Sunset Boulevard Reviews

• Sep 26, 2020

A very well acted character study with good pacing and dialogue in some areas. I wasn't completely invested in the plot or subject matter though, and the movie didn't grab me like I was expecting. Gloria Swanson's performance as the has-been, delusional Norma Desmond was the highlight for me and the most interesting character out of everyone.

• Sep 07, 2020

Um dos melhores filmes que já assisti!

Um dos melhores filmes que já assisti!

• Aug 28, 2020

The movie kept me thoughtful throughout. Dealing with agism, pride, and stardom very comfortably.

• Aug 24, 2020

Absolutely brilliant! One of the greatest movies of all time, certainly the best ever about the movie business. If you haven't seen it, watch it! You're missing one of the best cinematic experiences ever. If you have seen it, watch it again (and again and...). It gets better on each viewing -- seriously!

• Jul 27, 2020

A biting satire on Hollywood's dark side. Billy Wilder's noir black comedy Sunset Boulevard (1950) is a revelation in filmmaking prowess and a powerful critique of how actresses get aged out of roles and the film industry at large as they fade into obscurity. Wilder's direction is a fascinating display of directorial control and sympathy for his subject as he gently depicts Gloria Swanson as an old silent film star struggling to make a name for herself in the era of talkies. Wilder's direction is very funny with a healthy dark humor about the mentally ill, desperate for fame, and loveless in Hollywood. His writing is superb, shedding light on forgotten stars and allowing audiences to empathize with elderly artists who just one want more picture or one last role. Gloria Swanson is gloriously theatrical and exaggerated as Norma Desmond in all her resplendent glamour. Edith Head's costumes are lavish dresses and tailored suits that would make any fashion aficionado jealous. Swanson's erratic performance is all consuming as you are absorbed by her desperate, lonely, widower and former screen darling who needs love and adoration. William Holden and Swanson have a fun chemistry of pain and uncertainty that's intriguing. Holden plays the failed writer well and the down on his luck scriptwriter turned captive ghost writer Joe Gillis. His frustration and agony are apparent on his torn face. Erich von Stroheim is excellent and apt as Gloria Swanson's loyal butler and first husband, the enigmatic Austrian Max von Mayerling. Nancy Olson is so naturally pretty and genuinely earnest as hopeful script doctor Betty Schaefer. Her romantic chemistry with William Holden is so sincere and palpable. Fred Clark has a funny cameo as a jaded movie producer called Sheldrake. Cecil B. DeMille brilliantly plays himself as a caring director who kindly treats Gloria Swanson's Norma with a gentle hand. Buster Keaton and H.B. Warner cameos as themselves, who are Norma's old Hollywood buddies. Arthur P. Schmidt's editing is so quickly paced that Sunset Boulevard's 110 pass by you like a friendly whisper. John F. Seitz' black and white cinematography is striking and moody. He captures shadows and darkly lit rooms with elegance and mystique so perfectly for Sunset Boulevard. I should mention that Franz Waxman's magnificent score adds a sense of grandeur and grace alongside a bleak haunting atmosphere for the crime elements. Everything in Sunset Boulevard is shrouded in suspense thanks to Waxman's beautiful music. He even had some classical on the organ for a wonderful little scene with Erich von Streheim's Max. I loved Sunset Boulevard. While it is outstanding on its own merits, it pairs interestingly with All About Eve also from 1950. I do prefer All About Eve for Anne Baxter's legendary performance and Bette Davis' distraught acting, Gloria Swanson's Norma is as compelling as Davis's iconic role.

• Jul 21, 2020

Swanson overacts and the end is not satisfying however the rest is great.

Swanson overacts and the end is not satisfying however the rest is great.

• Jul 20, 2020

киноклассика на века дает каждый раз сильное впечатление и с годами ценность не теряется. Так определяют шедевры

• Jul 06, 2020

I know it's a classic but I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it. Not awful but I just can't ever enjoy those films about film making or the film industry. So self indulgent for Hollywood to produce so many of these films, they're almost uniformly boring. This is one of the better ones but nah not for me.

• Jul 01, 2020

"Sunset Blvd." is considered a classic for good reason. The movie has a timelessly relevant message and is told in an interesting way. Compared to a lot of other older movies, this one age surprisingly well. The movie's biggest accomplishment is Gloria Swanson's performance. The way she portrays the main character is humorous at times, but by the end of the movie, it is actually pretty heartbreaking. The ending of the movie really seals the deal and wraps up this story in a way that makes sense and also hits the right emotional notes. This is a movie criticizing Hollywood from a different era, but I could easily find parallels in the movie industry in the present day. Overall, the story in this movie is entertaining, and the acting is excellent, but what makes it a movie that will last forever are its timeless themes.

• Jun 14, 2020