The Stuff - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Stuff Reviews

May 1, 2016
two extra stars for insanity and for starring garrett morris, michael moriarity and paul sorvino haha
½ February 17, 2016
So appallingly awful that it doesn't even work as a commentary about the kind of crap that people ingest without knowing what it is, and so it is only trashy, nonsensical, with a ridiculous sense of humor and terribly directed by someone who clearly has no idea what mise-en-scène is.
January 17, 2016
Would be shame if all the stuff is dropped there.
10/10 - would drop the stuff and call the police again
December 29, 2015
Painfully inane and crushingly dull, The Stuff attempts to be a commentary on our susceptibility to advertising, and how it can make us literally eat up anything we're told to. But what results is just another dime-a-dozen piece of silly sci-fi camp. Edited with all the dexterity of Edward Scissorhands, scenes end completely abruptly, and the film jumps around so much that it quickly becomes hard to follow. It really shouldn't, considering how thin the plot is. The acting is standard B-movie fare, the effects are cheap, the green screen shots are ridiculous to the point of weeping hilarity, and the whole thing just makes no sense. I know a film that features an animate comestible as it's primary antagonist is never going to be considered a masterpiece, but is it too much to ask that it's at least consistent? Why does the substance move quickly in some instances and slowly in others, especially when rapid movement would be to its advantage? I never thought that killer ice cream could have the same lack of urgency as a Bond villain.
I've seen dumb movies that I've enjoyed, even loved, but The Stuff is too dull, too clumsy and too poorly assembled to count as entertainment. If you don't laugh at the awful animatronics or the terrible performances, then it could just be the longest 90 minutes of your life.
November 18, 2015
Looks like a silly horror film, however it's actually a very clever and subversive comment on our attitudes towards fast food.
½ August 12, 2015
Interesting premise, with a well marketed desert product and some nice disgusting special effects. My only problem is the acting; nobody can really sell it, except the lead boy. To be fair, people aren't watching these types of films for their brilliant acting.
July 2, 2015
"wild 80s cult film about homicidal yogurt"
May 8, 2015
Like the product in the film, The Stuff leaves you hungry for more. Larry Cohen's zany look at consumerism in the 1980's wasn't a box office hit when originally released but it became a cult classic, managing to still hold up these many years later. While Dawn of the Dead took an external look at consumerism in the 1970's, The Stuff went internal, literally. Overall, it's not a particularly good film in the sense that it's well acted and gripping. What makes it entertaining are the oddball performances mixed with unusual dialogue, as well as the special effects which sometimes venture into schlock territory. It's also memorable because of how much it beats you over the head with the effects of consumerism on society, and how we will all basically fall for anything if it's marketed well. The Stuff, as a substance, is basically a disgusting white goop that is taken straight out of the Earth and put on store shelves. The point of the film is that even with something like that, our naiveté will always triumph over good sense. With obvious allusions to Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Larry Cohen's masterpiece of cheesiness is a sci-fi horror comedy classic. Like Dawn of the Dead, the overall theme of the movie never overrides its fun factor. Nowadays, films like it spend too much time making their point that the entertainment value is often lost in the process, which is why movies like The Stuff hold up much better. And while it isn't a movie that's quite deserving of the title "so bad that it's good," it's of a similar ilk and fans of movies like that should find this one to be a gem.
April 1, 2015
The other great Larry cohen Horror movie.
this one rips the American Consumer dream to shreds as victims are devoured by a mysterious addictive white gloop from the ground called the stuff.
Only Michael Moriarty in his usual Lowlife role and Paul Sorvino as a right wing Mercenary can save America from the evil corperate empire making the Stuff.
First saw this film when i was a kid and like all Cohens films its little seen but has more wit and Imagination than any of the recent big horror films.
If you ever see one film about killer food make sure its this one
March 11, 2015
Oh, not bad. The acting isn't spectacular, but the concept was cool and original for its time. Not much else to say.
½ February 12, 2015
Okay so this horror flick isn't scary, it's not supposed to be. It's meant to be a throwback to 50s campy sci-fi flicks.
January 5, 2015
I feel like this is finally what Alex has been talking about for so long, the "cartoon that knows it." The Stuff embraces its inherent absurdity with verve and eagerness. It doesn't buy into the idea that having a stupid plot means they have to make a bad movie. Moe Rutherford is a dramatic comedian in the vein of like a Dale Cooper or even Peter Sellers, if not half as extreme, and his scenes have a wonderful off-kilter humor.

The writing is clever in ways that bigger and classier genre movies rarely achieve. Moe goes through this weird evolution from mercenary industrial saboteur to James Bond action-hero lady-saver to consumer advocate. He recruits a deranged McCarthyist colonel into leading his troops to fight the Stuff and they all take taxis into town. And while the Stuff seems like an obvious satire on processed food (taking out the steps between petroleum coming out of the ground and dangerous mind-altering food products hitting the shelves) it never feels like The Stuff has any interest in even talking about that. If it did, they probably wouldn't have had consumers burning it after a single health warning on a local radio station :s

The only shit thing about this movie is how much gratuitous misogyny and weird racism it shows. Moe just randomly starts dating one of his leads, a marketing exec who is initially portrayed as decisive, but then constantly dainty-lady-runs her way into mild conundrums and demands constant rescuing. He calls her "a pretty little thing" at least twice. Then Colonel Gromly or whatever can barely contain himself from physical violence against the one black character. We're clearly meant to pity him for his shortsightedness as well as his racism, but in mocking him the movie seems to overlook the inherent racism in Chocolate Chip Charlie's character.

Problematic bits aside, The Stuff is a tremendously fun and clever movie. Thanks Erik!
½ December 15, 2014
Another awesome cheese fest by Larry Cohen. This time he tackles mindless consumerism with the help of Michael Moriarty and something bubbling out the ground that looks like killer yogurt. You have to love the work of Larry Cohen.
December 9, 2014
I actually would've never heard of this film until James Rolfe, who is known as the Angry Video Game Nerd, talked about this and said that he enjoyed the film. Seeing that it's on Netflix and is about to expire, I basically hurried up and watched it. The Stuff is a good film that was honestly not scary at all. The characters are decent at best, but forgettable, except for Chocolate Charlie Man who is really good. The effects are good, but then there's some that looks obvious and dated. The plot is good and interesting, and the acting was not bad. It does go into themes of shopping and obsessive which are really good. It has problems for sure, like a lack of common sense, and questions that weren't answered. If you are a horror fan, I'd say go give it a watch. If not, then The Stuff might not be for you.
November 14, 2014
Man har ju sett många flummiga skräckfilmer genom åren, men denna tar nog priset! haha
"Vi gör en film som handlar om yoghurt som attackerar och dödar människor"
November 3, 2014
A yogurt-like substance bubbles out of the ground with plans for world domination....a hot new dessert product is sweeping the nation, but how can a 0 calorie treat taste so good?...A corporate saboteur & a young boy become suspicious and uncover a dark conspiracy behind America's obsession....

As the Blob was to the 1950's Red Scare, The Stuff is to 1980's consumerism. This movie has a great concept and is filled with wonderful commercials & marketing that really defines the era, but that's about it. The lead character is so blasé in tense moments that the movie itself becomes innocuous. Thus the "jump" moments are horrific, without being particularly scary.

The movie has a great throughline about questioning what we put in our body and not to always listen to higher authorities. These are still common themes today, but now more mainstream thanks to the internet. This might be a great horror movie for an 8-year old to watch for all the above reasons. The films strength is corporate-America conspiracy theories, but ultimately John Carpenter's They Live did it better.
October 13, 2014
Fun mix of "The Blob" and "They Live" going on here. The FX are great and I am left with the urge to binge on a container of Marshmallow Fluff as the movie concludes. Paul Sorvino joins the film towards the end and proceeds to steal the show. Worth the watch.
October 8, 2014
A creative and fun b-horror movie. It's very self aware, and at first I was worried it might get tiresome when trying too hard to be funny (I was kind of worried when Garrett Morris was one of the top billed stars), but fortunately they didn't try to do too many jokes and let the ridiculous material shine for itself. Though, there is one joke near the end that hit the mark and had me laughing. It was at the radio station when they turn it on to see what is playing.

Anyway, definitely a worthwhile watch for people who love movies like Killer Klowns or Critters.
½ June 27, 2014
You know what surprised me most about this film? Hell, it's not even the silliness around the film's plot, which is purposely goofy. It's Michael Moriarty's surprising comic timing. It's not even the best comedic role in the film, but he does have his moments. Perhaps I'm most surprised because I was used to seeing him in Law and Order, thanks to my mom who is a big fan of the show and I always caught her watching the reruns, and that show is always super serious. It always seemed to me that he probably wouldn't have done well in comedy. Granted it helps that this movie is obviously tongue-in-cheek and purposely absurd. But Michael Moriarty was actually pretty funny in this film. With that said, the most memorable part of the film is definitely Paul Sorvino, the right-wing, nut job soldier. He's incredibly entertaining in his small role. While the film is certainly entertaining enough for what it's aiming to be, I just felt that something was lacking. In some parts it almost seems like the film is trying too hard to be silly and goofy. That definitely works against it in some parts. But there's also some very, surprisingly, social commentary on drugs in this film. It shouldn't be any surprise to you if you end up thinking about drugs like cocaine and the incredibly addictive nature of some of these really hardcore drugs. In that regard the movie is pretty intelligent all things considered. It's just not a movie, that in spite of its relatively short running time, isn't consistently entertaining. I still enjoyed watching this, it's just not what I would consider a good movie. It's certainly no Night of the Creeps. Still, this is fun if you want some B-movie silliness.
½ June 17, 2014
A poor mans "Invaders from Mars".. with some unexpectedly cool gory special effects. Pretty fun... stuff.