The Artist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Artist Reviews

November 26, 2016
One of the greatest films I have ever seen. A real treat for any film addict
November 25, 2016
The Artist [Hazanavicius, 2011] Very artistically and playfully well done. 8/10
½ November 24, 2016
I heard a lot about this film, and before watching it I was afraid I could find it boring. Luckily I was wrong. The artist is a love letter to movies, a sizzling homage to the 20s, the 30s and to the magic of cinema, be it silent or not. Absolutely loved the direction, which perfectly conveyed the 20s feeling, as well as the little details such as the use of sound only in specific scenes. The two leads are perfectly cast, their expressions and acting are flawless. Kudos to the dog and its performance and to the director and the producers, who found the courage to make a movie like this in 2011! Ultimately uplifing and cheerful, The Artist is bound to mesmerize you.
October 20, 2016
One of the greatest French films ever.
½ October 1, 2016
Me gusta mucho que hayan hecho una película muda en el 2011, a pesar de que sea muda, no es aburrida, la historia me entretuvo y las actuaciones son buenas y el final me gustó mucho.
September 25, 2016
A must see for film students evereywhere! Let me rephrase that: A must see for everyone everywhere! I do not say this lightly, but this movie is as close to perfection as it gets. The script is very intelligent and sets up a deep dilemma that I did not completely understand until the very end of the movie. What a great payoff! The cinematography and direction are exemplary of what a visual medium is all about, and making not only a silent movie but shooting it in black and white was a daring and the right call in 2011. The cast is adorable, every character highly memorable and the performances are convincing and moving all the way. One of the best movies I've ever seen.
½ August 8, 2016
The Artist is a rare gem which celebrates all that is glorious about cinema, while also being a standout film itself. Jean Dujardin is perfectly cast as George Valentin, a dashing, debonair silent movie star at the top of his game. He's self-absorbed and unwilling to fully share the spotlight with his co-stars, but is still infinitely likable, mostly because he's not only excellent at what he does, but because he loves it so deeply. Dismissing the rise of 'talkies' as a passing fad, we witness him spiral into personal depression and professional redundancy especially when someone younger and feistier is threatening to supplant him. What makes this so clever is that Peppy, vibrantly played by the gorgeous Brnice Bejo, knocks him off the top spot by exhibiting the exact same charm and good looks that made Valentin such a star in the first place. Despite many scenes which drag, particularly in the middle, and often appear to be unnecessarily maudlin and drawn out, The Artist is overall a funny, sharp and deeply touching film that uses minimal dialogue, a perfectly apt soundtrack, stellar performances, clever symbolism and possibly the most talented on-screen animal in cinematic history to remind us why movies have meant so much to us over the years, and why their magic has endured the test of time.
August 6, 2016
Great throwback to the silent era with amazing character arcs. If you always felt curiosity in the bygone era of silent cinema then you'll find something to like in this one and it's modernization of past storylines. Also good to note the charming performances of the two protagonists.
July 17, 2016
For the love of God, watch this with a significant other or a hopeful significant other. It doesn't get more charmingly romantic than this.
July 13, 2016
This lovely and poetic homage from our days to Cinema and the Golden Age of Hollywood silent movies is proof that a silent black-and-white film with a 4:3 aspect ratio can be so much better than many modern talkies, with wonderful performances by Dujardin, Bejo and Uggy the dog.
½ June 25, 2016
Kinda compelling, but as like a concept you know?
½ June 14, 2016
It changed my mind about black and white and silent films. Jean Dujardin and B (C)r (C)nice Bejo both were fantastic. I don't want it to win best picture at the scars but if it does I would understand.
½ June 11, 2016
Starts off very slow and boring. Picks up as it goes along with drama and plotting. The dog is quite wonderful as a side character and i liked how they played with sound in a dream. Thats just it this movie has some charms and quirks but just missed the mark on the whole. i find this movie overrated and quite honestly too copy cattish. I know this movie is an ode to silent films but it didn't really add much in terms of originality. It borrows heavily from sunset blvd, singing in the rain, and a star is born. Also most silent films have more dialogue or action than this movie-too bland.
June 6, 2016
Really cute and heart warming!
½ June 2, 2016
The artist pays homage to our classic age of film, but I'm glad movies have dialogue now. The lead performances were excellent and the film was well made. I just couldn't get myself fully wrapped around the story because it was very slow and got pretty depressing at times. It was cool to see a film fully pledged to impressing its audience with actions alone, but I cannot commend it for best picture
May 24, 2016
Interesting take on the progression/creativity of film, even despite the Great Depression.
May 14, 2016
More a great gimmick than a good movie.
½ May 8, 2016
In many regards, looking at the plot elements, it's basically a poor imitation of Singing in the Rain. The use of subtitles was inconsistent, so many conversation were missed. Neither of the main characters were relatable. The progression of the story itself was a bit choppy. In the end it was rather dull, and the characters were entirely forgettable.
April 25, 2016
Is it all a gimmick? Possibly. Does that make it any less charming? No chance.

This is a thrilling and endlessly charming homage to the glory days of movie stars and red carpets; before tabloids and TMZ.
April 18, 2016
Nods to several classic films, though I see a story arc which makes The Artist a cross between Sullivan's Travels & A Star is Born. Of course casting the director's wife - he must have written the script with her in mind - also harkens back to the silent era. She should be credited as the muse for Michel's Oscars.