Take This Waltz - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Take This Waltz Reviews

August 12, 2017
One of those movies that makes human relationships seem really horrible and not worth the effort; if this is what it's like I'd rather be alone. Not a bad movie, but it relies heavily on the viewer resonating with very emotional and impulsive people, and that never really happened for me. Some really beautiful night shots, but also some unpleasantly over-saturated colours that make it look like a TV movie. And Luke Kirby is the most boringly anonymous Canadian nobody Polley could have found, which really hurts the whole narrative.
June 17, 2017
Terrific performances, and an honest telling of how love sometimes goes awry.
½ May 26, 2017
Sometimes the truth hurts. This movie is the most accurate love story I have ever seen. It takes you past the "happily ever after" honeymoon phase of a relationship and shows the human side of a love story.
½ April 2, 2017
colorful pictures just like a day-dream, but the story tells the reality of the relationship. It is so harsh that I hardly call it romance.
March 17, 2017
Geraldine: Life has a gap in it. It just does. You don't go crazy trying to fill it like some lunatic.
November 26, 2016
A dark, sober study of how change isn't the way out of a personal crisis. Michelle Williams is excellent.
½ November 6, 2016
This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Childish, repugnant, and idiotic, I would not recommend this to ANYONE.
½ September 16, 2016
A sitcom/romcom worthy premise of a woman torn between two lovers is treated with artful discretion and realistic, nuanced performances. It's a frustratingly bittersweet movie but that's exactly the point and it should be commended for that.
August 21, 2016
Emotionally complex, genuinely moving and relatable. Michelle Williams' great performance is well supported by the rest of the cast.
July 26, 2016
totally depressing, seth proves he can do better and more than just comedies!!!! well done my mate!
June 3, 2016
Had real potential as a relationship drama, but is clumsily told, and full of pretentiousness. Doesn't fall apart completely - just when you think there is no hope for it, the movie has something semi-profound to say. Sadly, these moments are few and far between.

Good cast wasted. Michelle Williams' dramatic skills are evident in the first half of the movie but from a point, pretty much the same point as when the movie turns to sh*t, her performance becomes one of crying spells and distant stares. Seth Rogen and Sarah Silverman are great comedic actors but they hardly have a funny line between them. Rogen seemed out of his depth, and clumsy, in a romantic/dramatic role.

Disappointing.
½ May 8, 2016
L'amour qui échoue au quotidien est raconté tout en douceur et en lenteur dans TAKE THIS WALTZ. Une comédie romantique pas très comique sur le désir, les silences et les cassures qui se créent dans la routine. Michelle Williams y est resplendissante de vérité... J'en suis sortie le coeur à l'envers.
½ May 7, 2016
Grade: F. Terrible. I couldn't even finish the movie. After an hour of absolutely no progression I just couldn't take it anymore.
½ April 20, 2016
Kind of depressing drama starring Seth Rogan and Michelle Williams about a dysfunctional married couple
March 18, 2016
It's a tender story that is brought down by boring dialogue and characters who are too distant to be personal.
February 27, 2016
Poorly written for the most part. The development feels contrived and forced, and is a waste of Williams. But also contains a handful of exceptionally well shot and constructed scenes.
February 25, 2016
Treats the character's conflict a bit too lightly in a way that makes it less effective, but there are some really good scenes and surprising performances (mostly Seth Rogen).
February 21, 2016
Great photography, but the dialogue is so inane and the story so lacking in verisimilitude I can't justify rating it higher than 3/5
February 17, 2016
Despite its minor flaws, which includes a clumsy beginning that relies on many coincidences, this bittersweet drama surprisingly grows to become quite mature and revealing, making natural even the seemingly contrived relationship between the character and her husband.