Stealing Harvard Reviews

• Mar 16, 2019

Jason Lee works well as a leading man in films and works well with Tom Green's obnoxious performance. Many people probably do not want to see this movie because Tom Green has a role and people may think it is like Freddy Got Fingered but trust me it is far from that. Tom Green made me laugh in his performance and if you liked his MTV show then you will love him in this. Jason Lee does not use his performance from his previous films such as Mallrats, Chasing Amy, or Dogma but takes it from his Romantic Comedy A Guy Thing and uses it well here.

• Feb 14, 2017

Hilarious. Absolutely loved it. People don't know good comedy on this website

Hilarious. Absolutely loved it. People don't know good comedy on this website

• Dec 03, 2015

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy some aspects of Stealing Harvard. The overall premise wasn't bad (I'll get back to that) and I enjoyed Jason Lee's performance but some of the comedy felt flat and - ugh - damn you, Tom Green! Average joe John regrets a promise he made years before to his niece that he would pay for her college tuition - he finds himself in between a rock and a hard place when she gets into Harvard, John and his awkward buddy Duff resorting to crime to get $30,000 all whilst John tackles money spent on a dream house, the cops, and his boss/father in law growing more suspicious of his actions. Stealing Harvard is far from great but honestly isn't terrible. Sure, the acting kinda sucks, with the exception of Jason Lee, who captures the averageness of his character decently. Tom Green is the elephant in the room. His character, aside from his typically terrible performance, is awkward and unfunny, typically making most decent scenes ruined with idiotic dialogue. His character's schtick isn't even clearly stated - it's a cross between nerdy and awkwardly weird. John C. McGinley's character as a tough as nails(ish) cop is a mystery, as well. The film wants to, at times, make his character a main antagonist but can't make its mind up on using John's father in law or McGinley's character, who enters the film way too late to even be a major character. The story is decent but many opportunities could have strung from it and the same overall premise with a different setting outside of a college atmosphere has been done to death before. The comedy can be overall flat and a little immature but isn't anything too terrible, unless it's Green or McGinley. Stealing Harvard gets a bad wrap - it's far from great but it's not awful. It's dumb and some areas are noticably bad, but there are far worse comedies (especially in Green's resumà (C)) than Stealing Harvard.

• Jun 26, 2015

Anything with Tom Green in it just is not worth watching and I wish I'd have figured this out before this stinker.

• Jun 15, 2015

A movie about a man with a low wage job who resorts to petty crime in the hopes to fulfill an old promise to beloved family member. Throw in a childish man who lives in a cucco's nest and you have two characters that show great chemistry and can produce quite a number of laughs. overall , fun movie

• Mar 08, 2015

I was always annoyed by Tom Green at the height of his popularity, but something about watching this today was really fun and nostalgic. It's a pretty typical comedy full of fart jokes and people getting kicked in the crotch, but if you're in the mood for stupid comedy, this is a pretty good bet.

• Feb 11, 2015

Jason Lee makes a promise to his niece that he'll pay for her college and decides stealing is the only way he can afford it. This comedy fails most of the time but since Tom Green doesn't rely on gross out humor, it's worth watching.

• Dann M Super Reviewer
    Apr 29, 2014

Tom Green and Jason Lee team up for the incredibly stupid goofball comedy Stealing Harvard. When John Plummer's niece gets into Harvard he's reminded of a promise that he made to her to pay for her college tuition, which leads him to seek the help of his friend Duff, who devices a series of schemes to get the money. Co-starring Leslie Mann, Dennis Farina, and Chris Penn, the film has some impressive comedic talent. But the script is awful, and the actors are unable to make the material work (despite their best efforts). A buddy comedy gone horribly awry, Stealing Harvard is a mass of stupidity.

• Apr 25, 2014

I know most people hate this film, and I suppose I can see why. However, I personally liked it a lot. Although there's not much reason for the story and it is just a mashup of a bunch of funny ideas that are put into scenes, it actually has some really good bits. There are tons of quotables and running jokes in this one too. The humor in this film is found in the little things. Duff's mom, Elaine's gift baskets, Uncle Jack, John's lawyer, the non-sensical jokes. For a 13 year old boy this movie is gold, and for an avid moviegoer this film seems dumb and pointless. Well, it's definitely dumb and pointless, but that's the point. You might have to watch it a 2nd time to really understand it. I've seen this film 4 times I think, and I still enjoy it. I know it doesn't make much sense because we all know that the events in this film would never happen and the way the characters handle them are so unbelievable. And considering the ridiculous script, the acting is pretty impressive. The direction is kinda weak and there's almost no character depth, but if you take this film for what it is--an asinine farce--then you won't end up hating it quite as much. Twizard Rating: 79

• Mar 17, 2014

Better than some more well known films but stills lacks character development. Plot holes throughout ruin the possibility of enjoying the film.