Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - The Secret of the Ooze - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - The Secret of the Ooze Reviews

½ September 4, 2017
The turtles are back and ready to kick it into high gear in their second outing. The film was made less than a year after the release of the original and the rushed production shows. The characters are not as endearing or funny as they were in the original and Judith Hoag is replaced by Paige Turco, a less savvy Aoril O'Neill. The turtles must once again fight off Shredder as he has made it back from the dead; he invents some new creatures as well with the aide of a mysterious ooze. Kids will still likely love it but don't expect to get much out of it as an adult viewer.
August 17, 2017
While more campy than the original and less true to the source material, Secret of the Ooze is an entertaining continuation of the most original franchise ever.
July 21, 2017
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze has glimmers of wit, some decent fight choreography and, in my opinion, more expressive animatronics than in the first film. It does look a bit dated, sure, but it seems slightly easier for their facial expressions to be recognized this time around. Sadly, this film came during a time when Hollywood faced one of its biggest threats yet...angry parents. I'm not joking, this movie came out a year before Batman Returns, which people seemed to enjoy yet couldn't escape the wrath of the pissed off mother who took her son to see it because he loves the Caped Crusader. Thanks to the parents, this film takes a more lighthearted tone, differing greatly from the dark tone of the first film. I find it funny to see the Shredder be shocked upon realizing that his two large mutant minions were still young "BABIES!!! THEY'RE BABIES!!!". Alas, this film can't escape from an occasionally uneven screenplay, some shark-jumping courtesy of an extended cameo from Vanilla Ice back when he was famous and not some B-list celebrity and preposterous plot. For kids and hardcore TMNT fans, it should be a decent movie. It also serves as a good bit of nostalgia for those who grew up with the original 1990's live-action trilogy...which had an animated sort-of sequel in 2007 like what Bryan Singer did with Superman Returns. Anyone else, however, who watches this movie and hope it lives up to the first film because they loved the first one will probably be left shell shocked. Yes, I know what shell-shocked means. It just feels appropriate in this situation since it involves turtles. Deal with it.
½ June 22, 2017
This much goofier sequel makes no real connection to the original and the recasting of some roles and the alterations to the make-up of the non-human characters unfortunately are downgrades.
½ June 20, 2017
Bit of a meh movie

5.9/10
June 16, 2017
Alright sequel to a magnificent film which made the 90's Rock! As Vanilla Ice once said, "Go Ninja, Go Ninja, Go!"
June 6, 2017
More light-hearted and goofier than its predecessor, but nonetheless, The Secret of the Ooze still shines as a fun guilty pleasure mainly thanks to the once-again excellent FX work by the late Jim Henson.
½ May 25, 2017
Just awesome! I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Man, I love being a nineties kid! (First full viewing - In my early twenties)
½ March 15, 2017
Yet another anti-climatic final battle where this time Shredder kills himself and the Turtles become cowards. Also, Vanilla Ice. ENOUGH SAID!
½ March 8, 2017
Due to conservative, misguided protests from parent groups, this sequel wouldn't feature any cool, difficult martial arts sequences, only wacky slapstick and one liners. The turtles look somewhat dayglo and plastic, the redesign to make them infantile and family-friendly actually just looks fake compared to the original. Worse yet, due to the time and expense for getting legal clearance on two monster characters from the Saturday morning cartoon, two bizarre giant mutants appear from Henson's creature workshop that have nothing to do with the existing cast or franchise. I recommend the original if you need 90's nostalgia or whatever it is that people liked about the first film. (the martial arts sequences)
½ March 6, 2017
Not as good as the first
½ January 17, 2017
Over concerned parents who were upset because they somehow thought the first Ninja turtles film was not appropriate for kids ruined this film. It does all right in the end. Good plot, more great puppetry from Jim Henson Muppets, but in the producers efforts to make the film more comfortable for these over concerned parents, they took a lot of the life and energy of the film away. It could have been a great sequel had they stuck to what worked in the original and ignored these few over concerned parents. All-in-all, the film pretty good though, still better than the third film.
December 31, 2016
Go ninja, go ninja, go!
December 12, 2016
I used to love them as a kid...
½ October 21, 2016
Silly, stupid even. The younger the kids watching it, the more likely that they will find enjoyment therein, but as an adult I found the final 30 minutes downright difficult to finish.
October 12, 2016
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmnnnn.
½ August 27, 2016
Not only is this a major step down from the original Ninja Turtles film, but it makes today's live action turtles look like Oscar winners.

After defeating the shredder, the turtles have grown closer with April O'Neil but struggle to adapt to regular life. However, when a mysterious ooze pops up that is related to their past, they make it their mission to find the last remnants of said ooze. With that being said, they also have not seen the last of the Shredder.

Now, I love the Ninja Turtles. I have ever since I was a kid and they're some of my favorite characters in cinema today. I actually find enjoyment in the newest adaptations and I proudly own the original film and the newest one. With that being said, there's no way I would want to own this adaptation.

First off, I think the turtles were totally misused and underutilized in this film. They're teenagers, yet we never necessarily get that goofy humor that we've grown so accustomed to. Michelangelo, my favorite, failed to make me laugh, and that's really saying something. They don't even have clear distinct personalities or looks, which really makes them hard to relate to or care about. They're ninja, but I don't think they ever used their weapons for combat. Not once were they used to hurt another foe, and at that point it was like, "Why bother give them weapons?"

The story was almost nonexistent and honestly, very boring. I didn't care about the situation at hand and frankly, nothing was ever really explained. Things kind of just happened for no reason and at that point, I was better off going to sleep.

The dialogue was pretty horrendous, if not laughably bad. Nothing here was clever and like I said, the humor was very dry. It was clear they were aiming this movie toward very young kids, but that's never an excuse to have stupid, childish dialogue.

The action was even boring. I get that they're turtles so they're going to have fun when they fight, but their approach to violent situations and the lack of their signature weapons was cringe worthy. Like I said, their weapons were never used once and it was almost pointless that this movie was associated with the Ninja Turtles name.

In the end, it's a movie made for kids and kids only. Adults will not be able to find enjoyment in this film, and being a huge fan of the franchise, I can't even find enjoyment in the film.
½ June 22, 2016
Re-watched this last night for the first time since being utterly disappointed in the movie theaters so many years ago. At the time I was upset that the fighting had become comical to the point of using sausages as nunchuks, that Rock Steady and Beepop were replaced by uninspired monsters, and that Vanilla Ice was in the movie for no reason other than putting Vanilla Ice in the movie. I mostly watched it to screen it before showing it to my kid who likes the Turtles. It is pretty safe for showing to kids, and I'm pretty sure without the expectations, he'll be able to enjoy it. I'm also pretty sure that I can get through it without having to explain who or what Vanilla Ice is/was.
June 22, 2016
Definitely the best Ninja Turtles installment, infinitely better than any of the new films. Would give this 10 stars if possible.