The Company Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Company Men Reviews

½ October 11, 2016
A demanding film that wins us over little by little, tackling a downbeat topic with a slow, careful approach and asking us to be patient because the result will certainly be rewarding, and its main strength lies in three exceptional performances by Jones, Affleck and Cooper.
April 2, 2016
rich people problems. at one point in this movie ben afflecks son sells his xbox cause they say they cant afford it which is bullshit even people on they dole can afford xbox there lliving in a mansion when this happens ill point out.
March 25, 2016
The most underrated and under appreciated movie of the decade. One of my 50 favorite films.
January 17, 2016
I liked it a lot - all fine actors.
December 21, 2015
Breaking and rebound of the American dream. Ok watch.
½ December 16, 2015
Taps in well to anyone who's been going along fine in a job and then suddenly dumped on unexpectedly for no fault of their own. There's a lot of us!
½ December 12, 2015
Kind of generic in its direction (though Deakins is obviously an asset), and it feels sketchy character-wise towards the beginning, probably due to the over-focus on Affleck's character to the detriment of others (also all the women are basically ciphers). But I kinda got into it in the second half, where the lack of a solid plot arc turns it into a bit of a hangout movie, and with that ensemble I found its simple charms hard to resist. Also Tommy Lee Jones gives a monologue straight out of season 2 of The Wire and I mean, come on.
November 19, 2015
One of the best movies I have ever seen. The themes of "success" and loss resonate throughout. As a Trade Compliance professional for a defense contractor, I have witnessed many ups and downs of the business world. This movie gave me insight into what perhaps goes on behind the scenes and the cavalier way in which people's lives are torn apart by billionaires running Fortune 500 companies and trying to meet Wallstreet expectations.
½ September 15, 2015
A guy gets fired. Then 2 more get fired. 2 hours later, one kills himself, one starts his own company and hires the other. The end.
March 26, 2015
Ultra-realistic drama involving the aftermath of corporate downsizing and the resulting economic hardships that follow
½ March 1, 2015
I like this movie. About men in their 40's and 50's who have to deal with having to start over after losing their jobs. It's about trying to reevaluate their life and their existence. It's about men coping with reality and realizing that money isn't everything. It's how u live your life that matters the most.

Ben Affleck. Chris cooper. Tommy lee jones. Maria bello and Kevin Costner are terrific as is the script by writer director John Wells.

Worth a look.
February 20, 2015
A decent portrayal of the good, the bad and the ugly effects of redundancy but falls short of creating ground-breaking material.
½ February 9, 2015
Disney does the effects of the Banking collapse on the upper echelon white collars.

Its a sanitised, pedestrian walk through the impact of unemployment. There is a genuine horror story here of corporate greed and stupidity bringing our financial system to the brink of collapse but its barely hinted at. Its hard to find any sympathy for these characters who would have been part of that folly. The plight of the millions of ordinary people whose lives were devastated isnt even given a nod.

The standard issue saccharin dipped ending is an insult to those millions
December 24, 2014
You feel for these characters if you've ever experienced losing a job and the struggle of finding one afterwards.
December 2, 2014
People with money, people with too much money, people with too much dependence on money. Welcome to the new age of failing capitalism.
½ November 26, 2014
The story is quite flat and stereotypical. No ups and downs. Everything goes as expected and, of course, we have a hopeful positive ending for the needs of the US viewer.

The cast is impressive and direction, cut and performances are OK.
November 23, 2014
It's the typical "I've lost my job, now what do I do?" movie, featuring million-dollar execs. So... basically, we're given little reason to care. Oh, you may have to sell your home for 850k? Bummer. Leave your gold-digging wife for the hot younger blonde you've been keeping on the side? Tragic. Your wife may have to WORK?! WTF is this world coming to?! The performances are fine (good cast at least) but the story is colour-by-numbers (6-figure numbers). The fact that it all works out for most just undermines the story that much more. No need to catch this one.
October 27, 2014
At it's core, it's a meditation on what it's like to lose your job when you have so much invested in it.
October 11, 2014
3/5 --- Desperate times mean desperate people, good movie...