The Artist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Artist Reviews

July 19, 2017
Beautiful and heartfelt. Amazing!
July 4, 2017
not a fan of silent movies
July 3, 2017
With comedic moments (the dog is perhaps one of the best on-screen dogs I've seen in a very, very long time), touching moments and charm, The Artist is a beautifully written and paced story of one of the most important time periods in film history.
June 26, 2017
I'm Only Going To Use Black And White Just For Flashbacks.
June 20, 2017
A comedy, a drama, but ultimately a love story, this silent b&w movie within a silent b&w movie harks back to the silent movie era and a man trying to find his place in a changing world. Beautifully shot with some interesting angles and scenes, this fascinating movie is a rewarding experience for all movie buffs. Superb performances from all, including the dog. My favourite film of 2011. AAW GGWM. 1001
½ May 26, 2017
Clever but predictable.
May 8, 2017
A perfect film, clever, funny, and sad, I highly recommend it!
April 29, 2017
ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES I'VE SEEN!!°
½ February 28, 2017
I can't think of anything more courageous, than to make a silent movie in the 21st century. "The Artist" is an excellent period piece and a stroke of cinematic genius.
February 27, 2017
A gimmick and nothing more.
February 24, 2017
What an absolute masterpiece.
February 22, 2017
Great story, great plot, great execution, and even tickles the emotions a bit. The dog was amazing, and everything was amazing in this movie. Definitely recommend this movie as a 'date night' movie :)
February 15, 2017
I loved this movie the first time I saw it in theaters, and I still loved it the second time I saw it, nearly six years later. Michel Hazanavicius writes and directs a masterpiece that throws movie fans back to the silent film era, while guiding them through a story about one silent film actor becoming a victim of the transition to "talkies," and a fledgling actress who, by way of contrast, takes advantage of the opportunity to partake in the cinematic revolution of film's marriage to sound. As one could expect, their lives take two different and opposite turns, though they also intersect with each other throughout, both in their interactions with each other and the life and times that each character witnesses via the rough-and-tumble world of the movies around the Stock Market Crash. A wonderful story of fate and destiny, told by human emotion and drama, while actual dialogue takes a supporting role, supported throughout by Ludovic Bource's fantastic score. Within today's lens of technological achievement, including the mile-a-minute advances replacing those forgotten or left behind, the silent film era's decline was more than a transition in cinema; it was also a prophecy for the human costs and consequences of modernity's progress, and to consider this film historical drama would not be too inaccurate in that context. A must-watch for all movie fans. 5 out of 5 stars.
½ January 28, 2017
I didn't hate it but neither loved it. Its a great homage to silent films, just not my cup of tea and probably not a rewatchable film in my opinion. C+
½ January 25, 2017
Really, really enjoyed this. If you love movies you will love this.
January 22, 2017
Imagine Singing in the Rain if it was in black and white, had no songs and far fewer jokes and good dance routines. I loved the silent Hollywood era, so I really wanted to like this. But although it is competent enough, I found it very disappointing, given the critical acclaim it received. The dog is cute though.
January 9, 2017
Why was this movie so wonderful! This post is late, but I was still late as shit watching it. This a beautiful tale about how an artist can start believing their own hype to the point of self destruction. It's okay to change with the times if you're open to it. And most all done silently. It's a beautiful story of man versus man. Even when there are people holding you up, there's always going to be you. If you don't believe in yourself, then there's nothing else that can be done. Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo do an exceptional job with the Hollywood of yesteryear and show you how much fame can be fleeting. But, just the right spark can put you back on top!
January 9, 2017
The type of silent film that reminds you of the classics from the early days of film.
January 7, 2017
Great movie! I never thought I could enjoy a silent film but this film changed that. This movie is very fun to watch and a quick pace. A great time piece movie. Unbelievable acting, directing, and score. I loved the dancing and could watch George Valentin and Peggy Miller dance all day.
November 26, 2016
One of the greatest films I have ever seen. A real treat for any film addict