Reviews

• Aug 31, 2021

Que filme docemente lindo, completamente apaixonada pelas panquecas (dorayaki) de pasta de feijão azuki (anko), feito com Mizu-ame, me deu água na boca, quase conseguir sentir o cheirinho daqui, preciso experimentar… E as lições de vida, valorização da terceira idade, resquício da política de exclusão para os pacientes com Hanseníase, preconceito, amizade, esse filme não tem preço, obra intangível, diálogos cativantes, prefeitos, muito bem produzido, completamente apaixonante...

• Dec 27, 2020

A good example of Japanese respect for the elderly while also confronting leprosy and the fear surrounding it. The food aspect is pleasing and I . I want to try Dorayaki so much now. Saw it on TCM.

• Dec 08, 2020

Sweet movie. About a shop owner and his cook.

Sweet movie. About a shop owner and his cook.

• Oct 05, 2020

So touching, so sweet & yet so sad. It made me smile, laugh, choke up and cry.

So touching, so sweet & yet so sad. It made me smile, laugh, choke up and cry.

• Sep 02, 2020

Touching, heartfelt, and subtle 'Sweet Bean' is a Japanese film that should leave all with wet eyes. Kirin Kiki (Tokue), Masatoshi Nagase (Sentaro) and Kyara Uchida (Wakana) play three generations, but not from the same family and they are all given purpose in large part due to the fantastic performance of Kiki who is the glue. A really good tear jerker that has some fantastic albeit formulaic themes! Final Score: 8.1/10

• Aug 03, 2020

Why are most Japanese movies based around food ingredients or eating? Oh I know, because talking about politics and society is a taboo in Japan.

• Jul 01, 2020

- Sweet Bean - Is more than just a movie, it's delicious poetry that can be enjoyed in small bites, like dorayakis. This wonderful movie is just simple and overflowing with wisdom, love and compassion, to describe it is not the best way, it is to feel all your emotions that take away, a little honey in hot milk, just to soften the heart. Magnificent.

• Jun 28, 2020

As delicate as Japanese cinema can be. Even if the story is somehow hazy, you can fell the colours, smell and taste the dorayaki, and about all, the spirituality of these great people and their way they are connected with every single thing on earth. Lovely.

• May 11, 2020

A film about the duality of life's beauty and pain.

A film about the duality of life's beauty and pain.

• Apr 19, 2020

Exceptional. A poetic hymn to the human soul and its mother, Nature. Deeply real and humane.