The Artist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Artist Reviews

April 18, 2018
Charming and wonderfully entertaining.
March 30, 2018
A film that will make you smile ear to ear, Michel Hazanavicius' novelty film plays with the old school style of silent film to capture a time in the history of Hollywood where silent film was transitioning out of favor because of the innovation of the talkies. It's storyline is about the fall of an older star as he refuses to accept the changes in his industry and the rise of a younger one who helps him in the end get back on his feet. While the story's premise isn't exactly original, the resurrection of silent film to capture it is. With this in mind, it couldn't have been successful without its production design, costumes, direction and performances from its stellar cast of French main-stays Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo. Most importantly, though, above all is the gorgeous musical score by Ludovic Bource which fills the emotional void left from the film's lack of dialogue. Overall, this film is an absolute crowd-pleaser that will leave you charmed to tears.
March 24, 2018
I am speechless too.
½ March 10, 2018
I can't think of anything more courageous, than to make a silent movie in the 21st century. "The Artist" is an excellent period drama and love-letter to cinema's silent era.
February 10, 2018
If you, like me, have a soft spot for the silent era, then you'll find The Artist completely irresistible. The chemistry between Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo is majastic. And Uggy was quite outstanding too!
January 26, 2018
A capricious whim of a movie,banking on nostalgia. Noting the overly simple story and direction, and with the performances (which are nothing extraordinary, Dujardin is charming, not superb) being technically limited by no sound, the only appeal this movie has is nostalgia.

A movie made for those slightly annoying people that always wish they lived "in a simpler time". The dog was great though.
December 30, 2017
BEST PICTURE 2011: George Valentin is a silent movie star and at the top of his game when the invention of talkies sees his career freefall for his stubbornness restricts him from taking acting roles. His leading lady Peppy Miller becomes the hottest actress in Hollywood whilst George falls into depression. Only Peppy, Clifton the butler, and his dog can save him. An outstanding homage to the classic days of filmmaking in Hollywood in the 1920s, with a stunning soundtrack to match. Filmed in black and white and without sound, it really makes you watch the action and take in every detail
½ December 21, 2017
A surprisingly deep and poignant film that reminds us of a lost time in Cinema.
½ December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Divertida y reflexiva, además de enriquecedora para los fans del cine.
December 9, 2017
A beautiful masterpiece!
½ December 7, 2017
The whole thing is so damn clever and charming, it might just sneak off with Best Picture
November 27, 2017
This was a good French movie. Moving and kept my attention.
November 9, 2017
The Artist was a delightful and joyous experience I had seeing in theaters. Plus, a satisfying tribute to the magic of silent cinema. The masterpiece is a real crowd-pleaser that reflects just why we go to the movies. Its the must see film of 2011. Charlie Chaplin would be proud.
November 8, 2017
I much prefer Laurel and Hardy
November 4, 2017
When the film opens, my dad leans over to my mom and whispers "I didn't know this was a silent movie." Yes Dad, it is. So if your one for sound (or happen to be blind) steer clear. The Artist follows silent film actor George Valentine (Juan Dujardin) as his life spirals out of control due to the new invention of "talkies" or films with sound. This brings us back to the heyday of movies, back when Hollywood wasn't rocked by scandals every thirty minutes and when people exaggerated their every move. This is a fantastic, excellent film that is tied between The Descendants (in my opinion) for best film of 2011. I laughed, I almost cried, I felt for the characters and I felt as if I were there in the film. A must see for all.
November 3, 2017
I don't get it. A story that's been told. The acting was very good and nicely directed, but not special. This maybe the first movie that has won so many awards that I can't see how it is beating out others. I have not seen all the best picture movies candidates. I have two other candidate movies I like much better. I have read some of the RT reviews and still confused. One person writes original. another the story was very basic.
½ November 3, 2017
A heartwarming experiment in cinematography that manages to tell a story almost entirely without words.
October 30, 2017
Fresh idea, Dujardin's excellent acting, all in all, really good movie, we can freely call art
October 29, 2017
The film's direction is flawless! We experience an inspired modern day silent black and white film and showcases the heart of the genre: show, don't tell.
October 17, 2017
A clear portrait of the changes in work and life that not many are willing to overcome.