The Creeping Terror (Dangerous Charter) (The Crawling Monster) Reviews

• Apr 07, 2020

Memorable! A true classic. It should be seen and seen again. The philosophical, psychological, design subtleties, literary allusions, cinematography ... I could go on. If you are into silent B&W films, long thoughtful interludes, and profound logic, this film has it all. It ends far too soon. It could have been as good as Plan 9 if it hadn't been made.

• Oct 02, 2019

A voiceover narration which continues for the duration of the film is the only thing which keeps this mess together in a somewhat coherent fashion. While there are some wholesome messages present in this Z-film, most of it relies on common tropes as the plant-slug-alien-monster hungrily feasts upon the residents of this small town. The creature is impervious to any assaults the local police and townsfolk offer. Terrible acting, mediocre cinematography (appears to be several different film types pieced together, though), and most of the dialogue is over-dubbed. As a whole, its overt terribleness makes me like it more than I should.

• Jul 25, 2018

Some movies fail in every conceivable aspect to such an extent that they become unintentionally hilarious. This category includes such illustrious films as Plan 9 from Outer Space, Manos: Hands of Fate, and The Room. To that list, I would like to add a lesser-known "gem" - Vic Savage's The Creeping Terror. As with many of these films, there is an interesting story behind The Creeping Terror - it was allegedly created as part of a scam. Besides scamming investors, the director stiffed the man he hired to create the monster costume, who then proceeded to leave in protest, taking his creature costume with him. The result was the shag carpet monster seen in the completed film. Reportedly, someone also lost the soundtrack - the sound in the final film is composed of bad ADR, overly serious narration, and atrocious, repetitive music and stock sound effects. It is apparent what kind of movie The Creeping Terror is before the film has passed the 5-minute mark. After a conversation between two of the leads which showcases the poor quality of the cinematography and the amateurish writing given to the narrator, the movie attempts to show an alien spaceship landing. I say "attempts" because I honestly had no idea what was going on the first time I watched this film. The effects shot of the alien ship approaching earth employs the bizarre technique of smearing Vaseline on a camera lens and filming a truck (the spaceship) driving past on a stretch of highway with streetlights standing in for stars. The film then cuts to stock footage of a rocket launch, except played in reverse so the engine appears to be sucking in the exhaust. Returning to the monster, one of the most important parts of any creature feature, it looks like a pile of soiled quilts with some rubber tubing sticking out of its head, and the shoes of the high school students carrying the creature can occasionally be seen projecting from under the costume. Not only is the creature ugly and unthreatening in design, but its behavior prevents it from coming off as a credible threat. The creature moves at less than walking pace, and at one point, someone outruns it by crawling. It also visibly struggles to push past folding tables and chairs during the dance hall scene. This makes the human characters look like complete morons, as they could easily escape the creature simply by walking in the opposite direction, but instead sit there and scream until it eats them. Unsurprisingly, the human characters are incredibly uninteresting. Furthermore, the main characters fail to accomplish anything at any point in the movie. The most the movie attempts to do with its characters is incorporate a subplot about how Barney, one of the police officers, is in the wrong for being a bachelor. Several extended sequences also focus on random characters doing completely irrelevant and uninteresting things. For instance, the dance hall scene starts with an extended sequence of people dancing before the creature teleports into the room (it doesn't appear to enter through a door). The Creeping Terror is a rare example of a movie with no positive qualities. It feels like a film made by a handful of adolescents who were given a few thousand dollars and group of community theater actors and asked to make a feature film. It is also a fascinating film, in the sense of a 10-car pileup caused by reckless driving. The film is so unbelievably incompetent and amateurish and produced for such cynical reasons that I can't give it an even give a slightly positive review, no matter how much schadenfreude I took from its sheer incompetence.

• Jun 24, 2018

Oh good lord. This film. The Creeping Terror (which like many terrible films I've seen, I first saw on MST3K) is just BAD. However its a so-bad-its-good film. The dialogue is laughable, characters are stupid, we have a monster made out of carpets (not kidding), and is just so enjoyable. Not much more to explain, just watch it. You'll have a fun time.

• Dec 10, 2016

In the fim, two aliens arrive in a flying saucer. They are there to eat humans, to see there weaknesses(which we don't find out until the end), so aliens can plan an invasion. One of them stays in the saucer for some reason, while the other roams the counry side devouring people too stupid to run away, for example a young mother, a grand-father and grand-son, a cop( who didn't even have to die, but went too close to the giant throw rugs in the saucer, who couldn't even hurt him, as they were strapped in, but whatever), a couple making love,(which had the only person in the film smart enough to run away, BTW), and an entire dance hall, with what I assume was prom going on at, even though it was noon. There, also was a piano there that was trying to be scary, but.. Then the thing devoured a whole group of Hippies, who were just too high to scream. The it went to Lover's lane, where it flipped over a car that literally just came from a junkyard, as it had no tires, huge dents and graffiti on it. It then proceeded to take down a whole group of ARMED soldiers, but was then shot to death by Vic Savage. Then the other finally came out, and somebody ran into it, but not before half devouring some douchebag doctor I didn't care about. Without the extra scenes of the giant penis looking thing with a vagina head eating people, the film would have had a run time of seven minutes The review: I was overcome with HORROR watching a rug devouring several retarded hillbillys who lived in a nuclear gas testing area, as that is the only place in the world where would only stand there, looking shocked, as an alien tarp-pipe -cleaner contraption devours them whole, through a vagina in its neck. But who knows, maybe i'm wrong, and these people were just standing there, trying to comprehend why the HELL they agreed to be in that movie, and why the thing attacking them looked like looked like a giant mound of mushy broccoli and pipe cleaners, with what appeared to be tennis shoes sticking out from under it. But who knows, maybe the vagina-mouthed rug stopped at a shoe store, to get a nice new pair of kicks, before it went on its murderous rampage, devouring a couple hundred braindead hicks. "But damn," he wrote," they got a star-studded cast to be in it, like the guy who did the sex ed documentaries in the 50s, as he did 95% of the movie's dialogue." He then wrote about how he found the third person dialogue to be hilarious. It was QUITE the scaving review! The acting was also horrendous, as at least twice( in the few moments of actual dialogue) a character was speaking without there lips moving. Also, everyones' scream sounded the same as they were being devoured. Also, you could clearly see arms helping the poor people into the tarp, which the extras steered with the utmost grace of a retarded chimpanzee.The ending was the only good part of the film for two reasons. A. It was finally over. B. The ending, while actually being kinda dumb, was still the smartest part of the film, so Yah!

• Nov 19, 2016

Terrible, but laughably enjoyable at the same time! I would recommend watching the MST3K version though! Overall the film is terribly directed, incoherent, drab, and the victims are so damn stupid (come on you can run away from this slow-ass carpet alien-thing!).

• Jul 12, 2016

If your idea of "terror" is being slowly pursued and swallowed whole by a heap of carpets and some tubing, prepare to have the life scared out of you!

• Mar 16, 2016

The Creeping Terror is bad but I have seen worse. The monster is a joke and it features the kid is terrifying faces that the camera languishes on where the character could totally run away but doesn't. How many good movies were ever completely overdubbed? For all of the flaws, I am kind of entertained by this and like the rock and roll dance sequence. It can be a chore to get through

• Jan 18, 2016

The Creeping Terror is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I know such a thing is often declared following a miserable cinematic experience, but I say it with every single ounce of my being. It is completely irredeemable; horrible and painful on every possible level. Not a single thing is done well or even competently, as if the unscrupulous Vic Savage was going for some kind of record for how much he could screw up the production. For me the whole thing wasn't even amusing in an ironic way. There's more narration than dialogue, and it's often superimposed over scenes of actual conversation, explaining to us what is being said. The light balance is dreadful, making it look as if filming took place during a nuclear fallout. The plot is beyond ridiculous, the special effects are abysmal, and the alien creature we're all supposed to fear resembles a giant, unkempt fur coat draped over a handful of no-doubt uncomfortable extras who awkwardly shuffle about the area with all the grace of a drunken dad at a wedding reception. If the monster is good for anything, it's reducing the number of brain dead people in the state of California, since every single person who dies in this movie only does so because, upon seeing a giant, slithering slug from outer space, they chose to remain still and look shocked rather than, you know, running like Hell in the opposite direction. In terms of filmmaking competency, this is actually worse than Manos: The Hands of Fate. I realise that isn't a statement that should be made lightly, but that film was at least in colour, and despite it all being dubbed there was still the illusion that the characters were speaking to each other. There was also much less filler, and the people in it had some semblance of survival instinct. The Creeping Terror, or more accurately, The Shambling Nuisance, is 76 minutes of inexcusably dumb people being killed by a laughably designed antagonist, filmed with little care or attention by someone who doesn't know the slightest thing about movie making. I watched purely out of morbid curiosity, and will forever pay the price for doing so.

• Jul 05, 2015

This isn't a movie. A real movie has actual characters that talk and not just a bunch of stock footage with a narrator talking over it.