Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Reviews

August 29, 2018
Perfect Star Wars from start to finish. Most of the people who don't like it are stupid entitled butt-hurt babies who don't like anything.
August 28, 2018
The story constantly defied expectations. The best part was the interaction between Kylo Ren and Rey.
August 27, 2018
This movie is outstanding in so many ways, not the least of which is that it takes chances and delivers genuine thought provoking surprises.
It was just as satisfying the second time around and I hope weathers as well as the original trilogy.
The Last Jedi has given the sequel trilogy life that hadn't existed.
August 25, 2018
I think this one is much closer to IV in terms of the characters' dialogues and humorous elements. I cannot give the original cast less than 5 stars anyway, and the newbies were good studies of the ethos. Of all the the new cast for VIII, I found Gleeson's Hux character the most compelling. Whilst I understand the issues raised by the 'decanonising' petitioners have merit, it's still viewers' tastes and preferences, rather akin to Martin Luther's contempt for St James' Epistle. There's a higher Force at work behind the scenes.
August 24, 2018
This film is enjoyable for non-star wars nerds. This film is apparantly not worth a star wars film for those fanatical nerds. If you are not one of these, you will enjoy this film like I did.
August 22, 2018
Great movie. Let the haters cry about not getting the movie they always wanted. Go read the Legends material, quick crying. This movie is great.
August 22, 2018
Probably the second best Star Wars film.
August 21, 2018
Great Film, setting up a great third episode
August 18, 2018
The last jedi is one of the best star wars movies yet. I don't know why so many people hate it. Don't listen to the haters the last jedi is a great film you should go see it and it belongs in the star wars franchise.
August 16, 2018
Even though it is not as great as The Force Awakens it is still a great addition to the Star Wars franchise. I loved addition of the new characters. The return of Mark Hamill as the iconic Luke Skywalker was fantastic as well as a nice end to his character. The cinematography was very nicely executed. The writing, story, and screenplay were all spectacular. The visuals, action scenes, animatronics, and puppets were gorgeous especially BB-8, R2-D2, Yoda, and the Porgs. The costumes, makeup, and hair were beautiful. I loved all of the new creatures in this one especially the Porgs. The acting was stupendous especially Daisy Ridley, Mark Hamill, John Boyega, Kelly Marie Tran, Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver, Carrie Fisher, Anthony Daniels, Laura Dern, Billie Lourd, and Domhnall Gleeson. Frank Oz and Lupita Nyong'o's voice over performances were great. Also John Williams musical score was amazing. R.I.P Carrie Fisher the best Princess ever. A+
August 15, 2018
I thought this was the best out of all the movies. It made me laugh, brought me to tears, took me back to my childhood excitement and love of Star Wars. I have seen it four times already. All of the actors did amazing jobs. The special effects, the character development and all the unexpected choices Rian made were glorious.
August 15, 2018
As good as the original trilogy.
August 15, 2018
A wonderfully nuanced Star Wars story filled with action, drama, emotion and conflict. I loved it.
August 14, 2018
One of the best Star Wars movies I've seen. It rivals Empire at this point.
August 12, 2018
This movie is a cinematic masterpiece and I feel nothing but sorrow for the poor souls who don't see it.
August 12, 2018
5 stars for special effects---taking 4 off for the complete crap story and breaking canon.
August 8, 2018
I love this movie - it has action and surprises at every turn! Also, the characters in this film are so complex and interesting. Well done, would definitely recommend it!
A
The Last Jedi will polarize Star Wars fans into two groups: those who want to hold onto the past, and those who are willing to, as Kylo Ren says, "Let the past die," while still loving and respecting the franchise's history. If you are the latter, then you will love The Last Jedi. I have been a Star Wars fan my ENTIRE life. I've seen every movie hundreds of times (not an exaggeration). I can quote all the lines and I know all of the random background characters (Grizz Frixx or Willrow Hood anyone?). I passionately love the franchise and everything it has been, but without the trailblazing new directions from master filmmakers like Rian Johnson, our beloved franchise will eventually die. With The Last Jedi, Johnson creates the most character driven Star Wars film of all-time. It is also the best directed Star Wars film to date. Johnson crafts gorgeous scenes with breathtaking color and a constant sense of awe. The action in the film is also marvelous. Lightsaber combat has the same raw grit of the Original Trilogy, while combing the impressive choreographed sequences done in the Prequels. The acting is also second to none in The Last Jedi (a shocking feat considering Harrison Ford's absence). Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher are as great as ever, but Daisy Ridley, and in particular, Adam Driver, are incredible. The Last Jedi is exactly what all the cast and crew have said: different. Don't go in expecting a nostalgic recreation of The Empire Strikes Back. Expect to be surprised, and enjoy what is placed in front of you. Overall, The Last Jedi is an excellent film. It may not be Star Warsy in an Original Trilogy sense, but like the Original Trilogy, these new movies have pave their own way in order to stay relevant and keep the audience guessing, and Johnson smartly cares more about story and character than worrying about appeasing to fan nostalgia. If you want to see Empire, go rewatch it at home; you will always have that film, but with The Last Jedi, Star Wars fans can once again expect the unexpected.
August 7, 2018
Watch it a second time. This is a masterpiece.
August 7, 2018
"You failed your highness, I am a Jedi like my father before me."

When I was a boy, watching Return of the Jedi on VHS, I began to realize I was watching something more than just a grand spectacle with action and adventure. By the end of that film Luke Skywalker saves the day, not by blowing something up or wielding a light sabre. Instead, he throws his sword away and sacrifices himself. He does something that most cinematic heroes do not do. He forgoes violence and puts his faith in the humanity found in the destructive and corrupt monster he was meant to slay. Learning that the entertaining action film I was watching was also a story of forgiveness and redemption, left a mark on me at a young age. I believe it is why my love of the Star Wars films endured into my adulthood.

In the Last Jedi, Rian Johnson also succeeds in his attempt to create a movie that was more than just an adolescent spectacle. He does give us a film with desperate space battles, wondrous creatures and emotional duels with laser swords. However, he also takes the time to create an unexpected journey for each of the main characters. In this film the reckless hotshot doesn't get to be the hero with a foolhardy act of youthful bravado that ignores the costs of war. The hard-driven general, who has always been the strongest soldier no matter what the cruel galaxy takes from her, finally feels the burden of all she has lost. The survivalist learns why he must sacrifice. And in this saga, the villain and the hero are left with no clear quest or mentors to guide them.

The film ends with Luke Skywalker saving the day in a unique and unexpected twist that upon reflection is very familiar. Like in Return of the Jedi, he does not use his laser sword or grab or push something with the force. But instead, through an act of sacrifice and faith, he inspires a new galaxy of heroes and redeems himself.

The Last Jedi did not go the way I thought. It was a more complicated, daring and complete film and it will hopefully leave a mark on young fans for a lifetime.