Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Reviews

½ January 17, 2019
Just a poorly written movie that serves no purpose whatsoever. Advances nothing in the saga whatsoever. Should be considered Disney's first "Legends" Star Wars movie...

This movie is the Casino scene of the franchise...not needed and pretty useless.
½ January 17, 2019
Admittedly this is the only film review I have written to date, but this is not a 'fake account' - I have just never felt so strongly about a film before. This is because this isn't just a bad film. It's not even a bad film in a franchise. It's a bad film which does serious damage to the franchise it is part of.

The first major complaint is that we still don't really understand what the situation in the Galaxy is, and this makes it hard to become absorbed in the film. The First Order are supposed to be the remaining die-hard supporters of the Emperor who have been banished to a remote part of the Galaxy, yet they seem to have more resources than the Empire when they ran the entire galaxy. The 'resistance' are the military of the New Republic who until recently had the resources of the galaxy at their disposal, yet seem less well equipped than the Rebellion of the originals. We also don't see assimilation of Imperial technology by the New Republic which is odd. Although the Force Awakens is responsible for getting the franchise into this situation, the situation was not irrecoverable. Had it transpired in this film that the First Order had put all (or most) of their eggs in one basket with the Star Killer base and that the rest of the New Republic's military were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, then it could have all made sense. However, this film just digs the franchise deeper into the hole. The very first sentence of the opening crawl states that the First Order reign, but this isn't a logical development from TFA - or at least we've missed some crucial events in the story which the opening crawl should have alluded to. Later on, the opening crawl even contradicts itself by talking of a rising tyranny. Are the First Order ascending, or are they ascendant? How come the First Order are so powerful and the New Republic so weak? If you're expecting answers to these questions, then your expectations will be subverted.

The second major complaint is the vandalism of the Star Wars universe. A lot of what happens in Star Wars doesn't make any sense in terms of laws of physics, but there are rules which were already well established in Episode 4. These rules may have been subsequently embellished, but they were never broken and this is crucial for a suspension of disbelief. With this film, we see the arbitrary introduction of new Jedi powers, and the weponisation of the jump to light speed which effectively invalidates every major space battle which has gone before it. Not only does these moments of Deus ex Machina prevent suspension of disbelief in a way which pulls you out of the movie, they also introduce inconsistencies with other Star Wars films.

Other things pull you out of the movie too - badly timed jokes which ruin any tension, sub-plots which go nowhere, contrived situations and so many 'gotcha', double-gotcha and triple-gotcha moments that it just becomes tedious.
These are only the things which make this movie objectively terrible. There are then many other aspects to this movie - especially relating to how characters are treated, portrayed or behave which are divisive at best.

Overall, I have a lot of difficulty rating this film - it is visually stunning, the score is fantastic and it looks like a lot of talented people have put a lot of effort into it. Unfortunately, it's just let down by the story - the overall narrative hangs so loosely that the movie just feels like you're watching a 5 year old playing with their toys. Worse still, the damage this film does oozes into the wider franchise.
½ January 17, 2019
Went to see twice, it tried to hard to be funny and scenes could have been cut that didn't make sense.
January 17, 2019
Bots still trying to bring audience scores down...lol! this film rocked and you have to be paralyzed from the neck up if you think there are plot holes or no character arcs! No...you lazy, hating fan-boys have this felt need to have everything spoonfed and explained to you..especially when its staring right in your collective faces. Rian Johnson is brilliant, an obvious lover of the franchise, and pretty much the only one since the original trilogy who was actually consistent with characters, their arcs, and the mysteries of the force.
And if anyone nitpicks about how bombs should fall in space (uhum tie-bombers in TESB anyone? You sure didn't nitpick then haters!) or using lightspeed when on empty to destroy a fleet (screw yourself if you didn't't think that was awesome to behold) or surviving in space is impossible or how nothing was scientifically possible...uh yeah!! This is Space Fantasy not science-Fiction or science to that! From the start, Star Wars was nothing more than Wizards in Space. Old guys with glowing swords. Green lizard dude floating rocks about. Giant slugs in asteroid fields, and all sorts of crazy creatures having a drink at a cosmic pub. And a mysterious energy that binds them all and allows some to do amazing things! If you can buy all that, then you really need to quit griping about the small idiotic things. When you're griping over stuff in a fantasy film to that minutia, you're automatically seen for what you are when suspension of disbelief is a must! You're simply sheeple and parroting others whose hypocritical gripes over this film are more prominent in other Star Wars films that they claim to love! And because of that, it makes you really look stupid. Especially with your Leia Poppins comments! OMG, this is the first time in where we see the force so strong in her that she finally gets to showcase just how strong. Up until that moment, all we saw from her was her feeling something in the force and then...sitting down. Whoa! Here, she's a badass! And It didn't require Jedi training only an instinct to survive and to use it in a way that saves her life. Why is that sooooo hard to comprehend or accept? Na...haters be damned. TLJ is quite the film and worthy of its place in canon.
½ January 17, 2019
Star Wars: The Last Jedi tries something new, executes it poorly and ultimately fail. The film is a big mess with too many subplots not doing much in terms of the main goal of the movie, in which it doesn't even really have one. The Last Jedi is more of just a bad filler. Score: 4.9/10
January 17, 2019
Hands down second best star wars movie of all time. So sad that mindless fanboys can't accept that they don't own the franchise and that the series deserve to evolve and have new stories and interesting twists
January 17, 2019
Terrible. Used to love Star Wars, this movie made me no longer interested in Star Wars at all.
½ January 16, 2019
What an ugly mess and mesh up of old star wars scene (the one of rey kylo ren and snoke in the throne room above all). There is no plot, Luke die with no reasons and the final looks like more to a prequel for the rebellion beginning. no mention on how the humor implemented was totally not requested and Snoke is the most stupid villain of all times. Great imagery, but that's it. It continues the raping of the saga started with Episode 7. FU Disney, I would really like to get my money back
½ January 16, 2019
Pure, absolute garbage. Critics don't know what they're talking about, the fan ratings say everything.
½ January 16, 2019
Rian Johnson has ruined Star Wars. I'ld rather watch the prequel series that I now have a new appreciation for. The force awakens was alright but The Last Jedi does it no justice. Shame on disney for allowing this franchise to go down this way.
January 16, 2019
They basically took everything from force awakens and shit on it just to prove a point that all your fan theories were wrong
½ January 16, 2019
This is such a masterpiece, it's so amazing that I believe it's the best of the sequel trilogy
January 16, 2019
Comment edited from original...This movie grew on me. I loved how the SW ladies take a huge step up. Visually stunning, cute animals, and still demands respect, The Last Jedi was good.
½ January 16, 2019
I am very saddened to see star wars die like this. Shame on you Disney.
½ January 16, 2019
A disappointing mix of horse, goat and pig excrement piled together.
Bring back George Lucas.
½ January 16, 2019
Stupid movie. Liked The Force Awakens, and wanted to see it's story continued, but alas, nothing is answered. SPOILERS:
Snoke dies
Rey's parents are nobodies
Luke attempts murder on a teenage boy
Luke dies

Hated the movie, will not be supporting Ep. 9. Sad
January 16, 2019
Too smart of a film for the haters and even smarter than the sad bots who are "still" creating fake accounts to pull audience scores down. This is a new level of sad and stupidity. This IS the Star Wars movie I never knew I always wanted to see! It's perfect in its themes, expanding on the mysteries of the force, and taking the character arcs forward. This was fun, harrowing, intense, and surprising! A film that explores deep layers of our old heroes who triumph at the end solidifying their place in mythology, while truly passing the torch to our new heroes whose story have yet to fully unfold. For those who like to think and are not afraid to explore this universe a tad more, Rian Johnson gave us a brilliant, rich layered Star Wars film, while reminding our LOVE for it because its so much larger and so much more than formulaic light saber duels! Thank YOU!
January 16, 2019
This movie is not a bad movie. It's not great, but not bad. People make it out to be worse than it actually is. Pros: Luke/Rey/Kylo story is incredible, VFX are probably the best I've ever seen, amazing cinematography (nice, Johnson), and most of the old actors give it their all (Leia, Luke, and even Yoda!). Cons: Boring second act involving Poe, Finn, and Rose. Rose is easily the worst character since Jar Jar. I won't complain about Holdo, her acting's pretty solid, but the character is way too untrustworthy. Other than that, I genuinely like this movie. Give it a watch, ignore what others say. Even me. You can make your own opinion. But, I think we should all hold judgement until Episode IX, when we will get answers for everything. Until then, I'm excited for the next journey in the galaxy far, far away.
½ January 16, 2019
Total demonization of classic characters. Changes that would have saved this movie and made it amazing to me, even better than TFA are: 1. Tell everyone Rey is a Mary Sue because Anakin's lightsaber passed on all of Anakin's previous force abilities, sort of a passing of the torch, but that she can't control them and needs Luke's guidance and training. 2. Show that the same ability to communicate cross galaxy between Rey and Kylo was done in the past and that's how Snoke influenced Ben Solo to join him and have that be the reason Luke pulled his saber out. 3. Have Carrie Fisher have a respectful ending by having her sent into the vacuum of space and cut to her using her last moments of life to reach out to her son through the force and tell him his mother still loves him, that would have made me cry like a baby because it would have added so much weight to Kylo's struggle and also be the perfect send off for Carrie. 4. No pointless side quest for Finn and Rose unless it isn't completely pointless and full of SJW propaganda. 5. No Holdo maneuver, just have her lightspeed in the opposite direction drawing the First Order away from the resistance as a final act of bravery. 6. Show more of Snoke! Or at least give us an end of movie scene like in Xmen Origins Wolverine where Deadpool grabs his own head so we have something to look forward to. 7. Show the Knights of Ren at the end of the movie gather around Kylo, again to give us something to look forward to. 8. Don't give us "Luke cut himself off from the force and that's the only way we could explain his not saving Han or being involved in TFA", instead show that he couldn't come to their aid because his Xwing was busted beyond repair and show an emotionally driven Luke who felt everything they went through and saw his friend die but couldn't do a thing about it. I don't mind him having some doubts and showing some resistance to joining the fight, but at the end of the day Luke (even an unhopeful Luke) always saves his friends and family, example Empire Strikes Back he dropped his training despite warnings from Obi-Wan and Yoda to save Han and Leia at Cloud City. So as cool as the Snoke room saber battle was, it'd been 10x cooler with Luke and Rey struggling to battle Snoke and Kylo. Anyway, I have about a dozen other ways to make the movie a 1000x better seeing as how this is the worst Star Wars ever (in fact Ryan Johnson just hand the reins over to me next time, you can still put your name on it, I just want good Star Wars) but I'll end my post here.