue working and never go to paradise. It was a pretty haunting thought. Just like always, love trumps all can fix any situation. The mouse and the bird characters were so cute. And seeing the difference of how the two witch sisters live is a very important thing to note, because in the end it dictates there personalities. Hearing that the guy's voice of Haku is the same one who does voices in Skyrim, was great. I can't help but feel kind of worried for Chihiro, given that her life doesn't seem like it's the greatest since. Her parents don't seem to care too much. But knowing that she's still protected by the hair tie they gave her, is a nice touch and a great way to end the movie.

Overall, amazing film. One of the most beautifully animated films ever to come out. Once again, Miyazaki and his team took me on another wonderful cinematic adventure filled with joy, humor, charm, and important lessons in life. This is a great movie about a girl beginning to blossom and get out of her shell and become a teen.
March 5, 2018
My number 1 favorite movie if all time!
February 24, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
February 20, 2018
A brilliantly bizarre and captivating world is realised in an animation that also manages a strong storyline, memorable moments and powerful themes.
February 18, 2018
One of the best animated films of all time, Spirited Away tells a story that captures your imagination just as much as it captures your heart.
February 11, 2018
I watch this still today, at least once a year, its still amazing and it always will be.
February 2, 2018
Along with Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro, this is yet another nostalgia-triggering Miyazaki film that I still enjoy from time to time and fully appreciate everything about it. What a creative world. What a lovable characters. All hail Miyazaki.
½ January 25, 2018
Excellent Japanese cartoon that has so many colorful and interesting characters that it will keep you wonder for weeks after you watch.
January 23, 2018
With amazing animation, Miyazaki's 'spirited away' is without a doubt the best film I've ever seen in my entire life.
December 28, 2017
An Outstanding Work and Most Likely The Most Remembered From Miyazaki´s Work, Spirited Away Dpesn´t Have Any Flaw, You Will Be Astonished By Everything; The Vissuals, The Story and Above All The Message It Leaves, Which Will Echoes Probably Till The End Of TIme To Every Person That Sees It
December 8, 2017
Very clever Japanese movie.
½ December 7, 2017
L'opera migliore del maestro Miyazaki.
Atmosfere suggestive,animazioni splendide ed ambientazioni estremamente curate.Per una storia fantastica e surreale che appassiona lo spettatore.
December 4, 2017
Miyazaki's masterpiece. Everything from the story progression, character introductions, the music, the theme, the sense of adventure, awe, magic, and enchantment is...beyond perfection.
November 27, 2017
Miyazaki's masterpiece. A fun and complex story.
November 17, 2017
Visually & Artistically Breathtaking
½ November 10, 2017
The most ridiculously stupid movie I've ever seen. But I think that about all Asian animation so...
November 9, 2017
Beautifully animated and thoroughly enticing, Spirited Away marks a peak of creativity not just for Hayao Miyazaki but for cinema as a whole.