Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - The Secret of the Ooze - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - The Secret of the Ooze Reviews

½ October 21, 2016
Silly, stupid even. The younger the kids watching it, the more likely that they will find enjoyment therein, but as an adult I found the final 30 minutes downright difficult to finish.
October 12, 2016
½ August 27, 2016
Not only is this a major step down from the original Ninja Turtles film, but it makes today's live action turtles look like Oscar winners.

After defeating the shredder, the turtles have grown closer with April O'Neil but struggle to adapt to regular life. However, when a mysterious ooze pops up that is related to their past, they make it their mission to find the last remnants of said ooze. With that being said, they also have not seen the last of the Shredder.

Now, I love the Ninja Turtles. I have ever since I was a kid and they're some of my favorite characters in cinema today. I actually find enjoyment in the newest adaptations and I proudly own the original film and the newest one. With that being said, there's no way I would want to own this adaptation.

First off, I think the turtles were totally misused and underutilized in this film. They're teenagers, yet we never necessarily get that goofy humor that we've grown so accustomed to. Michelangelo, my favorite, failed to make me laugh, and that's really saying something. They don't even have clear distinct personalities or looks, which really makes them hard to relate to or care about. They're ninja, but I don't think they ever used their weapons for combat. Not once were they used to hurt another foe, and at that point it was like, "Why bother give them weapons?"

The story was almost nonexistent and honestly, very boring. I didn't care about the situation at hand and frankly, nothing was ever really explained. Things kind of just happened for no reason and at that point, I was better off going to sleep.

The dialogue was pretty horrendous, if not laughably bad. Nothing here was clever and like I said, the humor was very dry. It was clear they were aiming this movie toward very young kids, but that's never an excuse to have stupid, childish dialogue.

The action was even boring. I get that they're turtles so they're going to have fun when they fight, but their approach to violent situations and the lack of their signature weapons was cringe worthy. Like I said, their weapons were never used once and it was almost pointless that this movie was associated with the Ninja Turtles name.

In the end, it's a movie made for kids and kids only. Adults will not be able to find enjoyment in this film, and being a huge fan of the franchise, I can't even find enjoyment in the film.
½ August 22, 2016
More light-hearted and goofier than its predecessor, but nonetheless, The Secret of the Ooze still shines as a fun guilty pleasure mainly thanks to the once-again excellent FX work by the late Jim Henson.
½ June 22, 2016
Re-watched this last night for the first time since being utterly disappointed in the movie theaters so many years ago. At the time I was upset that the fighting had become comical to the point of using sausages as nunchuks, that Rock Steady and Beepop were replaced by uninspired monsters, and that Vanilla Ice was in the movie for no reason other than putting Vanilla Ice in the movie. I mostly watched it to screen it before showing it to my kid who likes the Turtles. It is pretty safe for showing to kids, and I'm pretty sure without the expectations, he'll be able to enjoy it. I'm also pretty sure that I can get through it without having to explain who or what Vanilla Ice is/was.
June 22, 2016
Definitely the best Ninja Turtles installment, infinitely better than any of the new films. Would give this 10 stars if possible.
½ June 17, 2016
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze is the sequel to the 1990 movie with a different director, almost different cast with Kevin Nash and half the turtles actors in this movie, and only one writer that also co-wrote the first movie. It's about Shredder's return, and he wants revenge on the turtles, which he found out about their origins, and with the ooze, he'll make a weapon out of it. I remember that I've seen the first movie a lot when I was young, I also seen this film too, but not nearly as much as the first one, and I don't remember much about it, and I haven't seen the third film as half the time I didn't even knew that there was a third one. So with this one, it's a step down from the first one, but it's a decent film that was more towards kids then it was towards kids and adults for the first film. The fight scenes are still cool to watch, even if some are a bit more childish than before. The acting for the turtles is really good, and even though there was a replacement for April O'Nell, Paige Turco is still a better April O'Nell than Megan Fox. Shredder is a cool villain, and Tokka and Rahzar are kind of funny in this. There are some characteristics from the turtles, but they are kind of brief and kids wouldn't really remember it. It's even more corny to the point of being really cheesy, and the humor is not as funny as the first one. The best part of the film, which is also the stupidest part of it, is when the turtles got to a club to face Tokka and Rahzar, and Vanilla Ice is the main performer, and when he sees them fighting, he starts rapping a song about them. It's enjoyably stupid and I was also singing it. When it got to the last fight between the turtles and Shredder, it lead to an even more anticlimactic end that got me disappointed. Nonetheless, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze is a fun film that I wish it had the same tone as the first one did which would've made for a better film.
½ June 8, 2016
go ninja go ninja go! classic as a child! Hard to watch now as i cant help but notice and hate how the weapons never connect on the enemy in this film after parents cried after what they seen as too hard core action for kids in first film
May 5, 2016
awesome movie absolutely loved it
½ April 23, 2016
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze (1991) ? 1/2
Another gratuitous sequel has the turtles face Shredder again when he plans to create new mutations with the same mysterious ooze that formed the turtles. Dreary, mind-numbing, argh!
April 17, 2016
It might be nostalgia talking, but anyways... Cowabunga!
April 4, 2016
Campy and wacky. The beauty of the first film is gone, but at least it's still watchable.
½ March 29, 2016
Fun silly movie
Wish it was as darker as the 1st movie
But still has lots of charm
½ January 29, 2016
Dumber goofier and cheezier than the first one. Sometimes fun but often awful or just forgettable.
½ January 21, 2016
Even though it's a little bit more kid friendly,which I did like, and they really didn't use their weapons in the whole movie, I still really enjoyed.
½ January 11, 2016
It is painfull to see, how this movie reacted to the reviews of its predecessor, especially those complains made by parents (who claimed TMNT supports the use of weapons and makes fighting look funny). I'm sorry, but that's what TMNT is about, and it was the gravestone of this movie. The weapons stay attached ot the turtles, the fights are even more silly than in the last movie, and the dialogues are getting worse by the second. Watch this movie for nostalgia only!
January 3, 2016
La desastrosa secuela de "Las Tortugas Ninja" pierde todas las cualidades de la primera entrega y resalta todos sus defectos: esta es una película idiota, mal dirigida, mal actuada y con una interpretación del rappero Vanilla Ice que hay que ver para creer.
½ December 26, 2015
It's one of my guilty pleasures.
December 2, 2015
Poor plot, poor acting, Poor writing, poor action.