Swingers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Swingers Reviews

October 17, 2016
Made me want to go out and start gambling or at least hangout with those guys for a little bit.
½ October 15, 2016
What a bizarre movie. I kind of hated it and kind of loved it. It was entertaining to see Vince Vaughn so young and also understand half the quotes my friends always use.
½ October 14, 2016
Easy to see why this one is a cult classic, its a very nostalgic type of film. However, it kinda reminded me of a flimsier Singles movie. Basically its a 90s throwback about dating and struggling to make it in LA from a guys perspective. Its filled with light laughs, but not a whole lot of plot and way too much-"its money man" lines. Theres a relatable but down and out main character and the charismatic Trent character played by Vince Vaughn will both keep your attention, altho the other characters dont really matter. Just shows you how important friends are and that with time the worst break-up heart ache passes.
Jess S.
October 12, 2016
So many quotable moments, this movie brings a cool vibe to any twenty something looking for their next phase in life. The young days of John Favreau and Vince Vaughn are highlighted here, with two hip dudes out on the town in search of ladies and a wild night life. I recommend this movie to any and everyone. "You're so money, you don't even know it."
½ October 7, 2016
16/09/04: Rewatched this classic start to finish, and was still as entertaining as when I first watched and had no idea what double down meant. May seem dated to the younger generation, but since chokers are coming back, there may be some semblance of fashion.
September 6, 2016
I thought this was going to be more of a "moment in time" snapshot of swing club culture in the mid-90s, but is much more of a depiction of single guys being single guys, blowing smoke about life, their own coolness and (especially) how to pick up women. A few fun mid-90s references (using The Club, as seen on TV, to secure your K-car), and a bit of period swing revival music, but most of it is pretty timeless--or will be as long as single men hang out together.
September 1, 2016
Loved this movie. Funny, moving well acted.
August 9, 2016
Anyone who reviews this movie bad, doesn't understand movies and needs to take a film class in college.
July 20, 2016
Aside from two song choices at the beginning that I didn't love, this movie is perfect. Everything is outstanding. It's funny. It has outstanding writing and script, and cinematography. The director does so well that he shows he's someone to watch out for. Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn shine with their outstanding chemistry and performances! I can't recommend too many movies as much as I do this one. It's on Netflix as I'm writing this, watch it immediately.
June 5, 2016
It's not you. It's me.

Mike is dramatically depressed after his long time girlfriend dumps him and almost immediately starts dating a new guy. Mike's best friend, Trent, tries to break Mike into the dating scenes and starts off in deep, but easy waters of Vegas. Mike quickly falls on his face. They return home and Trent continues to try and lift Mike's spirits and help him find happiness in a woman one way or another...

"I want you to be the guy in the 'R' rated movie."

Doug Liman, director of The Bourne Identity, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Go, Jumper, Edge of Tomorrow, Fair Game, and the upcoming Gambit as well as Edge of Tomorrow 2, delivers Swingers. The storyline for this picture is fun and funny in some ways. The writing is better than average and the characters are very well portrayed. The cast includes Vince Vaughn, Jon Favreau, Heather Graham, Ron Livingston, and Brooke Langton.

"I need to use the phone."

I randomly came across this on Netflix and decided to give it a viewing. I'm actually a little ashamed I had never seen this, but while this was entertaining, it wasn't a masterpiece or too worth going out of your way to see. I recommend seeing this once if nothing better is on.

"Vegas, baby! Vegas!"

Grade: C+
May 26, 2016
Swingers is just money baby! A fun coming of age type film where Jon Favreau deals with his complicated and sometimes depressing love life.
½ May 13, 2016
This is definitely a movie that carries a weird "vibe" as Vaughn's character would describe it. The story is very real-world, and I enjoyed the soundtrack immensely. There was some stuff that I definitely wonder about its need, but overall it was enjoyable. Most likely not a film I would give a second viewing. From an artistic standpoint, it's an interesting piece. I kind of felt that it brought a certain amount of depression in places that I wasn't a fan of (I'm fully aware that it means they were really communicating Mike's feelings very well), and there was some stuff that was perfectly placed. An intriguing movie carrying an atmosphere that is pretty unique.
½ May 5, 2016
Cleverly observed and believable, but the down side is a bit drawn out - if only more time had been given to the up times.
½ April 29, 2016
"Swingers" feels authentic and mostly due to a fine cast, but also due to its nicely paced and relateable storyline.
April 8, 2016
We all know the lines and we all love this movie. Definitely one of my most watched. Who's the big winner? Mikey's the big winner.
April 5, 2016
So cool and so funny, expertly directed by Liman.
½ March 24, 2016
Trent (Vince Vaughn) is the friend you have that's only really fun if he's your friend. To fellow diners, gamblers, and lovers that pepper the room, he's an obnoxious extrovert with a bad habit of calling everything "money," of calling everyone "baby." He likes to loudly flirt with waitresses, to rowdily get into playful arguments with his pack of buddies. He's a riot, but he takes some getting used to, too; just meet him and you might find yourself exasperated by his unstoppable swagger.
Most of the time, you want him around - he's the fun friend that makes you extra witty when in his presence. But for now, he's the last person Mike (Jon Favreau) needs. A struggling comedian trying to adjust from New York to Los Angeles, Mike is just getting over a brutal breakup with his girlfriend of six years. Though it's been six months since they last spoke, he can't seem to think of anything besides the relationship he was once a part of. He'd rather drown in his self-pity than move on, but Trent is determined that a couple of one-night-stands and couple of memorable flirtations will do him some good. Maybe he's right - but to Mike, looking for romance is about as appealing as competing in a triathlon on an empty stomach, fifty pounds overweight.
But you can't turn down Trent's pep talks when he's determined, now can you?
1996's "Swingers," directed by Doug Liman and written by Favreau, is perhaps not the bromantic comedy I've made it out to be - I've only done so because this central story is the single piece of story really to be found amid its never-ending conversations. It's a talking movie of the "Chasing Amy" sort, concerned with the banter its characters participate in more than the coordination of something plot-driven. I don't have much of a problem with that so long as the talking's compelling and well-staged, and Favreau, fortunately, is a writer able to make restaurant booth exchanges and long-winded stories have luminosity that make the mundane more bewitching than the cinematic.
That's a feat, too. Favreau, who wrote the screenplay with his close friends in mind, concocts characters and relationships that go beyond plain convincing - the characters are as unintentionally hilarious as they are effortlessly human, hardly a faux result of Screenwriting 101. And the actors do Favreau's writing justice; though his own performance as the film's focal lonelyheart is the best and most touching of "Swingers," Vaughn is spectacular as his loud-mouthed sidekick, Ron Livingston effective as the stable counter to Vaughn's Trent, and Heather Graham, who shows up during the film's finale, is a sweet, potential love interest worthy of Mike's vulnerabilities.
"Swingers" is more a chatterbox than it is a straightforward comedy, drama, or romance, but get lost in the dialogue and you'll like the direction it takes you. Favreau's writing is as defiantly naturalistic as it is easily funny, Liman's direction breezy. And sidelined with Vaughn's charismatic, star-making turn, "Swingers" makes for a film of youthful cool we don't mind bowing down to.
March 5, 2016
Favreau's first movie was a great place to start out on
February 18, 2016
The movie that made us know Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn will surely not disappoint. It's humor is unique to the two leads, and is organic in the sense that it hits home for them. They believe what's happening because they lived it.

Written by Favreau and loosely based on he and Vaughn's life and friendship, Swingers is about a group of struggling actors who are involved in the '90s Hollywood swing revival. It follows Mike (Favreau), a New York native who can't get over his ex-girlfriend. But his friends, most notably Trent (Vaughn), try getting him out of his depression by forcing him back out onto the playing field.

Both leads are fantastic. Vaughn wows the audience with his unique brand of fast-talking humor. And Favreau is so convincing as a wallowing sad sack that you genuinely feel bad for the guy.

The scene towards the beginning where the pair of friends go to Las Vegas sets the tone for the entire movie. It establishes a style that is vehemently consistent throughout.

Swingers has everything that will make you want to drive to Los Angeles and Las Vegas right this second. It ties together the glitz and glamour of both cities, seamlessly connecting the two. But I think what captures the neon vibe of the film's locations is the juxtaposition of failing to make it. This failure, of course, isn't stressed. It's still opportunity. It's optimism.

Neither Mike nor Trent have had much success in the industry, but Trent is still having the time of his life, while Mike's only reason to be down on himself is his breakup. The film paints a perfect portrait of confident mediocrity, and being complacent with it.

The story's exposition takes its time, but in a perfect way. Every scene has a sincere purpose and contributes to establishing the depth of its characters. But it's beyond just the characters. A movie is refreshingly good if even the circumstances have depth. In fact, that's when it's great.

Twizard Rating: 97
½ January 31, 2016
Loved it. Favreau and Vaughn killed it. They were so young!