Sweet Home Alabama - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sweet Home Alabama Reviews

½ July 29, 2018
How can you not like this movie?
July 20, 2018
Ugh I could watch this movie every day and not get tired of it.
April 16, 2018
Home is where the heart is, no matter how much you try to cover up your roots!
½ April 9, 2018
5/10 a redneck fantasy that sadly could me much much more...
½ August 21, 2017
Some laughs and a sweet performance from Reese Witherspoon are mixed with the supporting cast's so-so efforts and a less-than-compelling story.
June 22, 2017
É um romance meloso tradicional onde o sapo vira príncipe, é esporadicamente divertido. Ha uma busca incessante em manter o interesse do espectador com estereótipos que só desperdiçam o talento de Reese Witherspoon. Tempo de execução longo com um ritmo lento, não traz grandes surpresas apesar de um inicio promissor.
May 4, 2017
I've seen it a few times, but it never truly wins me over. Sweet Home Alabama is your typical romantic comedy. It is enjoyable enough, but there is nothing special or unique about it. (First viewing - Teen years)
February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 15, 2017
It even fails as a screwball comedy.
½ December 30, 2016
Terrible, but also terribly fun to watch.
September 16, 2016
Sweet Home Alabama(2002)
Starring: Reese Witherspoon, Josh Lucas, Patrick Dempsey, Candice Bergen, Matthew McConaughey, Dakota Fanning, Mary Kay Place, Ethan Embry, Fred Ward, Melanie Lynskey, Rhona Mitra, Jean Smart, Sean Bridgers, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Courtney Gains, Nathan Lee Graham, Sarah Baker, Kevin Sussman, Thomas Curtis, and Mark Matkevich
Written By: C. Jay Cox
Directed By: Andy Tennant
Review
SOMETIMES WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR IS RIGHT WHERE YOU LEFT IT.
You know I usually don't watch romantic comedies unless it's February. But I've lost my Pro membership so I personally don't care what I watch. Not to mention this one was just on FXX and it's got Reese Witherspoon, a big celebrity crush of mine.
New York fashion designer Melanie Carmichael suddenly finds herself engaged to the city's most eligible bachelor. But Melanie's past holds many secrets, including Jake, the redneck husband she married in high school, who refuses to divorce her. Bound and determined to end their contentious relationship once and for all, Melanie sneaks back home to Alabama to confront her past.
The film is a unique and charming romantic comedy, it had a few funny moments but for the very it had I was either laughing my butt off or had a good chuckle. It did achieve it's humor side so the characters could be fully developed with the silly actions they did and the development they had through the picture.
The story feels like I've seen this before in other romantic comedies but the difference between this film is that it has likable characters, good humor and is memorable. That is the best thing a romantic comedy can be is memorable.
The performances from the main stars are really some of the best I've seen in a movie like this but that's mostly because of the script. Reese Witherspoon just nailed that accent. I really do wonder if she's s country gal because she had that accent in Hot Pursuit. Josh Lucas wasn't half bad either. Patrick Dempsy gives the best performance in a romantic comedy that he's been in.
Andy Tennant a director who I've only seen three films from has made bad and good films. I personally didn't like Hitch or Ever After but I did enjoy Bounty Hunter and I personally think this is his best film.
It all comes together with a tight script and beautiful acting with genuine funny moments but falls short on pacing. I really liked this movie and thought it was a great romantic comedy and I'm giving good old Sweet Home Alabama a four out of five.
July 30, 2016
It was one of two of the best movies I love.
July 1, 2016
What a classic! It doesn't get any better than this. Classic cast of characters, two completely different worlds between the south and New York City, classic love story gone south and someone having to decide between two different guys, and just all-around feel good vibes.
June 8, 2016
Love this love triangle. Great plot.
June 5, 2016
Usually the audience is better at rating romcoms but I'll have to agree with the critics on this one. Disjointed, sloppy dialogue, impossible to believe situations and the main premise is an outright lie: lightning doesn't turn sand into clear glass but a rough 3", hollow, ugly piece of fulgarite.
½ April 24, 2016
A hotel room film. You shouldn't go out of your way to watch this but it'll do if it's on the box.
April 1, 2016
Loved this movie Josh Lucas and Reese Witherspoon were good in this
February 28, 2016
I love this movie! It's just so darn cute!
February 17, 2016
It's kinda charming in a few places, but overall, not a very memorable experience! Witherspoon is a little too sappy in this role!