Sweet Home Alabama - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sweet Home Alabama Reviews

September 16, 2016
Sweet Home Alabama(2002)
Starring: Reese Witherspoon, Josh Lucas, Patrick Dempsey, Candice Bergen, Matthew McConaughey, Dakota Fanning, Mary Kay Place, Ethan Embry, Fred Ward, Melanie Lynskey, Rhona Mitra, Jean Smart, Sean Bridgers, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Courtney Gains, Nathan Lee Graham, Sarah Baker, Kevin Sussman, Thomas Curtis, and Mark Matkevich
Written By: C. Jay Cox
Directed By: Andy Tennant
Review
SOMETIMES WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR IS RIGHT WHERE YOU LEFT IT.
You know I usually don't watch romantic comedies unless it's February. But I've lost my Pro membership so I personally don't care what I watch. Not to mention this one was just on FXX and it's got Reese Witherspoon, a big celebrity crush of mine.
New York fashion designer Melanie Carmichael suddenly finds herself engaged to the city's most eligible bachelor. But Melanie's past holds many secrets, including Jake, the redneck husband she married in high school, who refuses to divorce her. Bound and determined to end their contentious relationship once and for all, Melanie sneaks back home to Alabama to confront her past.
The film is a unique and charming romantic comedy, it had a few funny moments but for the very it had I was either laughing my butt off or had a good chuckle. It did achieve it's humor side so the characters could be fully developed with the silly actions they did and the development they had through the picture.
The story feels like I've seen this before in other romantic comedies but the difference between this film is that it has likable characters, good humor and is memorable. That is the best thing a romantic comedy can be is memorable.
The performances from the main stars are really some of the best I've seen in a movie like this but that's mostly because of the script. Reese Witherspoon just nailed that accent. I really do wonder if she's s country gal because she had that accent in Hot Pursuit. Josh Lucas wasn't half bad either. Patrick Dempsy gives the best performance in a romantic comedy that he's been in.
Andy Tennant a director who I've only seen three films from has made bad and good films. I personally didn't like Hitch or Ever After but I did enjoy Bounty Hunter and I personally think this is his best film.
It all comes together with a tight script and beautiful acting with genuine funny moments but falls short on pacing. I really liked this movie and thought it was a great romantic comedy and I'm giving good old Sweet Home Alabama a four out of five.
July 30, 2016
It was one of two of the best movies I love.
July 1, 2016
What a classic! It doesn't get any better than this. Classic cast of characters, two completely different worlds between the south and New York City, classic love story gone south and someone having to decide between two different guys, and just all-around feel good vibes.
June 8, 2016
Love this love triangle. Great plot.
June 5, 2016
Usually the audience is better at rating romcoms but I'll have to agree with the critics on this one. Disjointed, sloppy dialogue, impossible to believe situations and the main premise is an outright lie: lightning doesn't turn sand into clear glass but a rough 3", hollow, ugly piece of fulgarite.
½ April 24, 2016
A hotel room film. You shouldn't go out of your way to watch this but it'll do if it's on the box.
April 1, 2016
Loved this movie Josh Lucas and Reese Witherspoon were good in this
February 28, 2016
I love this movie! It's just so darn cute!
February 17, 2016
It's kinda charming in a few places, but overall, not a very memorable experience! Witherspoon is a little too sappy in this role!
December 7, 2015
Pssst...I low-key kind of like this movie. Don't tell anyone.
½ September 17, 2015
Damn you Reese Witherspoon and you're charm. I mean really, this is a movie that ranks right up there with the classic "masculinity card revoking" titles like She's The Man. Top to bottom this film captures a perfect tone and the comedy is spot on from a great cast. It's right on the edge of the guilty pleasure pile, but I am less embarrassed to admit that I enjoy it because I think it's a solid movie.
½ August 4, 2015
A great southern comedy that shows that southern people have hearts and that we care love this movie
½ June 28, 2015
I think I'd rather watch Miley Cyrus grind on Robin Thicke for 2 straight hours than watch this movie again. This is a very offensive movie.
½ February 23, 2015
I know this is not one of these movies you will remember forever but I like it. It's totally nineties, it's funny and it's a good love story where true love, the one you will never forget, wins. Reese Witherspoon acts lovely and I think this film deserves at least to be watched in a rainy and boring afternoon.
February 7, 2015
I like Reese Witherspoon but only watch this if you are a chick who is all by yourself on the couch with a bottle of wine on a Friday night.
½ January 13, 2015
I just want to know what was the writer thinking while writing the most awful story ever
December 22, 2014
this movie shows the meaning of true love.
December 6, 2014
Pretty good movie, it's good to watch if your really bored