19% Transcendence Apr 18

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

Take This Waltz Reviews

Cynthia S

September 13, 2011
I rather liked this. I loved the way the story was told with few words, and yet you really got what was going on. Telling the story with no history of the characters was an interesting departure from the norm. Deeply emotional, yet so tender. The actors were excellent. No easy answers in this story. No black and white. Realistically modern, and complex. Good stuff.
KJ P

January 2, 2014
Although some of the material covered in this film may be getting old, seeing it done so well through Canadian hands is terrific. Directed by Sarah Polley and shot entirely in Toronto, "Take This Waltz" is a well told unconventional love story that takes many turns for the worse. There truly are some incredible moments in this film, from the masterful camerawork in some key scenes that you will not see coming. The cast is fantastic, the script is well-written, and it is superbly directed by a someone who is a well-known indie actress. My biggest complaint is that there are so many moments when you feel like you should be smiling, but after seeing previous scenes, you feeling you'd be tricking yourself to smile. It's not the best romance I've ever seen, but it is sure a great one! "Take This Waltz" is definitely worth your time.
Wildaly M

December 25, 2013
Watched it but don't remember it.
Bathsheba Monk
Bathsheba Monk

November 11, 2013
See, this is why comedians shouldn't be allowed in a serious movie! Very slow moving--nothing in the first ten minutes made any sense whatsoever. You mean this hot guy lives across the street from the lead and SHE NEVER NOTICED until they share a cab from the airport? The repartee Lou and Margot have in bed is so unbelievable--"I love you so much I want to inject your face with ebola and aids"--is so Seth Rogen, and I actually think he's funny, but not here please.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

July 3, 2013
three stars
Alice S

June 26, 2013
I imagine that this movie would review itself with such choice descriptors as "painfully exquisite" and "delicately twee" with "deeply felt performances" - all of which combine to mean it's nauseatingly arthouse. Michelle Williams has paddled up the Creek to become the reigning queen of this genre, and good for her, really, but I honestly found her a bit self-conscious in her performance of Margot's kinky baby games. The film also spends SO much time with those quirks that we don't get to know the couple beyond that. What is Margot missing in this marriage? What does she want out of life? Why did they get together in the first place?

The flirtation between her and ripped rickshaw driver Daniel is restrainedly sexy, but the moment she...takes this waltz (if you will)...the movie shifts tone and becomes surface fantasy fulfillment, then pseudo-morality tale, then "I am woman hear me meow" fever dream. All three of these revelations come too late in the film for them to have any impact.

Oh Seth Rogen. You are no wispy-faced Charlotte Rampling in Woody Allen's "Stardust Memories," nor are you child prodigy Jean-Pierre Leaud in Francois Truffaut's "The 400 Blows." Those artily cut scenes of long, emotionally wrought or emotionally stoic monologues (respectively) are iconic due to their pure, eyes-open candor. Seth Rogen knew he had to bring it for this dramatic role, and once again, good for him for trying, but he shouldn't have tried so hard. Uncover your face and let's see you feel something instead of acting like you're feeling something.

The upsides of this experience were that this movie made me want to
1. move to Montreal. The neighborhood looks so colorful and cool, and there are freakin' rickshaws and a within-walking-distance beach and mock-floggings for tourists!
2. watch twee kook Miranda July's tweely kooky "You, Me, and Everyone We Know" again. I didn't love it as a whole, but I found the beautiful parts REALLY beautiful, and I think I'd appreciate it more now in comparison.
Nicki M

June 8, 2013
Outstanding. This movie is so honest in looking at relationships and perception of how things are and what we think will make us happy.
Initially I just found it so pretty to look at - the colours in this are beautiful and I loved almost every outfit Michelle Williams wore.
As it goes on, I found it really spoke to me. There is nothing wrong with either of the guys and the ending is not unhappy, as such. The sadness comes from the gap inside and that the initial newness does not last as life continues on. The something lacking inside. I think this is the point most couples have children and try to hide from it and feel life does indeed have meaning.
I don't think this will speak to all, but I would think a lot of women could relate whether they care to admit to it or not.
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

May 22, 2013
A wife falls in love with her neighbor.
We have seen this story dozens of times: the plot is Bridges of Madison County, Unfaithful: and countless others. But Michelle Williams's performance is beyond compare, and Seth Rogen gives a remarkable, emotionally demanding performance. The third act scene that consists of several flash cuts is so heartbreaking because Rogen plays it straight and honestly. Even Sarah Silverman's third act scene is remarkable.
What sets Take this Waltz apart from its peers is the level of profundity its conclusion reaches. Like Annie Hall, Take the Waltz shows that we are foundationally flawed, that our natural desires lead to our emotional ruin, that our lives can be condemned to tepidity despite our best efforts. Essentially, it's a pessimistic film, but it doesn't feel as damning as it is.
Overall, Take this Waltz is an old story, but that's its one flaw; aside from the well-traveled ground, this is one of the finest films I've seen in a long time.
jjnxn
jjnxn

February 5, 2013
Well acted but that's far too long to get where its going and the story just isn't that involving.
Carlos M

March 30, 2013
Despite its minor flaws, which includes a clumsy beginning that relies on many coincidences, this bittersweet drama surprisingly grows to become quite mature and revealing - making organic even the contrived relationship between the character and her husband.
Daniel P

June 19, 2012
As someone who lives in Toronto, and knows people a lot like the characters in this film, I just couldn't root for any of them. So, so self-involved - these are the Toronto people that make the rest of Canada think the worst of the city. The film tries so hard to be hip, and to be deep, too, but the effort has the opposite effect: a gloss is put on the completely mundane and the whole exercise comes up rather empty.
Spencer S

February 4, 2013
Writer and director Sarah Polley brings another lead female protagonist to the silver screen with a story about conflicted emotions. The story follows housebound married woman Margo (Williams), who writes pamphlets for tourist destinations, traveling somewhat but truly stuck in a house, in a neighborhood, with her husband Lou (Rogen). The film mostly deals with their relationship, how claustrophobic Margo feels with him, how she becomes conflicted about whether she wants to be with her suave neighbor, an artist and rickshaw operator. She flirts with the desire to stray, all the while still trying to reconnect with her husband, who seems oblivious to any wrongdoing or culpability in their marriage's distress. She continues to confront him time and again about how vulnerable she is and how he seemingly rejects her advances and perhaps even her love at every turn. Michelle Williams, who I find delightful in every performance she gives, comes off as repressed to the point of combustion, and gives us a look into someone who is struggling between a rock and a hard place, whose decisions we don't always respect yet we understand, and who we ultimately root for, though we're unsure why. Rogen also gives an impressively heartfelt performance as her husband, ranging between a foolhardy family man and husband, to a ravaged man whose life is turned upside down by forces he can't control. Sarah Silverman plays her sister-in-law, in a portrayal that is candidly funny while also being very sad as she goes through the turmoil of alcoholism. Really, there are some devastating moments of human compassion and longing, though it does stray into surreal territory at the end, which I found distracting and took away from the rest of the film. Still, a deeply rooted film in the human experience.
Anthony L

January 16, 2013
Away from Her has been on my 'to watch' list for while, it's only now that I've realised that it's that Sarah Polley who directed both that and Take this Waltz. I don't care much for her acting to be honest but her direction in Take this Waltz is impressive to say the least. At first I wondered if it was style over content, there is only so much you can appreciate the props and sets (the wife and I gushed somewhat over the house used in the film). It's safe to say that I wasn't liking a lot of what was going on during the best part of the film, I really didn't like where it was going, I felt quite frustrated watching it. That is why the last 20 minutes has the impact it does. I've always said, a film can really redeem itself in the last few scenes if done well and this is a perfect example of that. I thought it was original and clever, never predictable and wholly satisfying. Seth Rogen deserves credit for his performance and it's safe to say Michelle Williams is my favourite actress working today, her turn in this is a good example of why, she goes from strength to strength. One of my favourite of 2012 for sure.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

January 3, 2013
New things get old.

Good movie! Take This Waltz is a magnificent achievement from everyone involved, not the least of which being a magnificent work from Michelle Williams. As told by Polley, it's a moving and incredibly true exploration into an aspect of life that is rarely explored. Polley's approach lacks the kind of dramatic punch that one often finds in films dealing with the subject of adultery. There's no erotic lighting, no sweaty bodies crashing into one another, and no shouting matches between splintered lovers. She removes it of all the typical bells and whistles that could make something like this appeal to a mainstream Hollywood audience and instead creates a soft, touching and remarkably human film. It's something that deserves to be admired. Seth Rogen is surprisingly effective in his role as the geeky, but loving husband. I found myself constantly rooting for him. He did a great job of making his character imperfect but likable, but most importantly, believable. Sarah Silverman delivered nicely in her role, especially near the end of the film. If there was a weak link, it was Luke Kirby, who never seemed to show much emotion at all, in a role where there was such potential for it. Michelle Williams continues to grow as an actress, able to say more with her eyes and her body language than she is with the script of lines. She is truly remarkable. The film does still have some flaws with it's pacing and there are times where it gets swept up in it's melancholy and it can tend to drag a little bit, but there is still enough rewarding things on display here to be worth a watch, even if you have to think about the film a couple days after you watch it, or even have repeat viewings. Brave viewers should give the film a chance and think about what it says about loneliness, relationships and the myths we sometimes promise ourselves, but ultimately lie to each other and ourselves about.

While on a plane ride back to Toronto from a writing assignment, Margot meets Daniel, a handsome stranger. An immediate attraction is formed and Margot is able to open up and discuss some of her fears and longings. A taxi ride back home causes Daniel and Margot to realize that they are neighbours and Margot admits she's married. The summer-time heat and her increasing fascination with the handsome artist who lives across the street starts getting to her, and Margot is no longer sure if she's happy in her marriage or if she'd be happier with her fantasies with Daniel.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 16, 2012
"This movie is a perfect example of why I LOVE indie flicks. This is the most honest look (besides Blue Valentine) at a regular relationship I have seen on screen. Once again Ms. Michelle Williams blows me away with her performance. And holy hell Seth Rogen! This has to be my favorite performance from him ever. I didn't know he could pull a roll like this off. Everyone in this film does an amazing job. I loved the story. It was romantic and heartbreaking all in one. Loving someone but not being in love is very hard. Especially when you love them so much that the thought of hurting them leaves you in pain and keeps you trapt in a lustless relationship. Then meeting someone while your in this other relationship that makes you feel everything you should be feeling with the person your with makes it that much harder. The story is relatable. I know many who have been in or are in a similar relationship. Sarah Polley does an amazing job with the story and directing. Plus the cast was amazing too. I loved it. I definitely will be seeing it again. It's streaming on Netflix for those of you who have that and want to see it."
Drake T

October 7, 2012
Take This Waltz is, in every way possible, a brutally honest and authentic study of love free of cliches and Hollywood nonsense.

So little is said but the film resonates from one shot to the next as this emotional coaster of uncertainty openly reveals the fleeting desires and looming pains of what it means to chase after something so fantastical.

Margo is inherently annoying, silly even! But she's a believer and if you're going to judge her for that then this film isn't for you. Her entire journey of self discovery, fear, insecurities.... should be free of the viewer's morality but ironically the ambiguity of it is a core theme to her story.

The film's engagingly thought provoking with it's subtleties from start to finish so I had no trouble staying intrigued. But I also found the slow pacing elemental, it reflected what it feels like to endure Margo's position as a tormented seeker.

Also I'd like to note the open ending. I would have felt cheated if an absolute was given to her quest for happiness, because ultimately, it should never end.

Finally, the filmography is simply beautiful. Which is fitting for a subject with such idealized elegance.
Raymond W

January 15, 2012
Take This Waltz is an honest, truthful and emotionally intense journey through romance, love, sex, and life. Michelle Williams and Luke Kirby are simply a joy to watch as they have fantastic chemistry. Even though I thought Seth Rogan had some trouble with the dramatic scenes, I still felt he embodied his character well. The film itself was a tad slow and meandering for it to really hold my attention near the end, but the open-to-interpretation ending is great, and the film is shot really well. Some people have complained about the emotional inconsistency of the film, or how the emotions are incomplete. I felt that that's the way it should be; life is incomplete as it is. In everyday life, we don't have time to take the waltz and spend quality time dancing with, thinking about, and discussing our emotions. Life goes by way too fast for that.
Tracy K

July 21, 2012
Surprisingly convincing and sympathetic treatment of the complexity of infidelity, self-discovery and disillusionment - the problem of what to do with the unfillable "gaps" that open up in our lives from time to time. Beautiful performances by Michelle Williams and (what a shock!) Seth Rogan, who bring a real sense of pain, sincerity and confusion to their characters and their relationship.
JonathanHutchings
JonathanHutchings

July 15, 2012
Take This Waltz both illustrates Sarah Polley's unique confidence as a filmmaker and her room to grow as a writer/director. When a relationship goes bad, or stale, some people do a little dance. They keep moving, keep trying, keep searching for that spark to rekindle what was once great excitement. And that is the dance they do in Take This Waltz, a somewhat illogical look at a romance headed into parts unknown. Actions and motivations don't always add up here. Romantic films can often be given a pass on logic, taking into account that everyone has the capability to act a little loopy when it comes to relationships; here, however, Polley's creations seem to be carrying out actions simply because they have been written down and not because they make much sense.

Michelle Williams (stellar, as always) and Seth Rogen (monotonously decent, but not worthy of the praise he's been getting) play Margot and Lou, a Montreal couple who seems to love each other and enjoy being with each other after about five years of marriage. While on a trip, Margot meets, in an extremely movie-cute way, Daniel (Luke Kirby). The next convenient contrivance comes when they find out they live across the street from each other. Margot and Daniel start bumping into each other accidentally, and then on purpose. They flirt, have intelligent conversations and get to know each other. They mentally bond without the physical connections. During it all, they perform several actions that seem artificial, even for a pair of thwarted lovebirds. For example: an ill-conceived, borderline laughable non-speaking, non-touching synchronized swimming exercise (get it? They can't touch because she's married. How clever!).

For much of the film, it looks like Polley is offering a treatise on how relationships last even when hitting rough ground. She even brings in the troubles of an alcoholic sister-in-law (Sarah Silverman) to underscore it (although I can't say this subplot adds much to the story). The film sports a loose grasp on its narrative throughout, and it eventually runs off the rails. This derailment accentuates how much the entire movie needs tightening. Too many scenes run on too long after serving their purpose. In terms of structure, it almost felt like someone handed Polley a "how to" manual for creating an indie drama that plums the troubling depths of relationships, and she hits all of the notes with varying degrees of payoff. Often times, Take This Waltz feels thin and entirely too self-conscious. Even the connection made between the film and the Leonard Cohen song it takes its name from seems a little forced and nonsensical.

That said, Take This Waltz somehow never becomes boring and usually remains insightful and contemplative. It's an admirable and honest look at the unforgiving, cyclical nature of our expectations for relationships... if you're able to put aside the contrivances.
axadntpron
axadntpron

July 12, 2012
If they allowed quarter notes on here, I would give this film 4 & ¬ 1/4 stars.

Sarah Polley‚(TM)s debut feature was a heartbreakingly gorgeous look at an elderly couple dealing with Alzheimers. In her sophomore effort ‚Take This Waltz‚?, Polley shifts her focus from the confinement and finality of old age, to the uncertainty and anxiety that comes with youth.
When 28-year-old Margot has a chance encounter with the
artistically-minded rickshaw driver Daniel, she has to choose between the promise of this new fantasy, or the ever imperfect reality of her sweet, albeit humdrum husband. While desiring to whole-heartedly bask in this new romantic reverie, Margot must constantly battle with what is innocent exploration and what is crossing the line. Most of all, she wants what nobody can have. The knowledge of where each road will ultimately take us. Whether the one we are currently on is ‚right‚? and what we ‚deserve‚?, or whether we need to make a lane change.
Polley effectively probes the push and pull between fantasy and
reality with a series of wonderfully crafted scenes. One in particular involves Daniel & Margot on an amusement park ride. They are spinning to the sounds of The Buggles, cloaked in brilliant colors, and fully immersed in a sensual hallucination. Suddenly, they are jerked to a standstill as the ride shuts down. The mirage quickly fades and the cold hard reality of their decisions quickly set in. We all know what it is like to get swept up in what-ifs and Polley authentically recreates their magical lure on the big screen.
The film‚(TM)s power is further augmented by great performances. Williams, surprise surprise, is fantastic. But what really surprised me were the supporting performances. Rogen continues to show that he isn‚(TM)t a one-trick comedy pony and is capable of meatier roles. The same goes for Silverman who really impressed me here. She goes toe to toe with Williams in a few scenes and I was struck by how she effortlessly held her own. While I do wish her character had a few more scenes, I was very thankful for every moment she had on screen.
My one big complaint of the film is that it seems that Polley was
infected by the ‚indie‚? bug. Some of the conversations regarding
‚should-vitations‚? and other things of that sort just reeked of quirkiness. Also, do I even need to attack the fact that Daniel is a rickshaw driver AND an aspiring artist? No, because it sounds like his character was pulled straight from a book of movie clich√ (C)s. Yet, Luke Kirby‚(TM)s subtle performance saves what could so easily have become an unbelievable character. Also, a movie so grounded in reality got a bit implausible towards the end in a scene involving the police. But I don‚(TM)t want to go into too much detail for fear that I will spoil something for those of you who haven‚(TM)t seen it yet.
Overall, this film is replete with inspired and very real moments.Being a married man myself, I was amazed at how expertly she nails moments of marital miscommunication. How often times a partner isn‚(TM)t guilty of malice, but of reading a situation wrong. I love that Polley didn‚(TM)t attempt to vilify any of the characters, and that she shows how decisions of this magnitude are truly life-changing and are excruciatingly difficult to ponder. It is an excellent sophomore effort and shows that Polley is not only a real talent in front of the camera, but behind it as well.