The Vintner's Luck - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Vintner's Luck Reviews

July 9, 2015
Very slow and artfully made. Maybe a little too slow. Felt like fast forwarding it.
August 26, 2013
i have seen great films in my life. this one is in the top 10. great hidden messages and what a great metaphor to this we call life.
½ March 21, 2013
Very different movie, it sort of reminds me a lot of the movie 'Wings of Desire' (which is a master piece when it comes to angels). Who knew that an angel can have a great taste when it comes to wine. Truly like the metaphor dialogue between him and the angel. He is a peasant trying to make something better for his family but for his future. They're test trials in his life that he must in endure, life is not easy and that's when he tends to fall for things that bring him comfort. Life is meant to have pain so more happiness can also come. This movie truly has its art specially when the angel is up in the air, it sort of reminded of a theater play.
February 16, 2013
Wonderful photography, dreamy, captivating music, but also a bit slow and parts muddled. The supernatural part gets a bit too much for my taste. But still worth a watch if you want to see something different.
½ September 22, 2012
Well-made, though sometimes you have to fill in some of the details.
July 23, 2012
A very moving picture also known as "A Heavenly Vintage"
August 15, 2011
not sure what the film actually wanted to teach, i really liked the story and the acting, even though the age wasn't so obvious in the faces of the aging actors (i guess the make-up was the problem)!
June 6, 2011
This film, which transports us to 19th century France, is so beautiful in so many ways. It seeps in and touches you with the delicacy of a fine wine. The pace of it let's you digest each moment and allows you to linger in a wonderful world of passion, desire, spiritedness as well as death and anguish. Which is why I loved the film so much...the duality of it. It's not like your typical Hollywood movie in which one thing or another is forced onto you. The film takes you on a journey where you can think about, and more importantly feel the duality of life...the duality of your own life. It awakens an understanding within yourself through the characters and script.
The acting is superb...Vera Farmiga is at her best and Keisha Castle-Hughes has become a fierce woman with such raw vibrancy I was wishing for more of her.
The script takes the kind of turns and risks you can only hope for when watching a film. Filled with such feeling and thought it's a tale that lingers on long after leaving the theater....isn't that what art is all about.
½ June 1, 2011
This is a wonderful film and a sweeping love letter to passion. No boxed wine allowed when sitting down to enjoy this movie. Splurge on a big, fat, earthy red and indulge in both.
May 2, 2011
A winemaker is coached by a wise spirit in this fantasy set in the early 19th Century, based on a novel by Elizabeth Knox. Sobran Jodeau (Jeremie Renier) is a poor but hard-working man who helps the Comte de Vully (Patrice Valota) grow grapes but hopes to some day oversee his own vineyard and make world-class wine. Sobran is also deeply in love with Celeste (Keisha Castle-Hughes), a lovely women whose family has been touched by emotional instability. One night, Sobran is visited by Xas (Gaspard Ulliel), a guardian angel who offers to help him with his dream of becoming a vintner; Xas pledges to visit Sobran one every year to sample his wine and give him advice. However, Xas warns Sobran that like great art, great wine often is the product of sacrifice and suffering, and with the passage of time Sobran is visited by both kind and cruel fate. Sobran and Celeste are wed, and after the death of the Comte de Vully, his heir the Baroness Aurora de Valday (Vera Farmiga) puts Sobran in charge of the winery. But Sobran's skill alone doesn't produce exceptional wine, and it's not until he's touched by tragedy that he is able to produce a vintage that speaks of a full life. THE VINTNER'S LUCK received its world premiere at the 2009 Toronto International Film Festival.

isn't this an old movie, why is it releasing now? well i saw this movie on TV, wasn't looking forward for it or was excited but i just did without any idea what this movie was all about. it was a very weird movie with strong performances. i didn't just get into this movie but all i know is that it was about vineyard or something. it has some fantasy elements too which was strange but i liked performances from this movie. it wasn't written very well. many places were hollow in it. could have been much better.
February 6, 2011
Sobran learns what life is from Xas through winemaking. The film also tells us what life is. However, the relationship between Sobran and Xas is a bit strange. It causes a love square (?).
½ October 30, 2010
Pas mal, mais c'est un peu long et c'est quand même bizarre en anglais cependant l'histoire de vin, d'un vigneron et ça se passe à Bourgogne :p

La chose la plus bizarre est que la femme de h (C)ros n'a jamais vieilli pourtant les autres(sauf l'Ange(Gaspard Ulliel), c'est normal il n'est pas humain :p) sont devenus vieux :D
October 12, 2010
I love you keisha but this just wasnt as good as i hoped
½ October 7, 2010
Niki Caro whose past two films were the well received Whale Rider and North Country falls entirely flat with this brutal film. Despite starring Vera Farmiga this film did not (and has not yet) made its way to American screens and likely will stay away. The story is about a winemaker who strives to make the perfect wine - and is willing to sell his soul to do so. Renier is nearly emotionless; the French countryside has never looked so drab and what is with his wife staying the same age as time passes? Incredibly tedious to sit through.
September 19, 2010
This is a story on how to make your passion a dream come true. It takes desire and hard work to make your dream come true and with a little help of luck in a form of an angel, as Sobran thought the angel was his luck. The most memorable line that Xas uttered was ??Not all angels come from heaven??, which only means he is an angel from hell, which I thought is even cooler. An angel from hell how loves wine, that??s just cool. But he??s an angel who is in between heaven and hell and thus he call himself a guardian angel. This time, I see another guy-on-guy make out. Xas and Sobran was making out, but lightly. It was interesting to see since one was an angel, it is expected to see some flight during the make out. It was just weird to see Gaspard Ulliel playing an angel when I so admired him as the devilish Hannibal Lector. But seeing him on his first visit with Sobran, I was convinced, he can truly be one hot guardian angel, if only he could be my own.
½ September 17, 2010
Murderous adapation of a nice book
June 29, 2010
A unusual story. Interesting. Not to everyone's like I think.
June 27, 2010
An odd and muddled supernatural story that Farmiga's performance keeps relatively engaging.