The Story of Ruth Reviews

• Nov 26, 2017

AWESOME MOVIE!!! I HAVE WATCHED THIS 3 TIMES AND PROBABLY WILL AGAIN. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE STORY, SCREENPLAY AND THE ACTING IS SUPERB!!! tHEY JUST DON'T MAKE 'EM LIKE THIS ANYMORE!!!***

• Jan 08, 2017

The Story of Ruth is an amazing film. It is about a Moabitess priestess Ruth who is drawn both to a Judean man and to his talk of a forgiving God. Stuart Whitman and Peggy Wood give incredible performances. The script is well written. Henry Koster did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. The Story of Ruth is a must see.

• Jan 31, 2016

Well written, good acting for newcomer Elana Eden. Decent supporting actors---look for Viveca Lindfors, Peggy Wood, Tom Tryon, Thayer David, Jeff Morrow.

• Dec 30, 2014

Henry Koster got the this simple story in the Bible ALL wrong, disappointing!!! #FXMovieChannel

• Jan 03, 2014

another biblical epic aka sword n scandal flick

another biblical epic aka sword n scandal flick

• Dec 13, 2012

Love this version! LUV U B BLESSED

Love this version! LUV U B BLESSED

• Nov 18, 2012

I enjoyed this movie a great deal. I cannot recomend it enough to my friends, family, and total strangers.

• Feb 10, 2012

This could have been a better done film. The film adds to the biblical story of Ruth and changes some of the narratives from the Bible. Through all that, it's enjoyable to watch. It was film for CinemaScope. It gives the look as an epic but I wouldn't classify it as an epic film. Over all, this film doesn't dissuade from the Bible's message and for all that I would watch it. www.what-to-watch.com

• Lukas M Super Reviewer
    Nov 06, 2011

"Fine retelling of the story of Ruth." If you're familar with the book of Ruth, you'll know that most of the characters are dead from the beginning. Therefore, liberties had to be taken to give the audience a grasp on Jewish and Moabite culture. Henry Koster does a very good job filling in the gaps--nothing hokey or heretical--and when Ruth joins Naomi, the film gets into the meat of the story. Elena Eden (who looks a lot like Haya Harareet from "Ben-Hur") has a pleasant Jewish accent and does an exceptional job as the pagan-turned-believer. She displays love, faith, beauty, devotion and courage and you don't wonder why Mahlon and Boaz fell in love with her. Peggy Wood plays Naomi with a sense of faith and conviction and Viveca Lindfords is paticulary good as the sinister high priestess of Chemosh. The pacing is a little slow for modern audiences, but all in all, "The Story of Ruth" is a sweet, heartwarming film that hits the highlights of the book and deserves to be included in the group of sword-and-sandal epics who do their job well.

• Jun 06, 2010

When I was younger, my entire family and I would watch this a lot. I'm pretty sure my Grandmother has seen it more than anyone on the planet. Probably the only Bibical film I enjoyed.