Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Reviews

½ July 10, 2018
Not sure how this mess could have been worse. I could point to the overall sad sack attitude by Luke vs. his hopeful, heroic performances in the early days. Then there's the meaningless storylines that do zero to advance any plot (master codebreaker?, wtf?). I could mention the fact that there isn't a villian who is remotely scary. Compare geriatric loser Snokes to Vader, the emperor. Heck, even Boba Fett was more intimidating. The main characters were nearly all annoying. Rose is the Jar Jar Binks of TLJ. This steaming pile was literally a poke in the eye to Star Wars fans and Lucas himself. Rian Johnson should be beaten severely.
July 10, 2018
the 10 minutes snoke was in the film for and the protorian guard fight and luke tricking kylo its kind of worth it and i hope snokes not dead thats like killing palpatine in the second film
½ July 10, 2018
I entered the start of the movie with an open mind, but man was this movie bat$hit crazy. I couldn't help but smirk when Princess Leia awoke from death while floating in space and started to magically fly. I couldn't help but laugh when Luke Skywalker is portrayed as a literal man cave dwelling, heavy handed metaphor for the fanbase. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at every scene with commander menopause, purple hair and the "out of control, irresponsible, meat headed fly boy" Poe. I was ready to like this movie and wanted to, I really did, but injecting the film with so much agenda driven identity politics was HUGE mistake. And this is coming from someone who calls himself a democratic socialist.

If this is the future of the Star Wars series, then no thanks. I like my sci-fi to be as far from the current political landscape as possible.
July 10, 2018
Wasn't feeling this movie - it tried to do way too much with too many characters and too many plot lines. The whole Finn/Rose story could have been dispensed with - it was a distraction. Characters weren't developed or written well enough, so we never got to lilke them or care about them. Classic case was Vice Admiral Holdo - a good actress is given a vanilla role, no character build up, and killed off. Same for Snoke's character - great potential there for a good story, but it is thrown away. Characters we know are poorly written by people who don't have any affection/affinity for them - i.e Luke Skywalker. If this movie is the best the Disney/Kathleen Kennedy team have, lets have the decency to call George Lucas out of retirement for the final film. He could re-make the inframous Holiday Special with a cast of Gungans and it would be easier to watch.
July 10, 2018
I've never rated a movie on this site before, but I hated this movie so much I felt the need to create an account just so I could rate this film one star.
½ July 10, 2018
Why not a fanatic, I have always been a Star Wars fan and was really looking forward to the Last Jedi. I avoided all spoilers and went to screening just a few days after it was released.

Unfortunately, despite trying to remain positive throughout the viewing, ultimately I was left hugely disappointed. For me the movie was totally superficial. A good looking movie that lacked any real soul or depth in either the story or the characters.

That was the real problem for me, Star Wars or any good movie has always been character driven for me. I feel a connection to the characteristics and become invested in their story. The Last Jedi had the opposite affect on me. Characters that I had been interested in like Rey, Finn and Poe and even long time favourites like Luke Skywalker came across as quite plastic and to be honest almost unlikeable. By halfway through the movie their story had little suspense because I no longer cared what happened to the characters.

After watching the movie I was quite interested in others opinions and was quite surprised by the positive reviews that it received from critics. Especially reviews that praised it for it's originality and for taking chances. I know it tried to shock at different stages but it came across as being cheap and gimmicky rather than anything of real substance. In fact I wished that they had followed through with some of these scenes. They could have made some of these characters more compelling maybe even making Kylo Ren a formidable villain.

Overall the movie was just disappointing or as some of my friends put it a 'lemon'. i do realise that half the viewing population loved the movie and to those people more power to you in fact I feel a bit jealous because I wished that I enjoyed it as well but I can't recommend this movie as anything more than a B movie time filler.
½ July 10, 2018
A bastardisation of a good Trilogy that pays no respect to its legacy or what made the original films the lasting epics that they are.
This killed star wars for me.
½ July 9, 2018
Garbage. Rian Johnson totally destroyed the Star Wars universe.
July 9, 2018
This movie is an absolute piece of trash. Horrible Star Wars movie, id much rather watch the mediocrity that is the prequels, at least they had world building, character development and pushed the plot forward with every movie. This garbage on the other hand seemingly abandons good story telling for shock value and twists. Congrats Rian Johnson on your writing, great plot twists too bad you had to make a terrible movie to get them on screen.
½ July 9, 2018
Has it's moments, but overall, is a big disappointment. Doesn't give much deserved answers to some very important questions. And kills off characters when we're just starting to get invested in them.
July 9, 2018
I finally saw a star wars movie I actually liked. I was pretty comfortable with nearly everything and I thought that the director along with the crew did a fantastic job. I studied art and read some books (unrelated to star wars), and I was honestly in the right mindset to watch this movie. I really enjoyed it because my family and I had a good time watching this film. It's a movie about family and philosophy and it might or might not stand the test of time, but I approve of the films message. thanks guys.
½ July 9, 2018
What the hell has happened to Star Wars? This movie was horrible.
½ July 9, 2018
Was an insult to the Star Wars Saga, particularly Luke.
July 9, 2018
Saw the movie twice in the cinema. After seeing it a first time and feeling very underwhelmed, I went back to see if there was something I was missing. The "critics" were raving about this brilliant reinvention of Star Wars. Nope. The movie is pseudo-intellectual, postmodern garbage. Ryan Johnson has to be the most overrated director in Hollywood. It is like he wanted to show everyone how smart he was by unravelling the longstanding use of Joseph Campbell's hero motif in Star Wars story telling. Yes, visually movie excels. But peel past this veneer and you will discover that the plot meanders, the scripting sucks, the character arcs are regressive, and the film is out of kilter with previous Star Wars films, including its immediate predecessor the Force Awakens. Even if JJ Abrams left an inconvenient bunch of "mystery boxes" such as who are Rey's parents and why did she have visions when she touched Luke's original blue light-saber, just cant pretend they weren't there or dismiss them. Worse of all, courtesy of Johnson Luke Skywalker has been reduced from hero to loser. Why? Because according to Johnson everything is contextual. There is no real good or evil. If, like Luke Skywalker, you hang around long enough you will realise that the hero's journey is pointless and what is old becomes new again. So the inevitable option is to give up. Confusingly however Rey becomes some kind of hero without ever really earning the right. How does she become a jedi master with almost no training. Particularly if she is a "no body"? This is not a renewal of the franchise. Even ignoring its unnecessary inclusion of antifa politics, the film's "let the past die" philosophy is is an arrogant and disrespectful junking of tradition and the many fans bought up on Star Wars pop culture. Maybe many of these fans are "man babies" and maybe we should quit calling what are really just laser swords "light sabers". But if your agenda is want to destroy fantasy and pop culture beware the consequences. Many of us simply wont watch Star Wars anymore.
½ July 9, 2018
poor writing. boring a lot of wasted storylines, movie seams to be long for the sake of begin long so much of the movie seamed like filler
July 9, 2018
THIS IS MY FINAL REVIEW OF LAST JEDI AFTER WATCHING THIS MOVIE TWICE. THERE WERE ELEMENTS THAT LAST JEDI DID WELL. IT WAS VISUALLY STUNNING, AND HAD THE RIGHT LOOK FOR A STAR WARS MOVIE, GOOD SETS, CINEMATOGRAPHY, AND ACTING. MARK HAMILL, DAISY RIDLEY,, ADAM DRIVER, AND JOHN BOYEGA ALL DO A GOOD JOB. THERE IS ALSO SOME GOOD ACTION SCENES, AND THE LAST 45 MIN IS NON STOP RIDE. HOWEVER, THERE WERE SOME WEAK SPOTS, ASIDE FROM THE STRANGE LEAH MARY POPPINS IN SPACE SCENE THAT IS. I FELT THE MOST WEAKNESS CAME FROM THE STORY AND PLOT. THE WHOLE SECOND ACT OF THE MOVIE SEEMED TO BE A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME AS THE CODEBREAKER IS USELESS AND ACTUALLY ENDS UP DOOMING THE REBELLION IN THE END. POE ALMOST SINGLEHANDEDLY TAKES DOWN THE REBELS WITH HIS BAD DECISION MAKING. TOO MANY QUESTIONS FROM FA WAS JUST IGNORED, AND IT SEEMED AS IF IT COMBINED BOTH EMPRE STRIKES BACK/RETURN OF JEDI INTO ONE MOVIE. FAN DEBATES; I CAN SEE BOTH SIDES TO THE LUKE ISSUE, IS HIS CHARACTER INLINE WITH THE OPTIMISTIC LUKE OF THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY? WHILE THIS LOOK IS INTERESTING WITH THE DARKER CYNICAL EDGE, COULD A MORE OPTIMISTIC LUKE STILL GIVEN A CRITICAL ANALYSIS OF THE FAILURE OF THE JEDI WITHOUT BECOMING A COMPLETE RECLUSE. LASTLY, THERE IS THE COMPLAINT OF POLITICS, I CERTAINLY DON'T SEE IT, IN THIS POLITICIZED CLIMATE IT IS NO SURPRISE PEOPLE ARE READING POLITICS INTO THIS MOVIE, BUT THE ORIGINAL STAR WARS WAS ALWAYS AGAINST DICTATORS AND AUTOCRATS, AND THERE IS A GOOD MESSAGE THAT ANYONE CAN BE A FORCE USER, HEART NOT BLOOD LINES MATTER. NEVERTHELESS, I THINK THIS MOVIE SUFFERS FROM A WEAK STORY LINE THAT LEFT ME WONDERING WHERE THE THIRD FILM WILL GO
July 9, 2018
The best part of this movie is the production value. It looks good. As stills frames, the movie is fantastic.

Unfortunately, the plot and characters are dead on arrival. The best characters are Rey and Kylo Ren and they have some interesting moments.

Everything and everyone else is poorly written and confused. None of the plots make sense. None of the character motivations make sense. The film contradicts other Star Wars and also itself.
July 9, 2018
One of the best star wars films ever made period. it develops the established characters, puts luke skywalker in the best most realistic place he could be in his life, disregards all the unnecessary characters that were introduced in the last film and, most importantly, it takes a major dump on prequel fanboys' expectations
½ July 9, 2018
One of the worst movies I have ever seen. A complete disrespect to all the SW lore. Maybe Rian Johnson belives SW is some sort of Marvel movie. Just special effects and childish stories. Who knows if he just intended to create a mockery of the entire franchise.
½ July 9, 2018
Worst star wars movie ever. Phantom Menace is a masterpiece in comparison to this mess.